5.0 out of 5 stars Now I know why Elmo is so popular
Published on 12 Jan 2004 by Daniel Jolley

3.0 out of 5 stars o.k. but not the best
my sons love elmo but don't really like this dvd for some reason. its fine but just not as entertaining as some of the other elmo titles.
Published on 24 Dec 2010 by micheller

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I know why Elmo is so popular, 12 Jan 2004
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Adventures Of Elmo In Grouchland [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Never let it be said that I've forgotten the way to Sesame Street. It had been quite a while since my last visit, but it was great to see all of the familiar faces again: Bert & Ernie, The Count, Grover, Oscar, Big Bird, etc. I was rather surprised to see that some of the human actors I remember are still Sesame Street regulars, as well. Then there's Elmo. Up until now, I only knew Elmo from all the commercials for Elmo-related products, so it was good to finally see just what all the fuss has been about. He's a cool little monster, and it's easy to see how he has become so popular with the youngsters; I especially love the way he always refers to himself in the third person. I also was gratified to find out just what lies inside and beneath Oscar's garbage can after all these years. Throw in some music and dancing as well as a couple of notable guest appearances, and you've got yourself a movie I really enjoyed.
Elmo really loves his blanket, and he could never bear to part with it. He loves it so much that he doesn't want to share it, even for a few minutes, with one of his little friends. About this time, a series of humorous mishaps occur to land Blanket (it's essentially a character rather than an object) inside Oscar's garbage can. Elmo dives it to get it, only to be transported (along with Blanket) to Grouchland. This is a strange new world for Elmo, a place where you aren't supposed to ask for help or be kind to others. Elmo's beloved blanket ends up in the hands of the mean and greedy Huxley (Mandy Patinkin), a man who lives by the creed "Whatever I touch is mine." In order to get to Huxley's house and reclaim what is his, Elmo must overcome a number of challenges placed in his way and must even pass the ultimate challenge of the Queen of Garbage (Vanessa Williams). There is of course a message to the whole story, with children (and adults) seeing why it is important to share what you have rather than be greedy.
I'm not sure I would have wanted to see The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland at the theatre, but youngsters would surely have loved such an experience. Elmo asks the audience for help on several occasions, so parents should be prepared for having their kids yell out helpful words and sounds from time to time (FYI - I wouldn't recommend sitting directly in front of your children during the Queen of Trash sequence). Parents also shouldn't worry too much about children becoming too upset over Elmo's misfortunes. Whenever things start to look bad, Bert comes out and has the movie stopped and Ernie explains to him that there's still time for a happy ending.
I have to say I really loved this movie. It is funny, the musical scenes are quite good, and I can't get enough of seeing Elmo getting down with his bad self. This movie has everything that makes Sesame Street so great, and now I'm wishing I would have bought the DVD instead of just renting it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Children Cannot get enough of this movie!!, 16 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Adventures Of Elmo In Grouchland [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
If my own 2 year old Daughter was this films critic, She would give it 11 out of 10. This is a movie that has definite value for money. The music, dialog, and general concept is of a nature that can keep young children enthralled for hours, and have them keep coming back to watch it again. On top of all that, a parent can sit down with the kids and watch and enjoy this as much as the kids do. I would recomend Elmo's adventures in Grouchland to anyone with young children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Adventures Of Elmo In Grouchland [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
My daughter loves this film. Perfect to keep her quiet for a while so I can get on with the cleaning!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody Great, 28 Feb 2001
This review is from: The Adventures Of Elmo In Grouchland [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Well my 2 year old son was glued to the screen and so was his mother (who's 35 years old) both laughed all the way through.

4.0 out of 5 stars elmo in grouchland, 4 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Adventures Of Elmo In Grouchland [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
im not too keen on this movie. although it makes elmo look at his actions to zoey it also makes him out to be a bad guy when he acted like any other child would

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves this, 31 Dec 2006
I'm not sure why as it certainly dons't appeal to me but my son - just turned two - will sit and watch this constantly if you let him!

He finds it hilarious - he also has a blanket like Elmo and has taken to kissing it 'like Elmo' and can recite most of what Elmo says.

He had never watched Elmo before this but it still appeals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic film, 27 July 2013
ST (Preston, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adventures Of Elmo In Grouchland [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
My 18 month old and her older cousins love this - it's their favourite DVD so it's always being played. Holds their attention well, great characters, good acting, interesting story line, funny. Teaches about sharing, kindness, fun and friendship. Definitely worth buying!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT CATCHY TUNES, 10 May 2013
This review is from: The Adventures Of Elmo In Grouchland [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
MY 3 YR OLD WOULD WATCH THIS ALL DAY IF HE COULD! THE SONGS ARE GREAT AND THE STORY FUN AND COLOURFUL. LOVELY FOR A RAINY AFTERNOON.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandsons love it, 27 Feb 2013
Toniglitz "Toniglitz" (Wellingborough. England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adventures Of Elmo In Grouchland [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
This is a lovely DVD, very cute in some places, the only thing I do not like is the adult singing, the little ones do not understand this and find these parts boring,, but the DVD is still worth having. My grand sons love it

5.0 out of 5 stars My little girl loves it, 31 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Adventures Of Elmo In Grouchland [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
My little girl is 10 months and sat through the whole film completely engrossed in it. She really loved it

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›