Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Mini-DiscChange

on 22 February 2002
Its not his best, but then his best is pretty brilliant, so don't hold that against this album. 'Something in the air' in particular is a beautiful song. Its quite an introspective sounding collection, which I like. His voice doesn't seem to be what it was, but it still holds the songs pretty well. I'd buy other albums first, but if you've got them, head for this. You shouldn't be disapointed.
VINE VOICEon 15 January 2013
Wonderful. Beautiful. Lavish. Not since 1983's Let's Dance can I put on one of Bowie's lps and listen to it without jumping tracks or going off to do something less boring instead. Hours is for me a true gem. Soft rock, pop with hints of many other shades. That is what Bowie is and does - he paints and blends colours into shades, he does the same with his music. Many times the shades have had jagged edges when a smooth finish was required or vice versa. Here, on Hours, the colours are perfect.

The following info is designed to help new-comers to point them in the right direction for their own tastes.
The No. * rating is very personal to me and these ratings have never really changed in all the 33 years I've been listening to Bowie. They are how I rate the whole LP/cd compared to other BOWIE output.
During 1990 and 1991 EMI released digitally remastered cds under the title of "SOUND + VISION". Most had bonus tracks... some tracks are poor but some are worth getting.
The following list is not definitive but points out the most accessible cds to newbies of Bowie.

1967 DAVID BOWIE - try getting the DELUXE EDITION, or DERAM ANTHOLOGY (not as complete but a good collection). 60's pop / whimsical / musical hall / very folk. 2*
1969 SPACE ODDITY - Electric folk / folk / soft rock - just like Hunky Dory 5*
1970 - THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD - Rock / hard rock - not unlike early Black Sabbath. 4*
1971 - HUNKY DORY - Folk / folk rock - just like Space Oddity 5*
1972 - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars (aka ZIGGY STARDUST) Rock / glam rock 4*
1973 - ALADDIN SANE - Rock / glam rock 3.5*
1973 - PIN-UPS - 60's cover versions in rock / glam style. 2*
1974 - DIAMOND DOGS. An Orwellian style, bleak lyrics, up-beat rock and shades of soul hidden within. 5*
1974 - DAVID LIVE - The soul is starting to come thru. Not rock, more funk in style but without the funk... confusing !! 1*
1975 - YOUNG AMERICANS - Soul / funk 3*, but every time I play it I think hang on, this is 5* (confused again !!). Try and get the version with, "Who can I be now?", "it's gonna be me" & "John, I'm only dancing, again".
1976 - STATIONTOSTATION - The start of electronics can be heard here. Soul / soft rock 5* at least.
1977 - LOW - and enter BRIAN ENO. This is my fave LP. Bleak, depressing, alienation and very electronic with quiet rock . 5* at least. Also see "Heroes".
1977 - "HEROES" - and BRIAN ENO. This is one of my fave LPs. Bleak, depressing, alienation and very electronic with quiet rock . 5* at least. Also see LOW.
1978 - STAGE - live and brilliant but with fade-outs and gaps between songs. 4*. Life is tried to be pumped into some tunes which are, for me, left more barren and desolate.
1979 - LODGER - and more BRIAN ENO. A right mishmash of sounds and tunes. Took me years to get into this LP. 3* Pop (in a word).
1980 - SCARY MONSTERS & SUPER CREEPS - and this is where I came in. Rock with hints of funk, depression and it contains "Up The Hill Backwards"... my all-time fave single (strange choice I know, especially when I adore Bohemian Rhapsody)
1983 - LET'S DANCE. Disco-esque / soft rock. 4*. This is Bowie's biggest selling LP.
1984 - TONIGHT. See LET'S DANCE but only 1*.
1987 - NEVER LET ME DOWN - see TONIGHT but 2*
1989 91 - TIN MACHINE 1 & 2. Rock. Both 3*
1993 - BLACK TIE /WHITE NOISE Rock/pop with hints of modern R&B. 2*
1995 - 1.OUTSIDE. 2*. God I was wetting myself to hear this when I heard it was the return of BRIAN ENO. God I was disappointed. It's a story (a murder mystery) with only patches of brilliant music. 1*
1997 - EARTHLING. Not knowing what drum & bass is, the making of this cd documentary kept referring to it an D&B. I never got into it. 2*
1999 - HOURS... - pop / soft rock 5*
2002 - HEATHEN - pop / soft rock 4*
2003 - REALITY. Omg, it's 10 years old now. I hadn't realised he had a new cd out upon my return after a holiday. So it went into the shopping trolley my wife was pushing and it has never been very far away from the cd player. For me, I can hear shades of ALADDIN SANE. Pop / rock 5*
2013 - THE NEXT DAY. With it's altered "Heroes" cover ...(to be updated after its release)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 November 2007
As the lyrics go in 'seven' - but if we had to believe what we read in these reviews we'd never trust our own judgements. I agree with the guy who said this will be a classic in years to come. Let's just get one thing straight about 'Hunky Dory'. That album was accepted by a largely cult following and it was ignored by the masses. Now, it is seen as an absolute classic, but only the superstar nature of Ziggy et al made the public look back and buy. The wheel has now gone full circle. Bowie has a cult status. His fans, and I'm his biggest, adore his music as it is now. Will he ever become a superstar again? No way. And I reckon that's fine by him. But on the day that Mr Bowie departs this world - god forbid when it happens - all the little people will get their first taste of what they should have bought years before. They will listen to 'Seven', 'Survive' and the other compostions on this work of art - and think, do you know, I believed what my mother said. She said he was past it. Don't always believe your mothers, as this man deserves to be canonised when he departs. 'Hours' is the work of a genius.
VINE VOICEon 27 October 2003
Hours.. is a surprisingly good album which repays repeated listening. It is not in the same league as Heathen , but I enjoyed it much more than Bowies latest release Reality.Many of the songs on Hours... are slow and melodic with a lot of acoustic guitar and restrained vocals from Bowie. Thursdays Child and Seven are prime examples of this. However there are a few faster, harder tracks included such as The Pretty Things are Going to Hell and Whats Really Happening. My personal favourites would probably be Dreamers and New Angels of Promise towards the end of the album. It's an "easy listening" album of good quality pop songs which may not break the new ground that Heathen does , but which is enjoyable in its own right.Bowie certainly doesn't "rock" on Hours...,doesn't give us any surprises,but there are quite a few good tunes on it and I would recommend it .
on 23 November 2003
I've never seen how or why Bowie fans have been so Harsh about "Hours..." in my honest opinion it, it was his "return to form" album, after the average "Outside" & "Earthling", "Hours..." was stripped down, and back to basics, gone were all the electronic industrial beats, just leaving us with Bowie and his guitar, it's admitadly not as good as 2002's "Heathen", but "Hours..." is very accessable, any one of the tracks to could be singles stand out tracks are "Survive", Thursday's Child", "Seven", and "All The Pretty Things Are Going to Hell" I also Love "Brilliant Adventure" it's an instrumental, this album is generally easy listening apart from ATPTAGTH
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 September 2000
Excellent return to form from Bowie and a very consistent album too. Not one duff track! This is a real welcome, after some pretty good but not consistent albums he put out during the 1990s. This album has some really superb songs - some of the best stuff he's done since his 70's heyday IMHO. I bought it a few days back and it's been in the CD player ever since, if you like Bowie do yourself a favour and buy this CD, you will NOT be disappointed! Need I say more?
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 January 2012
what a pity that this album rarely receives the credit it deserves. Often compared with Hunky Dory, for its musical style, but not given anything like the same positive reaction, this album deserves to be cherished on its own merits.

