5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect pop - STEPS fans will love it!
Published on 11 Sept. 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars An album to make you cringe - but oh those Twisting Roads!
Okay, I will hold my head up in shame when I admit that during those years (1999-2000) that Anna Kumble was singing under the name of Lolly, I was a fan. But then again, I was only seven/eight years old.

Published 17 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect pop - STEPS fans will love it!, 11 Sept. 2000
This review is from: Pick N Mix (Audio CD)
Just Listen to It never Rains but it Pours and you wll see wha I mean. But this is perfect pop with lots of different styles - pop, dance, carribean, 50's and 60's, a couple of okay-ish covers and some real dancefloor fillers like 999, Listen to Your Heart and the fab better than ever. True pop fans will love this and a lot of people will be susrprised. Her voice handles the ballads exceptionally well plus she penned two of the best songs on the CD herself! Well done Lolly. We're with you all the way girl!

2.0 out of 5 stars An album to make you cringe - but oh those Twisting Roads!, 26 Nov. 2013
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pick N Mix (Audio CD)

Very few people will know of her now, and I imagine her 'fans' have long since moved on and probably forgotten all about her, so I doubt many shoppers will be even reading this. The last review was in 2001 after all!

'Pick N Mix' by Lolly was better than her first album (yes, I had that bought for me as well!!) in terms of songs, she even covered 'She Loves You', I clearly remember when I first heard the Beatles sing it a few weeks after I was playing my Lolly CD as a young boy and thought: "These aren't very good, why are they stealing Lolly's great song?". Whilst it didn't deserve to set the charts alight, which it didn't, missing the top 75, the album does contain a gem, a guilty pleasure - 'Twisting Roads', a song I still like even today. The two stars are for this album on a whole, but the song on it's own rates four.

The track is a beautiful acoustic ballad, a very mature song which should have been released as a single. It's about two people in a relationship living apart, but the girl vows that she will be back soon to see him, ''Don't wanna see you hurting, it makes me wanna cry'' she says to him. The song really is very nice and the lyrics are quite touching. I was recently sorting out my CDs (finally) and deciding which should go, I picked this up feeling surprised (it was right at the back off my cupboard and was 'well played'), put it on after all these years for a joke, played it, cringed, but couldn't help feeling nostalgic (did I really love her then latest singles 'Per Sempre Amore' and 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun' so much?), and then I came to track 11. I ripped 'Twisting Roads' onto my computer, and sent 'Pick N Mix' off to the charity shop.

Shhh! I still *love* 'Twisting Roads' by Lolly!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, I love it! (to quote a phrase...), 11 Sept. 2000
This review is from: Pick N Mix (Audio CD)
This is a small step up from her first album, Lolly tries out a number of different styles in this including motown and acoustic. There are many pop-filled tracks like 999 and Listen to your heart, and a few cheeky covers like Puppy Love (her next single) and She loves you. All in all a great CD but too many covers and the inclusion of all her past singles wasnt a very wise move as fans will already have these!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pop perfection from the aspiring tweenager., 29 April 2001
This review is from: Pick N Mix (Audio CD)
This second album from the candy sucking one really hits the mark where "My First Album" fell just short. A CD which is more than able to hold its own against other inhabitants of the hardcore pop market such as Scooch or Girl Thing, its up beat brilliance is made all the more poignant by the sad news of Lolly's retirement as a recording artist. The whole album seems to be chock full of potentially releasable singles on top of those already to have seen the light of day. The phenomenal "I Can't Help Myself" and "999" are sure to appeal to those who enjoyed "Per Sempre Amore" and "Rockin' Robin" and fans of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" get their fill with a popified version of "She Loves You". This cover is sure to have Beatles fans everywhere running for cover but will delight those who have escaped indoctrination by the footsoldiers of rock hegemony. The new ballads never reach the heights of "Big Boys Don't Cry" but "Puppy Love" comes close, particularly if you are young enough not to have been exposed to it the first time around. Lolly's career change means we will probably never be lucky enough to hear it as a duet with Donny. Never mind hey! The brains at Polydor managed to push this album from good to great by including "Viva La Radio", "Mickey" and "Big Boys Don't Cry" at the end of the CD although this does mean that we are deprived of the Karaoke versions as supplied on "My First Album". Another change is the decision not to print the sleeve on wipe clean paper, someting that was in keeping with the pre-school styling of "My First Album" but always left one wondering what exactly they expected would need to be wiped off! On a similar subject this album contains depressingly few of the double entendres beloved of teen pop writers but the inclusion of "Mickey" means that you can continue to chuckle at the lines "So come on and give it to me any way you can, Anyway you want to do it I'll take it like a man." Charming!

Pick N Mix
Pick N Mix by Lolly (Audio CD - 2000)