Format: DVD|Change

on 2 July 2002
The funniest film ever made - probably. So many scenes of sheer genius and so many lines to bore friends with, this really is a wonderful wonderful film. Steve Martin makes today's contemporary US "comedians" like Adam Sandler look like amateurs. How the hell does ( or sadly, did) he come up with stuff like the "old Cup O'Pizza guy", "Stay away from the cans" and the Opti-grab ( one of history's most useless inventions)?
You will not regret buying this I promise and like all good "art" this film reveals more and more each time you watch it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 13 November 2008
One of my all time favourite films, I believe It was Steve martins first major film, It is his best performance, It's even better than Man with two brains.

I still remember parts of the film and they still make me laugh even now, such classic songs as "picking out a thermos for you" I still sing it to my wife when we buy a new flask (sad I know).

There are so many memorable parts, I won't spoil the film by mentioning them, buy it (and what a bargain priced) and enjoy Steve Martin at his best playing the innocent fool.
on 14 March 2004
I'll try not to go off on quoting the funniest lines in this review because you really do have to see it to appreciate how hilarious this is.
Instead, I'll give a few names of movies that are obviously heavily influenced by this. Dumb and Dumber for a start, has the same structure and, is POSSIBLY less funny that The Jerk.
Genius scenes like cat-juggling, the PI's running style and Navin's recollection of the amount of time he's spent with his girlfriend really leave an impact that you'll laugh about months after you've seen the movie when the slightest everyday event reminds you of some of the most original comedy ever.
on 2 July 2002
Steve Martin's first, and possibly his best movie. Bernadette Peters is also excellent in this movie. I also love the little song they sing together ("You Belong To Me").
The DVD encoding is not brilliant. If you buy DVD's just for the superior audio and picture quality, get this one on VHS - it seems obvious that no clean-up has been done for the DVD, which was a disappointment for me.
on 12 October 2001
There are so MANY side-splitting moments in this ludicrous comedy, it's hard to know where to start. Steve Martin excels as Navin Johnson, a country simpleton brought up by a poor black family who leaves home at 21 and accidentally makes a fortune.
The very funniest moments include: the impromptu trumpet solo during a stroll on the beach; the mad gunman cursing "Carnival Personnel Only - DAMN!!"; and Martin's killer line, "Well, it's a blue Chevy two-door, 1968, with white wheels... and it's pulling a small church behind it."
on 22 August 2013
No doubt, you may have already seen Steve Martin's classic movie, it's his best work. In short if you enjoy, silly humor eg "Zohan" you should enjoy this.My purchase was based on the Blu Ray.

In terms of picture quality, this is the best I have ever seen the film, everything is sharper, and the colours are more vivid. Yes, you get grain, but take my word for it, you will be happy with the picture detail.

Without a doubt, one of the best comedy films EVER made!
This was Steve Martin’s big breakthrough and it couldn’t have gone better. It cost 4 million$ to make, and grossed 73 million$!
There are a lot of very good acting performances here, some great sketches, great one – liners and a bundle of laughs at regular intervals. Yes, it’s a bit slapstick and old hat in places, a bit childish if you like, but hay, it’s worth running with as the storyline is never less than interesting. This makes a very entertaining evening, even if for some it’s not ‘alternative’ enough. At this point in Martin’s career he was a top script writer and a very good comedy actor.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 November 2006
This is a classic early Steve Martin film that has many very very funny moments. Made in 1979 and directed by Carl Reiner, who Martin would work with again a number of times, this is straightforward wacky comedy.

Martin is basically a complete fool, who is brought up on a plantation but doesn't realise he isn't black. Theres a great sequence where the black family are all singing gospel songs and Steve Martin just can't keep time..... Of course he leaves the family and ventures into the big wide world.

Well worth getting if you like Steve Martins classic early films. This is certainly up there with "All of me" and "The Man with two Brains".
on 1 April 2011
Steve Martin has never been better than he is in The Jerk. Martin plays Navin R. Johnson, a simpleton with a heart of gold who decides to go on a journey of self discovery. The Jerk contains shed loads of wacky and silly humour and is directed by Carl Reiner, who also directed Martin in The Man With Two Brains. If you liked that film, you'll love The Jerk.
on 4 October 2015
Steve Martin at his very best. The best film money can buy. I must have watched it dozens of times and know all the songs,words and catchphrases off by heart, much to the annoyance of other family members . If I had a dog I wouldn't call it ol' lifesaver either and I'd buy you a diamond so big it would make you puke ..........I am not a bum,I'm a JERK!