5.0 out of 5 stars Carrey at his best
When I tell people about this film and mention that Jim Carrey is the staring role they assume that it is a stupid film with Carrey's ever repetetive one liners and catchphrases, I assure you this is one film that won't annoy the hell out of you.
Published on 5 Oct. 2004 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing
Man On The Moon is just like watching Andy Kaufman - funny at times but with long stretches finding yourself feeling slightly confused and uncomfortable.
Carey's performance is undoubtedly good; he's obviously put in a lot of hard work for the role. His 'Foreign Man' and Tony Clifton are very good, and he's unexpectedly believable as Kaufman. However I found the film...
Published on 9 Aug. 2005 by Travelling Hat

5.0 out of 5 stars Carrey at his best, 5 Oct. 2004
The film is based on Andy Kaufman's life and how he was pictured by the media. This is a tragic dramatical comedy which will make you laugh at the antics of Andy Kaufman but also make you think when the serious stuff kicks in. The film follows Andy through his early times in clubs right through his appearences on saturday night live, the inter-gender wrestling, his time on Taxi, the ludicras hoax's and the tragedy of his life, this is one of my favorite films and if you watch I'm sure it will be one of yours aswel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thankyou very much, 28 Mar. 2004
C. Leenhouwers "claireann82" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This film is beautiful and moving and surprisingly funny. It follows the career of Andy Kaufman from fairly appalling stand up to his time on the sitcom 'Taxi' and Saturday Night Live. Jim Carrey is wonderful in the role and is suitably funny and entertaining as well as demonstrating Kaufman's growing frustration at being typecast. This film also boasts a superb supporting cast. I knew nothing of Andy Kaufman before I saw this film so only could trust that Carrey's performance was true to life. It was only until I saw a re-run of 'Taxi' I realised how accurate his portrayal was. I would recommend this film for laughs but also to appreciate the beauty of life. The wrestling is reason enough to watch!

5.0 out of 5 stars Andy who?, 4 Feb. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Man On The Moon [2000] (VHS Tape)
I have to agree with ultraviolet. I didn't know who Kaufman was, in fact I don't know why I rented the vid, I am enternally grateful I did.
Kaufman was a great reader of the audience - if he wanted to make them uncomfortable, happy, sad, repelant he could and did.
No one knows what went on in Kaufman's mind. Since watching the vid, I've read his two biographies and I'm still none the wiser.
The man was insular/open, alienating/welcoming and above all else funny. As Kaufam would have wanted, you laugh at him as well as along with him. This is one of the best movies I've watched - so much so that I bought the US import DVD from Amazon.com.
The DVD is a must have with special features that flesh the que? sections of the film.
Buy it, please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jim Carrey at his best, 15 Aug. 2002
Mr Craig McGowan (Dumfries United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Man On The Moon [2000] (VHS Tape)
There's alot of great movies out there today, yet unfortunatly for whatever reason alot of them slip through the nets of the public eye...this is one of them! A good way to describe this film is to say that if someone was to walk in halfway through, sit down and watch they would most probably be up and out in a matter of minutes. What they don't understand is that Kauffman captures an audience unlike any other comedian. He brings an idea of comedy completely alien to us and breathes life into it. Yet what makes the film is Carrey. His portrayal of the comic is memorable, strong, believable and more importantly...funny! He shows no sign of fading as he plays out Kauffman through his roller coaster ride of emotions and allows him to show his flexibility. Kauffman himself I'm sure would have been proud. This is why Carrey is one of the best in Hollywood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insane....or a comedic genius?, 4 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Man On The Moon [2000] (VHS Tape)
If you know Andy Kaufman purely as the silly foreign man character Latka Gravis in the hit U.S. sitcom "Taxi" then you have only scratched the surface of his comedic repertoire. Kaufman (played with obvious affection by Jim Carrey) takes us (almost?) to the brink of insanity in this tragi-comedy that mirrors Kaufman's life and mind. Carrey (as Kaufman) leaves us, and everyone that crosses his path, wondering just how much of what we believe about him is true and how much is what he wanted us to believe. Kaufman - genius or madman? Buy "Man On The Moon", decide for yourself and enjoy the ride. Fantastic entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars The roots of alternative comedy, 10 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Man on the Moon [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
Despite me being a relic of the 50's and 60's, I have to confess that I only came across the incredible talent that is Andy Kaufman, just recently, watching various Elvis impersonators on You Tube. Both the Kaufman original and the clip from Carrey's movie were there of course, which eventually brought me to buying this DVD.

It's a quirky biopic, which Jim Carrey carries off superbly, and would make a useful addition to any collection of Kaufman material. It's not really a Friday night "beer and relaxation" movie - more an "educational" student film club feature. Watching as much original Andy Kaufman performances and interviews as possible prior to seeing this movie will enable a deeper understanding and appreciation of what Carrey has achieved.

