Colour: Blue|Change

on 22 February 2011
I have owned this kettle for a few years and really do love it. My husband and I are both big Alessi fans and have quite a few pieces, and this takes pride of place - especially as I got up at some god-awful hour to sell at a boot fair to raise the capital for it! Apart from the fact that it really does look stunning, it works well (I sometimes get a chuf-chuffing before the whistle works properly, like it's slightly blocked, but I've never had whistle-failure, however much water I'm boiling) and it is great for saving worktop space, plus avoiding the annoying habit of electric kettle steam collecting under wall mounted cupboards. Also, don't be put off by the cream handle; I wondered if this would look dirty quite quick, but it really doesn't. Our kettle is by no means pristine - scratches, marks etc from normal, everyday use, but the handle and bird are still cream, without any great effort from me. But I can't give it a 5 star and here's why (some reviews have mentioned these minor points):
1 - When you remove the lid you WILL spill water that has collected in the rim and it WILL annoy you.
2 - You will need to move it off the hob if you are cooking anything that may spit or spray, as every mark will taunt you!
3 - re point 2, if you don't clean it quite reguarly, it may prove hard to remove any cooked-on marks.
4 - It does not hold as much water as many electric kettles.
5 - On my gas hob, it is not a quick boil.
The last point is one to be considered in the current sky-high gas price climate. As it can take about 5 minutes to boil a full kettle, you do have to consider the expense of the gas over a rapid-boil electric (not to mention your eco-conscience!). If you simply love how the kettle looks but can't afford/don't want the full size hob version for use, Alessi do a minitures collection of their more classic pieces, and you can pick up a scaled-down version of this for about £25 - my husband put his foot down when I suggested said purchase for our children's play kitchen. Spoil sport.
I would buy this kettle again in a heartbeat, but I am currently considering a temporary electric kettle while utillity bills keep rising. To save money for more Alessi purchases... ;-)
on 18 February 2009
If you want the best looking hob kettle available, this is the one for you. I can't tell you how many people have commented, even down to the fact that it is ivory trimmed rather than the more typical blue/red version. I love it and the fact that it works on induction is a real plus. We've been using it since Christmas and have no 'down side' comments to make, but would point out to buyers that they must follow the filling instructions and not fill water above the spout line. This can damage the bird whistle when the water boils and happened to my friend's kettle.
88 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 July 2011
Even after 20+ years, this kettle remains the most sought after stylish kitchen item.
I've tried both the electric version (don't bother with the electric version, it is very expensive to run, takes forever to boil water and lasts little more than a year) and this hob version, and the hob version is vastly superior.
It may be me, but I think this kettle has been reduced in size slightly from the original that I received as a wedding present all those years ago.
I still love the traditional bird whistle, but the plastic doesn't last that long if you don't take the whistle out of the kettle as soon as it is boiled and leave it out afterwards as well (I guess the steam deteriorates the plastic).
on 19 December 2010
We bought our first Alessi hob kettle, white ivory trim with bird whistle, two years ago last October. It was a love thing, my friends thought we'd gone crazy paying this sort of money for a kettle with no plug! However, it still looked lovely and did the job slowly but fabulously with the bonus of a little birdsong at the end, until one day someone absent mindedly put the kettle on the hob and disappeared into another room out of ear-shot to check their emails, then got too involved which meant that it boiled dry and melted all over my cooker. Including the little bird whistle(sob).

However, my husband (for it was he that incinerated the above kettle) went about getting an urgent replacement (before I got home from work) and discovered that, if you've bought your Alessi from Selfridges, they will sell you a replacement for a super discount price if you take in the charred remains! Not many people know that...

All's forgiven but there's now a notice on the kitchen door saying "Have you put the kettle on? If so, stay put!"
on 14 January 2011
The finish on this kettle is top notch and makes for a stiking feature in our kitchen. The base is nice and wide and the water boils really quickly if you boil just the right amount of water, especially if you use a high power double ring burner. The design is such that I think it would look at home in an ultra modern kitchen as well as the slightly more traditional. It is very stable and there is no chance of it tipping over.

Be careful when cleaning the outside of the kettle as you wouldn't want to put fine scratches into the beautiful mirror finish. I have given ours a light wipe with a very soft cloth using warm water and it has come up sparkling again. Anything slightly abrasive will definately dull the finish though.

One word of warning, ours seems to be a little hit and miss when it comes to the bird whistle doing its duty. My wife seems to have more success than me and tells me the bird needs turning slightly in the spout to ensure the whistle sounds. I am still to perfect the technique. Regardless, even if the whistle isn't sounding perfectly it's still more than audible and I can hear it even if I am upstairs. The sound manages to be just right, not too loud that it's annoying, and not too quiet that you miss it boiling, and you really can imagine a bird singing.

I bought this kettle in preference to the Alessi Train Whistle kettle based on price (about half that of the alternative), and the fact the design is a little more feminine which keeps my wife happy. I think the train whistle kettle has a couple of advantages over the bird whistle kettle, both are centred around the inclusion of a trigger for opening the spout. The spout becomes dual purpose and is used for pouring (obviously) and filling the kettle. The bird whistle kettle requires you to remove the lid to fill it, and the bird whistle to pour. Not too much of an inconvenience but the lid always has water on the bottom of it so when you put it down it wets the surface giving you the job of wiping it up; and you either have to use a tea towel, wait a short while, or have asbestos fingers to remove the whistle immediately after boiling else the steam will burn you.

I include these negative points, not to put you off, because I would buy another one of these in a second, but to include practical information that would never be written in the manual (which is extremely basic by the way). I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Aesthetics - 5
Function - 4
Capacity - 5
Value for money - 4
on 21 March 2012
Had to send the first kettle back because the whistle did not whistle. Although the kettle looks fabulous it is a bit fiddly to use: the lid is a very tight fit and a bit awkward to take off and put back on; the whistle too is a bit hard to take out to pour the water - I just now stick the whistle in part way to make it easier to take out - it stills whistles doing this. The volume of water you can boil is not huge. So I;d give 2 stars on functionality (I've had cheaper kettles that work better) but 5 stars for looks - hence 3 star rating.
on 7 March 2013
We just put in some wooden worktops and got fed up of power cables trailing. We used a hob kettle many years ago, so were happy to try again. Chose this one because it did not look too bulky, has a wide botton to catch the gas and heat up quickly and looked nice. In use have found it great. We have had it 4 months or more. We use it many times a day, sometimes just for 1 or 2 cups and it works well even with small amount of water. We live in hard water area, but only use 'filtered' water through charcoal and the kettle shows no signs of limescale due to this. The lid is a little tight on ours, but not a problem. The whistle is also tighter when warm/hot, and sometimes when inserting you have to flex the metal lips of the whistle when you insert it. Whistle work very well when its plugged in properly, otherwise gas escapes without going through whistle - which is same on any whistle kettle.
Love it and would not go back to electric kettle.
on 9 May 2009
Classic Art Deco design by Michael Graves. Looks superb and with being stainless steel it is extremely light.
on 5 June 2009
I have had this kettle for about 4 months now so I thought I was about time I reviewed it. Although a bit expensive I have to say that I think it is worth every penny. By having the kettle on the stove, it frees space where the old electric kettle used to sit. Make sure you polish the kettle on regular basis and do not use abrasive sponges (sorry to state the obvious). Everyone comments on my kettle and I have to say that the more I use it, the more I love it. If you can afford it, buy it. Also, if you have a range cooker then you'd be mad not to invest in one of these kettles!!
on 24 October 2012
I purchase this a couple of weeks ago to work with induction hob. Its looks great and the bird whistler is good and loud. Very stylish.