5.0 out of 5 stars Not just Spaghetti Westerns
I made my purchase of this album solely because I wanted the theme music to the Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Western movies and to my surprise, I ended up with a must-have CD.
Published on 15 Jun 2002 by Graham Hiley

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing selection from a great soundtrack composer
Published on 17 Mar 2001 by mikestewart@cableinet.co.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just Spaghetti Westerns, 15 Jun 2002
Graham Hiley "Graham H" (Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best Of Ennio Morricone (Audio CD)
From the beautiful "Deer Hunter" like Chi Mai, through the hauntingly melodic Deborah's Theme, the unusual The Man With The Harmonica and the outstanding Frantic this CD is a masterpiece equal to Mozart, Beethoven or Handel.
Any music lover should own a copy of this and enjoy the hugely talented Ennio Morricone again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb instrumental sounds to celebrate the millennium, 16 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Very Best Of Ennio Morricone (Audio CD)
Shame that there isn't 6 stars - worth every penny this CD does tremendous justice to one of our best contemporary composers. This is the history of film and music combined in sheer bliss !
The 1966 familiar sounds of "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" are still as fresh in the year 2000, and contrast with the haunting vibrations of "Gabriel's Oboe" from the film "The Mission".
Certainly CD of the year, and a great Christmas present.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing selection from a great soundtrack composer, 17 Mar 2001
This review is from: The Very Best Of Ennio Morricone (Audio CD)
Ennio Morricone originally came to my attention because of the soundtracks he composed and conducted for the films 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly', 'Fistful of Dollars', 'For a few Dollars more' and 'Fistful of Dynamite'. Judging by this CD these soundtracks are still his best work. The rest, in my opinion, simply don't measure up. I'll admit, I've never been a fan of Chi Mai, which I know is contrary to popular opinion so this CD may be well received generally. But if you like your Morricone to be of the high-camp, high-drama variety, such as is found in the Spaghetti Westerns, then don't buy this CD. A major blemish (and quite why on earth the compilers of this CD chose to do this) is the selection of a Geoff Love version of 'For a Few Dollars More' (I'm sure there is a far superior Morricone version). Overall very disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to the maestro, 17 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Very Best Of Ennio Morricone (Audio CD)
Whilst far from being the most comprehensive compilation (e.g. no Untouchables) it is an excellent introduction to Morricone in that it covers his most famous work and also his most mainstream.
Purists may argue it omits his more experitmental and avant garde side - but in the end how can you complain when you have Gabirel's Oboe and the Once Upon a time in the West theme.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful soundtracks over nearly 40 years from Mr Morricone, 4 Oct 2000
This review is from: The Very Best Of Ennio Morricone (Audio CD)
If you've never bought an Ennio Morricone soundtrack album this is about the best "Very Best Of" you are likely to get, it's filled with memorable tracks from 17 classic movies from 1964's "Fistful Of Dollars" right up to-date with "Mission to Mars" released this year. The unusual sounds used in the spaghetti westerns of Sergio Leone mixed in with great orchestrations, to the beautiful soul tearing love theme of "Cinema Paradisio" and "The Mission", who can forget Jeremy Irons carrying that cross and that music, The equisite "Once Upon A Time In America" with it's haunting pan pipes. If you haven't seen all the films like me, I'll tell you, you want be let down by any of the tracks from the master of cinema and TV music, top marks for a top album.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing interpretation, 9 Mar 2007
This review is from: The Very Best Of Ennio Morricone (Audio CD)
I was really disappointed when listening to these recordings. I had an old recording of Morricone on a tape, which I love, and thought I was to find the same on this CD. But the interpretations are really different (I agree with one of the previous comments), and are far from carrying the same emotions.

Don't do like me, and listen to the song samples to make sure this is what you want.

4.0 out of 5 stars Morricone, 6 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Very Best Of Ennio Morricone (Audio CD)
Service was prompt. The music was not exactly what i wanted- I was looking for the film music from the Sergio Leone films in full length wheras this CD was only an introduction to the full scores. However, this was my fault really for not studying the details before purchase. A good CD if you want an introduction to Morricone's music.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational music, 26 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Very Best Of Ennio Morricone (Audio CD)
Ths is such a refreshing selection of musical pieces. I use it whilst I am working out, but it is equally enjoyable at any time of day or night

5.0 out of 5 stars Ennio Morricone - great buy!, 22 May 2012
This review is from: The Very Best Of Ennio Morricone (Audio CD)
All of the best Ennio Morricone on one CD. Bought for a friend who had just 'discovered' him - he is delighted. A perfect CD for you or a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars First time listener, 4 Jan 2012
J. D. Newman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best Of Ennio Morricone (Audio CD)
As a first time listener of Ennio Morricone this quickly became one of my most played albums and is still, a few years on, a massive favourite for me. I don't know how good it is if you are already a Morricone aficionado but I love it!

The Very Best Of Ennio Morricone
The Very Best Of Ennio Morricone by Ennio Morricone (Audio CD - 2000)