The DVD itself arrived damaged, and was not, in my opinion, a new copy as ordered. At that price it was not worth the trouble of returning it to Amazon, so I threw it away and ordered another copy from a different source. That copy arrived cellophane-wrapped, in pristine condition.

Mail order may save you the bother of going out to shop, but the element of risk and inconvenient delivery times is likely, in my view, to send people back to the high streets, eventually, where they can see what they're buying and purchase with greater confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Messing with people's minds, 1 Feb. 2009
Peter Wade (Colchester England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Man on the Moon [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
Like most British viewers I first saw him as Latka in Taxi. His character was very funny and it was not until I heard the REM song that I discovered he had done anything else.

I had read the script of the film and it is of course difficult for a film to tell a story of someones whole life without just picking out the highlights. He is such a complex character that at time sit is painful to watch as you don't know whether he is acting or it is supposed to be serious. He claims all the time that he is acting and that what he does is serious.

Jim Carrey does a great job of portraying him. It can of course be confused with mimicking him as you can see the original performance on YouTube if you wish.

I get pissed off when people say of a role or performance oh he doesn't even look like him .Acting doesn't not have to be a impression of the person just a different version to get the essence.

You are none the wiser as to who Andy Kaufman was or why he did those things he just wanted to mess with people's minds. Like most comedy it is an opinion as to whether or not you think he is funny

He was certainly very talented as shown when he does Elvis. I will watch the film again as there is so much in there.

Great film definitely worth a good few viewings.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC FILM, 12 Oct. 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Man on the Moon [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
I am not a fan of Jim Carrey, but his portrayal of Kauffman was genius. I remembered when Kauffman first appeared on SNL and did the Mighty Mouse routine. I loved it. When they had a vote to send him off the show, my buddies and I thought it was all a joke, so we voted him off, even though we wanted him to stay on. Guess the joke was on us.

Paul Giamatti in another great role. Great film even for non-Kauffman or Carrey fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jim Carrey Is Perfect As Andy Kaufman, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Man on the Moon [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
It seems that Jim Carrey was born to play Andy Kaufman, they have the same kind of cute crazy surreal comedy. Also Carrey's portrayal of Kaufman is very accurate ( after we'd watched this film we saw some of Kaufman's orginal comedy routines footage on YouTube). Kaufman was so ahead of his time, regarding his comedy. In the UK we had Monty Python, but the USA just couldn't get Kaufman's comedy, and it seems that his genius was only really recognised many years later. The film also shows Kaufman's spiritual side, and the rather gentle, innocent personality that he had, which also influenced his comedy. Essentially his was really connected to a child like creative energy and had a tremedous imagination, that helped him create such ingenious comedy ideas. Like many pioneers, he wasn't given full recognition in his time, but this film does a lot to acknowledge him. It also was a very tender and affectionate portrayal of his life, that used many of the old Taxi cast and others who know or worked with Kaufman, showing that he was thought of fondly by many. This isi a really lovely, sweet, and very funny film !

4.0 out of 5 stars It must be lonely up there, 27 April 2011
Inspector Gadget "Go Go Gadget Reviews" (On the trail of Doctor Claw) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I'm not so sure that Andy Kaufman would have gotten away with it in the more cynical and jaded 21st century. In a world of 'Got Talents' and 'X-Factors', a world where people will do anything to be famous, even degrading themselves and selling-out their dignity for life, Andy Kaufman may not have been so notorious. Whatever you think of the man, be he nothing more than a self-sabotaging fool who did whatever he could keep his name in the media, or a comic genius who was well ahead of the curve, there's no denying that Andy Kaufman was unique.

I had no idea who he was until I saw this film, in Las Vegas on December 30th 1999. It the final movie I saw in the 20th century, a reminder of the more innocent, naive times we were gradually slipping away from.

Carrey (a horribly under-rated dramatic actor) completely becomes Kaufman. It's an amazing transformation. It bothers me when people just see him as Ace Ventura. Carrey and Kaufman are symbiotic when it comes to comedy and pathos. It's a role he was born to play (along with the obnoxious Tony Clifton), and it's such a shame that the film didn't perform better at the box office.

But a guess that a 'downer' film of a strange, long-dead, has-been comedian was not really something America wanted during the Xmas season of 1999. It was better than Stuart Little, that's for sure.

The film is loaded with cameos from actors who actually worked and interacted with Kaufman before his unusual premature death including David Letterman, Jerry Lawler, Christoper Lloyd, Carol Kane, and Danny DeVito.

However, I'm one of those people that believe that Andy is still alive.

The DVD is in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen and looks absolutely terrible. Universal...give us a Blu Ray NOW!!!

Man On The Moon [2000]