Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 June 2002
Hits+ takes the 6 UK single releases from Kylie Minogue and Impossible Princess, plus the duet Where The Wild Roses Grow (with Nick Cave). Add to this a handfull of unreleased tracks (exceptional songs being the "Where Is The Feeling - alike" Gotta Move On and Difficult By Design from the 1994 period, and This Girl from the 1997 period), and a few remixes (Automatic Love acoustic being exceptionally different from the album version, with Kylie's vocal sounding a lot stronger) and you have an album that is a complete must for any Kylie fan's collection.
However, despite containing the singles and the unreleased recordings mentioned above, this is not the album i would recommend for a new Kylie fan. Understated Kylie classics such as Dangerous Game (KM94), Falling (KM94), I Don't Need Anyone (IP) and Dreams (IP) played a significant part in making the 2 DeCon albums the critical success they were, and are much more valuable than any of the singles or unreleased material (apart from Confide In Me and Wild Roses).
In 1994, Kylie Minogue (the album) was deemed a commercial success (albeit not a huge success, the album did as well as Light Years in the UK and was a convincing start). It is only now, with the huge comeback, that critics are writing off her entire DeCon period as a flop.
In my opinion Impossible Princess should have been a commercial success, despite the unfortunate timing of the initial release. Some Kind Of Bliss is the worst track on the album, and not at all indicative of the other 11 tracks. The album is not really Indie, and the Manics did not play a huge part on the album (although the other track I Don't Need Anyone is a stand out classic). The wrong singles were chosen, Kylie looked terrible, and where was the promotion?
This album is more Kylie than anything she has ever done - it is the only album where she has cowritten every track (all the lyrics) and the only album where she has completely written some of the songs. It is very personal and emotional, and if that makes it dark and uncommercial, so be it. It is still by far the best Kylie album around (and has not aged the same way Light Years has).
If you don't have any of the DeCon albums, I would recommend buying Impossible Princess (and) Kylie Minogue. Hits+ is definately more for fans.
on 13 February 2001
Hits + is definitely a gem. The artwork is simple yet beautiful. However, some of the songs were mastered very poorly. On a good sound system, you'll be able to hear irregularities on "Confide In Me" and "Tears".
The album features the singles that were released while she was with the hip DeConstruction label. However, especially for her "Impossible Princess" (or 1997 Kylie Minogue) album, the singles do not really reflect the excellent material that was recorded during these years. Masterpiece songs such as "Too Far", "Drunk", "Dreams" and "Jump" cannot be found on this compilation album, though they are better examples of the new musical integrity Kylie had developed.
Pure ear candy on this compilation is the extremely sexy mix of "Where Is The Feeling?", turning a cheesy pop song into one of the most sensual songs Kylie has ever done. Brothers In Rhythm kick major @$$. "If You Don't Love Me" is a beautiful Kylie-with-piano lovesong which shouldn't be missed. The absolute highlight of the album, however, is the nearly-10-minute long song "Take Me With You". Prepare to be enchanted.
There are a few songs that could and should have been included with this album, such as "Nothing Can Stop Us" and the beautiful "Love Takes Over Me". Let me not even bring up songs such as "Aston Martin".
All in all, this compilation is essential for Kylie fans as it features songs never commercially available before. However, it does have its bad sides (the imperfect sound quality on some of the tracks, and the omission of others). If you're fairly unfamiliar with Kylie's DeConstruction work, get a copy of her "Impossible Princess" album. Heck, get the Japanese edition, it has a bonus track and amazing 3D holographic card ;)
on 31 December 2000
this is an amazing cd!! all of kylie's deconstruction hits in one disc!! Now, the ones who have recently discovered kylie thanks to the superb light years will be able to know that there's life after LET'S GET TO IT and before SPINNING AROUND. CONFIDE IN ME is the better kylie song ever! PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE is a great slow song with a really great videoclip WHERE'S THE LOVE GONE is the best dance song i've ever heard WHERE THE WILD ROSES GROW... deserves the prize for Most Beautiful Song... what a great and melodic one!! BREATHE is simply great and different DID IT AGAIN: Kylie goes rock These are my favs, but the whole album sounds really really good. I recommend this album to all of those who have only heard Light Years, to discover the real, sweet, smart and grown-up Kylie. G R E A T !!!!!!!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 January 2016
key tracks..
confide in me
put yourself in my place
some kind of bliss
take me with you

just as kylie, bounced back with her light years album, her old label deconstruction cleverly decided to cash in on kylies new success boost. featuring 7singles released between 94-98, some b-sides and some previously unreleased tracks, this album wraps up the 'indie' phase of her career.

the singles are the strength of the album, and upon revisiting them you cant help but wonder why they were not as succesful as the pwl years (the hugely successful confide in me aside). and although the other songs weren't smash hits compared to most in her steller career, they were hits all the same and they really are great songs. the confide in me b-sides 'nothing can stop us' and 'if you dont love me' are welcome editions, as well as the beautifully epic nick cave duet 'where the wild roses grow'.

