5.0 out of 5 stars Like Death Cab....., 4 Mar 2012
I do love this album.

I knew of and loved Death Cab For Cutie before hearing The Weakerthans, so to me - The Weakerthans are like Death Cab.... but that just fine by me. And frankly, I'm not sure I even prefer one over the other...
So if you're a fan of Death Cab and want more like stuff like them, I highly recommend this album.

I heard Left and Leaving (the song) and loved it, so went about buying the album which it was on... and was delighted that the rest of the album is of the same quality.. (Don't you hate it when you buy an album because of one song and find it's pretty much the only good track on there!)

I bought it in May last year, and I've just realised I'm stupid for not thinking of buying another one of their albums before now.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful album, 6 Feb 2011
This review is from: Left And Leaving (Audio CD)
I had not bought any weakerthans before this album. I heard a couple of snippets and decided to get it. It is truly a lovely album. With excellent lyrics and very well formed tunes it actually is one of my favourite albums ever. So many lovely tunes such as Everything Must Go and Left and Leaving and a great mix of styles and mood.

It has a nice mix of indie guitar tracks to melodic acoustic songs. The only slight issue it that later in the album it becomes quite downbeat so if you are in a reflective mood it certainly won't lift you out of it!

However the songs are beautifully put together and a joy to listen too. I reserve 5 stars for very few albums but this album really deserves it and I can't recommend it more. Its such a shame they are not better known and they deserve to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything Must Go, 12 Jun 2003
This review is from: Left And Leaving (Audio CD)
If you can find me a band more genius, more poetic and musical, more capable of producing the most beautiful lyrics that have ever been known to modern day music then i'd like to hear them. The Weakerthans, fronted by lyrical genius John K Samson are indeed my favourite band of all time. Left and Leaving is, in my opinion, the best Weakerthans album to date although Fallow is equally as breath taking. The songs are more like poems applied to music than anything else. You cannot tire of these, i have been listening to The Weakerthans for two years and everytime i hear Pamphleteer for example, it feels like a new experience. The Weakerthans are undescribable, once you hear them you wonder where they've been all your life, there is a song to relate to all life situations, people, even sides to yourself that you never knew existed, no words can do justice to this band. Left and Leaving will be one of the most treasured purchases that you will ever make, you sit in awe and listen to the magic that is the fruit of The Weakerthans, reminissing about past experiences, or an old friend, prehaps a relationship that withered away but you wonder why, answers can be explained and you will find comfort in the words of this band. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars the punk rock Belle & Sebastian?, 6 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Left and Leaving (Audio CD)
Sensitive heartfelt lyrics set to tunes that veer between wistful melancholia and flat out punk. Forget the lazy emo tag, the Weakerthans will steal your heart and make you play air guitar. At the same time....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Canadian music!, 31 Oct 2002
A. Burns "Samiam Fan" (Birmingham , UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Left and Leaving (Audio CD)
If you're reading this review I have one piece of advice which is - Buy it now! Amazing lyrics, music changes from punky emo(Aside)to haunting songs which make you think "wow"(pamphleteer).
Samson's vocals are excellent, this is a little gem waiting to be bought.
If you're into Canadian bands check out The Lowest of the Low, Ron Hawkins and Propagandhi, you'll be amazed...

Left and Leaving
Left and Leaving by Weakerthans (Audio CD - 2000)