5.0 out of 5 stars Emily, we love Bagpuss too
Published on 30 Jan 2007 by G. Fry

3.0 out of 5 stars This really is the Complete Bagpuss!
This video really is the *Complete* Bagpuss - it contains all of Bagpuss' fabulous 'adventures', unlike the other super-cheapo Bagpuss video on the market which only covers a couple of shows. Bagpuss has never been surpassed in terms of surreal nostalgia - remember Charlie Mouse, and the Marvellous Mechanical Mouse Organ? The chocolate biscuit factory? Gabriel the...
Published on 17 Feb 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Emily, we love Bagpuss too, 30 Jan 2007
G. Fry (Utah, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Bagpuss [1974] [DVD] (DVD)
I do because I'm the member of our family who watched this perfect production when I was a kid. But the magic is that my American wife and kids love Bagpuss too. There's something so wonderfully captivating about the gentleness of the characters and storytelling that even my 3-year-old twins sit perfectly still, episode after episode, to watch this saggy old cloth cat. Just two days after we bought this DVD my son was quoting most of the introduction. This purchase is one you don't need to think twice about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a saggy old cloth cat. But 25 to 35 year olds love him., 23 Oct 2000
This review is from: Complete Bagpuss [VHS] (VHS Tape)
It's not just 25 to 35 year olds who love him - although they are the right age to have seen him the first time around on TV. I think it is safe to say that Bagpuss is universally adored. I'm merely surprised it has taken such a long time to get the whole thirteen episodes all on one video. Yes, just thirteen - I thought there were more than that too! Get this for a merry blast of nostalgia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dear Saggy Old Cloth Cat Puss, 6 Feb 2007
Bard (Ashton-Under-Lyne) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Bagpuss [1974] [DVD] (DVD)
Sometimes one remembers the programmes with one's youth with a rosy glow but upon revisiting a programme is sadly disappointed. I remember vividly being excited at the prospect of Bagpuss coming on the television when I was a child and so I decided to invest in the DVD.I already have oodles of Bagpuss stuff (Bagpuss hot water bottle cover, singing mice etc), but wanted to see if the old programmes still held up.

They do.

Utterly brilliant as usual from Postgate and Firmin, well drawn out stories and characters and beautiful animation.

Buy it for a child of today, or just yourself.

I as well as Emily, love him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless smallness, 30 Mar 2007
M. Torr (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Bagpuss [1974] [DVD] (DVD)
Tonight my four-year-old son watched three episodes of Bagpuss on DVD. I had tried to get him to watch this last year, but he wasn't interested. This time, he was enchanted. Thank goodness I now know that there's nothing wrong with him!

Bagpuss is quite possibly the best children's TV programme ever made. There's something magical about it. Some of the animation looks quite basic nowadays, but it doesn't harm the show at all. The sheer escapism, not to mention the intelligent respect for the viewers (contrast much of the current cBeebies output), and the beautiful smallness of it all are probably the key ingredients. It is utterly timeless, and universally appealing to younger children.

I don't know whether Oliver Postgate and his associates ever won an award for this little piece of wonder, but they really should have.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest videos ever..., 27 Mar 2002
This review is from: Complete Bagpuss [VHS] (VHS Tape)
It was magical to see this second time around, and brought back those halcyon days when everything was beautiful and untroubled. I remain as enchanted as the first time. What is it about the Smallfilms output that is so wonderful? It's the simplicity, the magical characters, the great stories, the music, and, of course, the voices. Oliver Postgate, we love you!

5.0 out of 5 stars A pocketful of charm, 16 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Complete Bagpuss [1974] [DVD] (DVD)
There's an economy of expression and a gentle warmth that lifts Oliver Postgate's work to a kind of poetry. Bagpuss is no exception, and is a pleasure to watch with your little ones (who'll love it). All the elements of childhood are captured here: the innocence, fascination, and imagination that transform the everyday into something magical. There's none of the Disney saccharine sweetness, either, that can set adult teeth on edge. Each episode is a satisfyingly complete package, with Emily bringing some little lost thing for Bagpuss and his friends to identify and renew. Each friend has his or her own distinct personality, from crotchety Professor Yaffle to clever little Charley Mouse. A story and a little song help the charming detective work along. The good-natured work ends with the small item being placed in the shop window, ready to be reunited with its lost owner. Entertaining, without talking down to its audience. Free of teen-speak and violence. Toddler TV at its very best.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply the best, 22 Jan 2001
kings@talk21.com (Wrexham,North wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complete Bagpuss [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Quite simply the best children's program ever made!!! why would you want to watch any other so-called "TRENDY" modern programs, when you can watch BAGPUSS the saggy old cloth cat and all his friends.Even at 28 i still get mesmerised by the woodpecker,the mice and of course bagpuss himself.I could'nt belive it over christmas when my little girl bought me my own little bagpuss, How could she have known how much i loved this program,Forget the rest this is without doubt the best.........only REAL bagpuss fans know what i mean !!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bagpuss DVD, 28 Nov 2003
Miss Julie Birch (Burton on Trent, Staffs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Bagpuss [1974] [DVD] (DVD)
This is an enchanting trip down memory lane. Where Tweenies, Teletubbies and most of the modern stuff has so far failed to impress, Bagpuss has totally captivated my just two-year old daughter and it simply fails to ever irritate mum and dad - even those mice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful nostalgia, 24 Feb 2004
This review is from: The Complete Bagpuss [1974] [DVD] (DVD)
Great to see Bagpuss on DVD. For a programme that's over thirty years old, the quality is superb - I certainly wouldn't waste my money on the VHS version which will only last a year or two before being chewed up in the video player!

5.0 out of 5 stars I felt 5 yrs old again!, 26 April 2005
This review is from: The Complete Bagpuss [1974] [DVD] (DVD)
What can i say, this is the most superb trip down memory lane for all bagpuss fans, it's also kind of cool to see your own kids watch something you did at that age...after a few minutes it all comes flooding back..all the words to all the silly songs by the mice and gabriel the toad.
so, i will leave you to ponder my description and while I go back to irritating the kids by singing along to bagpuss :-D

ARRAY(0xac2be4e0)

The Complete Bagpuss [1974] [DVD]
The Complete Bagpuss [1974] [DVD] by Peter Firmin (DVD - 2005)
3.99