some of the unreleased tracks, are obvious why they were not released, as 'stay this way' really does nothing to warrant making it onto any kylie album. but the fantastic 'take me with you' should have at least found its way onto impossible princess. all in all its a great addition to any fan collection, but i guess it wouldnt interest many outside of kylies fanbase
on 15 September 2000
Kylie Kylie Kylie. She's such a goddess, she'll get my vote every time. Hits contains the songs by which she attempted to escape from the Stock-Aitken & Waterman pop puppet years and gain some sort of musical credibility by working with some more innovative and happening composers and producers. It was a qualified success !. Musically it was her best stuff. Confide in me was a underrated classic and, Breathe and Did it again were right up there and her work with the Manic street Preachers was very hummable. On some tracks her voice doesn't match the qualities of the music but it's still quite good stuff. The kind of stuff your dance-cred mates were horrified to find themselves liking. So musically yes - it worked, commercially - well, to get cred, you've got to have some commercial failures havn't you ?(Good luck to Radiohead on that one !).
on 10 February 2001
A wonderful album. It has a little bit of everything on it, music for all moods and all flavours - but it's harmonised by a slightly eerie, smokey quality to the whole thing. I especially adored the sultry 'Confide in Me' which is one of my favourite singles of all time. Some of it is poppy, some of it is rocky - they're all great tracks. In some ways I actually think this is better than her 'Light Years' album; this has a lot more depth.
on 25 April 2002
After listening to 'Hits' for the first time I wasnt sure if I loved the album or hated it, which is usually a good sign. With pop music these days being instantly likeable I feel like good music should take a little longer to settle in. Well, this album delivers. The first and last track clearly show how eclectic Kylie's musical tastes are (were?). It's a far cry from the Love Boat and Robbie Williams Kylie we know and love today. I'm happy this CD is part of my collection. It will surprise you.
on 17 October 2006
Hits+ is my favourite Kylie album, it's the only one I own. I've spent some time trying put my finger on why I like it so much and I think I know now. Hits+ is honest.

Here Kylie sounds like every woman I've ever know. It was made when her persona caught was somewhere between by neighbours and the sex goddess/ showgirl/ gay icon she is now.

I've encountered the jealously expressed in "Put yourself in my place", I've met women who were struggling with messy emotions like the one in "Did it again." "Breathe" is about being emotionally needy and half crazy because of it and "Confide in Me" is about secrets, and is probably one of the sexiest, deeply feminine songs I've ever heard. Though the album is occasionally poppy, it is a million miles from plastic pop of Fever and has an enormous range.

And like I said, it is honest.
on 12 December 2015
Kylie post PWL had grown up into a beautiful young woman. Dance music had taken the UK by storm and even crossed over into pop and charts. Kylie signs to established dance music indie label Deconstruction and an interesting musical period ensues working with various producers. Standout hits confide in me and put yourself in my place are two of my all time face kylie tracks and are from this period. Output tended to vary and some is experimental. Remember this really was Kylie, before she became 'cool'. Great album for price
on 2 February 2002
The 90's Kylie period passed me by, but with the number of positive criticism of her work, I chose to buy this CD. It was a welcome surprise, and is now a prized asset in my CD collection.
Confide In Me is a song I had already heard and loved; its haunting vocals and acoustics are chillingly good.
Put Yourself In My Place is a fantastic strong number, but the incessant crashing beat in the background marrs it somewhat, as it sounds out of time, and out of place. If you ever get a chance to hear the 'Live Lounge' version, it is far superior.
Where Is The Feeling? is a brilliantly dark track, with its stalker-like lyrics and impending climax.
Some Kind Of Bliss grew on me, but has now grown off me! Its a Kylie-Goes-Rock platform, with dramatic overtones that don's sit well together. Not the best track perhaps.
Did It Again starts off sounding poor, but by the chorus you understand what the song's getting at, and its rather good.
Breathe is by far my favourite track on this CD. An unconventional, classy pop song, its electric space-age feel is crisp, clean and polished. It is a beautifully executed song that is one of Kylie's unappreciated classics.
Where The Wild Roses Go is often praised, but is a song that I have never had the urge to listen all the way through. Perhaps that is why I have not witnessed its so-called beauty. As it stands, its the track I will always skip.
If You Dont Love Me is very sweet and very Kylie-Goes-Ballad. Not the best song on the CD, and not one I listen to much, but still a nice song.
Tears and Gotta Move On follows the trend in the middle part of the CD of being Ok, but not great. Nothing too special.
Difficult By Design brings back the high standards. It is a great track, and very sleek.
Stay This Way is a song I always skip, and one that is rather monotonous.
This Girl is quite good, but remains at the lower end of the scale.
Automatic Love is a wonderful song. Its chilled beginning is very sexy and very Kylie, and grows to an even sexier finish.
Where Has The Love Gone? is a good clubbing track, and though perhaps alittle dated now, the lyrics are strong and does not drag, despite clocking in at 9 minutes.
Take Me With You allows the album to come full-circle. It is perhaps reminiscent of Confide In Me with its dark tone and mournful lyrics. It is a gorgeous song, and though rather long, and perhaps even indulgent at 9 minutes, it is still very, very good.
The album is by no means perfect, but the good tracks are very, very, very good, and justify Kylie's praise for this period in her music career. Though no commericial success, the songs on this album are ones that deserve critical acclaim for their ingenuity, class and beauty.