5.0 out of 5 stars This album is not to be missed if you like Steely Dan
Admittedly i am only 16 but i do know good music when i hear it and this album is the perfect example of good music. The whole albums laid back feel is so wonderful and i rate it very highly. The song 'Babylon Sisters' has a horn section that is absolutely beautiful and the brass is what makes the song really amazing. 'Hey Nineteen' always makes me smile just because i...
Published on 18 Aug 2004 by sam bull

2.0 out of 5 stars Gaucho SACD revisited
Several years ago I gave this disc a very low score for sound quality, claiming that the 16-bit reissue was dramatically better. This seems to have provoked some strong responses from other users, so I've pulled out this disc once more, and compared the stereo mix to the red book CD in the hope of being proved wrong.

Current playback system? Sony XA9000ES...
Published on 31 Oct 2003 by Daniel Klimcke

5.0 out of 5 stars extraordinary, 15 May 2010
This review is from: Gaucho (Audio CD)
It's easy to be precious about music. This, however, is one of the best LPs of the several hundred I own. It is brilliantly produced so sounds good on your hi-fi. The musicianship is outstanding. Buy it, preferably on LP!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate cool grooves, 9 May 2010
Doyle (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gaucho (Audio CD)
I was introduced to Gaucho by a friend in 1980/81, about the time it came out. I'd heard bits and pieces of the 'Dan' before then....reelin in the years and do it again which I thought was ok but I was probably more into zeppelin, sabbath, lizzy etc at the time. What impressed me about Gaucho was its relaxed feel. It was something that I played before going to sleep and I mean that in the most complimentary way. Anyway, I lost the tape but there was something about it that got inder my skin and Gaucho sat on my mental list of 'music to purchase for ages.
Since early 1980's I have heard other Dan stuff (can't claim to be a Dan 'head' but loved Can't buy a thrill, esp. Elliott Randall'ssuperb guitar work on reelin.... and 'kings,' and also loved other bits and pieces like 'Black Friday' Show Biz Kids' Rikki... etc, and by the same token there was a fair bit that I Wasn't too crazy about (most of 'aja' for example.....and I hope some crazed Dan fan doesn't accuse me of blasphemy!!)..........that's my 'Dan' experience in a larger than intended nutshell
.....When 'Gaucho' dropped through the letter box, I played it almost immediatley in anticipation of the sublime bass groove of 'babylon sisters' - I thought that was becker playing but its not, and it was every bit as cool as in 1981, but I couldn't stop and probably haven't had the cd off in the last 3 weeks. My favourites are babylon,,,hey nineteen and the deliciously melodic but bittersweet lyric of Gaucho, but all the way through there isn't a 'dud' tune. The lyrics, the musicianship and the feel of the music are second to none. New first choice Dan album for me....that's the one to take to a desert island if limited to one (if 2, then closely followed by Can't buy a thrill.....hey, I might even re-approach 'aja' with a fresh set of ears. As for 'Gaucho' - do yerself a favour, go on and buy it....swap 'Physical Graafitti' for it if you have to!! (Now THAT is Blasphemy!!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars STEELYDANTASTIC, 14 July 2009
A. F. Lowe "Boris" (Newark U K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gaucho (Audio CD)
S.Dan have been my fave band since very early 70's ALL their albums are brill !!

5.0 out of 5 stars laid back brazen, 27 Aug 2009
This review is from: Gaucho (Audio CD)
My son said: I like this, don't love it, why do you think it's so good? I said: It's so slick it should have been a crime. Actually, you cannot answer that question or most any about SD without a couple of years. But in a couple of minutes, here goes. Even Cole Porter's back-handed lyrics, song-stretching melodies and definitive harmonies are far from this, and this stuff distills my generation, musically, lyrically, morally, philosophically, politically, ironically. Gaucho is too funny and too complex to recite for meaning, much less play without the full band - just listen. Babylon Sisters makes life look like the smoothest SF trip until you crash. Larry Carlton's guitar solo on Third World Man sets the standard - never heard its equal for lyricism, drive and build. My Rival is the best song story ever told, beats Nick Cave in a whole different genre, presages the alternate universe sophisticated They Might Be Giants. This is music and lyric worthy of repeat enjoyment, and of study.

After actually getting this far, I just had to say, this cannot be explained. Perhaps you must first live 30 years investigating all kinds of music, the drive of harmony plus the connection of melody and rhythm to lyrics, and decide for yourself whether better lyrics could have been written by Ginsburg or Dylan, and whether anyone by any name could have created this most apt musical setting, and whether it moves you. Or perhaps you just have to listen to it 3 times, carefully. Maybe it only moves me, but I suspect if you devote some time to it, you will see this is it, and somewhere in there is something big that becomes the mp3 content for the baby boom memorial service, fast approaching. Move over Cole.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steely Dan, 31 Aug 2009
Ian D. Gilfillan "Ian Duncan" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gaucho (Audio CD)
Even though an ardent fan of Steely Dan I took several sessions to get into this CD. However, I was soon hooked again. The melodies sneak up from behind and the jazz runs thick in their veins. The intricacy and production of their musical style is superb.
Gaucho
Everything Must Go
Two Against Nature

2.0 out of 5 stars Gaucho SACD revisited, 31 Oct 2003
Daniel Klimcke (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gaucho (Audio CD)

Current playback system? Sony XA9000ES player, Bel Canto pre/power, Dynaudio Contour 3.3 speakers, Nordost/Cardas/Townshend DCT cables. Revealing, neutral and well balanced.

Well, the years haven't been altogether kind to the 16-bit contender, but I maintain that it's preferable to the SACD, which still sounds veiled, lifeless, lacking in punch, 'air', image specificity and high frequency extension. I'll admit that the CD sounds 'edgier' than I remember; as though the mastering engineer (the god-like Bob Ludwig) decided to nudge in some artificial presence while no one was looking. But that's an acceptable trade-off for the sense of life in this version that seems absent in the high-resolution alternative - the kind of trade-off I'm happy to accept in my professional capacity as an audio mixer and restoration engineer.

So while in retrospect the 16-bit version isn't the DSD killer I once believed it to be, the SACD sounds no better than when I first heard it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful SACD stereo mix, 7 Mar 2012
This review is from: Gaucho (Audio CD)
As the proud owner of an Oppo I have been shopping as many SACD titles as I can find of my favorite artists (Steely Dan are in there). I am a stereo listener, not a 5-1 fan and I was very happy to find this title with all mixes. But what came out of my speaker was a travesty, the original mix was gone and in its place what can only be described as unlistenable. The vocals were right up front and the guitars and other vocals way back in the mix. So either this product cannot be used without a tv monitor to choose mixes (could be the issue) or I am stuck with a dud.
I have reversed to the Boxed set which came out early 2000's which outperformed this 100 fold.

ARRAY(0xac639e58)

Gaucho
Gaucho by Steely Dan (Audio CD - 2000)