5.0 out of 5 stars singing is about sexual confidence, 4 Sep 2001
This review is from: For Him & the Girls (Audio CD)
I have recently seen Hawksley Workman at three different gigs (we followed him around for a few cites) and seen him continually wow crowds into silence. When Hawksley Workman starts singing everyone in the room has to stop talking and listen because this boy has serious talent. I first saw him supporting a band Called Chris Mills and the miserable bastards and Hawksley, as well as totally blowing any chances of them making a lasting impression, played the drums for them. “Hawksley Workman’s been opening for us” said Chris, “and the death count’s been incredible”. I’d have liked to have seen there faces when the found out exactly what there ‘support act’ was capable of. Hawksley Workman, who is a 25 year old Canadian plays the guitar as well as any guitar hero, piano like a brilliant drunk in a saloon bar, and sings in an angelic way that can only remind me of Jeff Buckley. He still refers to himself as “Just some Kid”, even if it’s said with a touch of arrogance. But when he said, “I didn’t deserve this, how could I have?” I’m inclined to agree with him – how could anyone have worked for all that and still be so young. It’s not just his talent that’s sickening, it’s his demeanor; He’s the only act that has ever made me laugh and cry in the same short space of time. He owns you from the very first note. Hawksley Workman is in essence a big Show off, but we can only love him for it. If you get the chance to see him live then seriously, sell your television to get there. Buy his album from here – it is brilliant...

5.0 out of 5 stars A provocative poignant album containing majestic melodies, 26 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: For Him And The Girls (Audio CD)
I was lucky enough to witness Hawksley's remarkably entertaining live performance and was excited when I found that none of his extraordinary vocal range or raw guitar sound were lost on his outstanding debut album 'For Him and The Girls'. This provocative treat served up to us by this highly talented Canadian tunesmith contains deftly crafted gems that reveal themselves as precious treats that are to be enjoyed repeatedly and never loose their power or appeal.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Album, 22 Mar 2005
This review is from: For Him And The Girls (Audio CD)
For him and the girls is quite simply the most amazing album I've bought for many a year. The melodies are beautiful and remarkable the lyrics facinating, amuzing and I listen to them endlessly. I bought this album about two years ago almost by accident (it was cheap and I was in the mood for something different). I don't think a single week will have passed in that two year period without me listening to it at least once normally a lot more often than that. I don't normally write reviews but when I saw this going for £2.95 in the new & used section I felt I had to let someone know it as the buy of the year. What else can you buy for three quid, it'll be the best three pounds you've ever spent.

For Him And The Girls
For Him And The Girls by Hawksley Workman (Audio CD - 2001)