on 6 September 2001
These toys are still played with by my children, but not really as intended. There are a few problems I found with them--the rings don't clip together very well, and always come lose. Also, the dolphins, if they get water in their whistle-hole, have to be dried before they will whistle. They work by being half-immersed in water, which forces air out through the hold on the top of their heads, which makes them whistle. There are also lots of pieces, so you will need a bag or something to store them in.
That said, they are fun to float in the bath without being attached to the others, and now my children are older and have enough breath to blow properly, they do like making them whistle. This toy doesn't quite do what it claims, but it still is fun, and there's not really anything else like it on the market.
on 17 April 2006
I was compelled, by the incredibly poor design of this toy, to write this review - my first ever. The rings don't stay together, the dolphins don't make their sound consistently, and when they do it's nothing to write home about. It's truly one of the worst designs I've ever come across and I have to wonder if it was ever tested before putting on the market.
on 28 November 2001
My son got this toy as a present and we were both excited to try it as it promised much... however, he rarely asks to have it in the bath as we both found that neither of us could make it work properly and we would both end up getting frustrated by it. It also takes up an inordinate amount of space!
on 18 September 2012
I was dubious after reading these reviews but me and my 21 month old have had great fun playing with these in the bath tonight.

They DO whistle, you just have to bash then quite vigorously on the head. Alternatively my son liked them to jump up and down which has the same effect. you can blow the whistles yourself if you want to make a louder noise.

The rings don't hold together particularly well but who cares, if I wanted to teach my toddler scales and to play tunes then I'd get him a piano not a bath toy. The rings were a great source of fun too, wear them as a hat, play hoopla and try to catch them on his toes, the dolphins can ride around the bath like a train, you can fill the dolphins up with water and tip the water out all over mummy/the bathroom floor!

Am I the only parent here whose toddler hardly uses any toys for the exact purpose they were intended?!
on 2 November 2006
To claim that your child will play their first scale and soon be producing their first symphony gives the impression that these dolphins do actually produce a sound resembling a musical note.

Complete and utter rubbish, they do occasionally produce what can only be described as a wet farting noise but Beethovens fifth it aint.

I can only recommend giving these a wide berth and spending the kids Christmas money elsewhere!
on 29 November 2005
One of the best value-for-money toys on the market and un-arguably one of the mosty endurable. And if you had met my nine-year old son,(a small natural disaster constantly looking for a place to happen!) you would understand the true value of that statement.
I first bought this set for my oldest twins. That was about 11 years ago. We had an older son and daughter, and the twins were followed by another three. All seven of them loved this toy for many years. We have lost some dolphins and some rings over the years,(and I do mean lost, not broken) and now we only have two dolphins and three rings. But they still work.
It is true that the rings don't hold together very well, but this is not really important, they can still be played with floating individually round the bath. We now have a two year old with CP, who loves the sounds and colours, and another young baby, so I will definately be buying another set of dolphins this xmas.
on 28 August 2007
Prepare yourself for huge disappointment. Unless I was just unlucky, these 'whistling' dolphins don't actually whistle. A few weak sounds came out of one or two, the rest I can't get a note from despite bopping them on the head at every conceivable angle in the bath. Ahem, not that it's me playing with them of course...it's my 3 year old twins, but if I can't get a note out of them, there's no way on earth they can.

From a play point of view, my twins don't seem to mind much and are happy just to play with the colourful plastic dolphins.

From a musical point of view though, this rates alongside Victoria Beckham's solo career in terms of anticipation versus outcome. It's an astonishing rip-off. I'm surprised this toy hasn't been found out and redesigned to actually WORK. Shame because the idea was really good.

Like I say, let's be fair, I may have been unlucky and got a faulty item, which unfortunately I can't do anything about because they've been used. Personally I'd say it isn't worth the risk.
on 1 December 2014
A friend bought my daughter these, I was excited to see how she'd like them in the bath but was disappointed, not all of them really make much noise, and the ones that do it's just slight whistling and she got bored trying to push them down in the water the right way to get sound out of them, sorry but I don't think they are worth the money id advise to spend it on something else
on 26 January 2014
The dolphins come apart so you cannot link them easily, and if you finally manage to link them whilst getting the kids to keep as still as possible in the bath then as soon as you try and play them they all fall apart leaving you frustrated to say the least. They are also too big and take up too much space in and out of the water. The squeaks that sometimes come out of the dolphins are quite frankly pathetic. We have managed to get one strong whistle sound from one dolphin when it first went in the bath which I think was because it was dry but this did not work with the next!! Even if it did, try telling a 10month old to keep the bath toys dry!
True disappoint and to make matters worse I cut my knuckle when trying hard to push the rings together in a vain attempt to make them attach properly. This toy should be removed from the market or sold as a non musical toy to avoid misleading customers, and disappointing kids and adults. The numbers which tell you which order to put the dolphins in are also hard to find and there are 2 greenish blue dolphins and rings so even if you do get the numbers right then the dolphin may not be in the right place as there are 2 the same!
Currently in a bag by the front door to go to either bin or charity shop-a bit awkward as they were a gift from the kids Godfather, though he was here at the first bath and witnessed the disappointment first hand which made or an awkward situation.
on 23 November 2015
As there are already quite a few reviews on both sides that this is and isn't a good toy...here is my summary.

What's right with it?

- Colourful interactive design
- Good quality materials - durable toy
- Suitable from 12 months till 8 years
- Fun whistle feature with different notes

What's wrong with it?

- Rings don't stay together well
- Price vs. educational value not spot on
- Very hard to make different whistle sounds just by 'bopping' head which also causes rings to come apart
- Would have been better with actual music

Thankfully we received this a gift, but it is not something I would have brought myself, having now tested it out. I think there are more interactive toys on the market that give you more value for money.

For example -

This link for the 'Winnie the pooh squirt and pour' bath set also gives the same age guideline from 12 months has been enjoyed since 4 months. And is around the same price.