Package Quantity: 1Size: one sizeChange

on 27 July 2009
Having read some of the reviews of this game I was really reluctant to buy it for my daughter as it sounded so flimsy. She was adamant that she wanted it though so we went ahead and bought....and I'm glad we did! The cards do not drop out at all....provided you insert them correctly as per the instructions. There are two small lugs at either side of each of the little plastic card holders (at about ear level on the cards). Providing you click the card passed these lugs they stay in place perfectly so please don't be put off buying it! We've had hours of endless fun and the cards haven't dropped out once.
0Comment38 of 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2015
*THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE NEW VERSION - THE ONE WITH YELLOW DOORS INSTEAD OF FLIP-DOWN PANELS, AND WITH LARGE DOUBLE-SIDED CARDS INSTEAD OF INDIVIDUAL PICTURES*

Like many here, I used to love playing this game when I was young and decded to get this new updated version for my child as a way of having fun together without watching telly.

Unfortunately its poor quality construction ruins what should be a very difficult game to mess up.

First, the good: instead of individual picture cards that have to be inserted individually, it now features a large card that's double sided (people on one side, pets on the other). You can also go to the official website and download, then print, different cards (or paper, I guess), which I haven't tried yet but seems like a good idea.

Now the bad: the game requires some assembly, which didn't bother me as it's quite easy, but it did seem a liitle ridiculous that you have to snap off four tiny pieces of plastic on each of the two game panels. But the worst part is the yellow doors - they take it upon themselves to close shut at the slightest movement, which basically ruins the game as you can't remember which ones were open before.

Really, they're so lightweight and cheaply made that if you or, as is more likely the case, you child, even so much as slightly tilts or knocks the unit the doors fly shut. Could the hinge mechanisms not have been made a little 'tighter' so as to prevent this problem?

Also, the units are designed to be linked together at the back. Sadly, the clipping mechanisms are also poorly made so they also come apart at the slightest movement, once again causing the doors to close.

I'm genuinely surprised that the re-design of a classic has been so poorly thought through. You'd think they'd have a little more pride in their product. Ironically I bought this as our travel version of the game was so poor with many of the same problems.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2015
I can see this game has had a lot of bad reviews. I bought this for my 4 year old for christmas and we have had a lot of fun with it. It is not the same as the old design I had as I child, but it is still a fun game and we have really enjoyed it.

Setting it up was a challenge when we first opened the box. You have to read the instructions carefully and break off little bits of plastic from the board, which feels wrong like you are damaging it. However, once done you don't need to go through that pain again!

The boards can lock together as per the picture so you can play head to head on the floor or table. Or they can be separated so you can play further apart. There are sliding markers on each board to indicate which character you have chosen, plus markers to keep score.

The thing I love best is the fact that one side of the character sheet is the usual range of people to choose from and on the other side is an animal range. My daughter loves this one! Cats, dogs, mice, rabbits, all sorts. There are no little cards anymore, just a big character sheet each which slides into the board, so less chance of losing anything. Always a bonus.

I am very glad I bought this as it is a game we can play together and neither of us gets bored.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 December 2008
I used to love playing this game as a child. One thing I've noticed with a lot of updated versions of classic games, the build quality, or lack of. I agree with what the previous reviews have said. The cards fall out of the holders so easily. The games I had as a child would last for years and I don't see this happening now. The people who make these games (MB or Hasbro) ought to be ashamed of themselves.

It is a good educational game and involves a process or elimination to guess the other persons card.

Dropped one star due to the rubbish quality.
on 16 November 2014
I bought this for my son for his birthday. I was so disappointed as, the game I remember from my childhood, had been ruined by cheap plastic boards, no weight to them so the doors don't stay open as intended. The doors also open like a book rather than the old style. It's tiny too, a waste of money! I would seriously seek out an old version a this is not a patch on the old game!
on 13 February 2009
Bought this game for my 5 year old for her birthday. I had played it as a child and had hours of fun so thought she would love it too. However I was so disappointed with the quality and durabilty of the pieces that after 15 to 20 mins play we got so annoyed with it falling apart we gave up. Regained our patience to try again the next day but still ended up 'throwing in the towel' after 15 mins. It now sits under her bed gathering dust. Very disappointed.
on 23 December 2013
If you loved the original don't buy this. Poor quality, annoying flip action and frustrating opening all the doors for them to close at slightest touch. Bought for my niece she's only played it once due to annoying features. Old version so much better. Mourning my youth. Would have given no stars if it was possible.
on 4 April 2013
My family have just bought the new Guess Who? and I am feeling quietly confident that this game board will last longer than the previous one.

Like many of the previous reviewers, I really enjoyed this game when I was a kid and can remember the weight of the plastic in my hands.

However when I purchased the Guess Who board game for my kids I was shocked by the general lack of quality and the amount of time it took me to put it together. No matter how careful my family were faces always fell out of the holders and inevitably got lost.

We just saw the advert for this game and I have rushed out to get it. So far I am impressed. The quality is not great but it is better than my previous game. I like that the faces are all on one sheet and so a lot less fiddly. My daughter loves the sheet of animals which extends the game.

My children are now planning to make their own card to slip inside the holder featuring much loved characters from the Kick Buttowski show. A Disney princess card is sure to follow.

If the plastic had been stronger and it had required no assembly I would have given it 5 stars.
on 21 May 2013
My granddaughters 3 and 5 both like this game but the adults also play and like it well worth the money
on 30 April 2011
I bought this game for my 7-year-old niece. It reminded me of a similar game which we used to play as kids and never tired of playing. It's an enjoyable game which can be enjoyed by kids and adults alike. The animal side is more fun since it usually takes longer to guess who the chosen one is.