The music is mostly melodic songs, which are quite wistful in tone, including the quite superb tracks 'Dreaming my life Away, Seven, and Thursdays Child. My personal highlight 'Survive' is a memorable song which stands well within the catalogue of Bowie's best.

Sadly underrated - this album does not deserve to be overlooked. Well worth adding to your collection and playing over and over
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 March 2000
When I first heard Thursday's Child I was dismayed. The song took ages to grow on me, but great music often does. I resisted the temptation to submit a review of this album when it was first released - how can you be objective about an album which you haven't lived with for a while?
If this was a vinyl album I suppose you would say that the A-side is fantastic - vintage Bowie - emotive, exciting, melodic, inspiring and beguiling. The second half of the album is much more patchy and apart from "The Pretty Things..." reminds this listener of some of Bowie's less interesting ventures i.e. "Black Tie" and "Tonight".
I hate to sound pessimistic though - the first five tracks - "Thursday's Child", "Something In The Air", "Survive", "If I'm Dreaming My Life" and the exquisite "Seven" are fantastic.
I guess it all boils down to expectations - there are very few albums where every track is a winner - "Aladdin Sane", "Blood on the Tracks", "St Dominic's Preview" maybe, but if you appreciate Bowie's special talent then I feel that 6 excellent tracks out of 10 is about as much as we can reasonably expect from a man who has made more great albums than any other artist.
on 25 June 2002
Bowie fans greatly anticipated this album because he was picking up his guitar again.
Those who had been waiting for a "Hunky Dory" follow up will be dissapointed this album is not a return to form, there are however three great songs on here "Something in the air" "Seven" & "The Dreamers" but it feels as if David is once again aiming at a pop audience (an audience I thought he would not return to)infact some of the B'Sides from the single "Thursday's Child" are better and more edgy than the album tracks,"what's really happening"(a song completely void of melody)"New angels of promise"(sounds like it was a reject off of the album "Heroes")are the worst.
The production by Mark Platti doesn't suit the album at all, and Reeves Gabrels who plays lead guitar sounds out of place on tracks like "Survive" & "Something in the Air" gladly Reeves has now decided to leave the Bowie band.
As a huge Bowie fan I was dissapointed and greatly annoyed as he proves he has the skill to write great songs ("Seven" "The Dreamers")and great albums ("1.Outside" "The Buddah of Surburbia") but for some reason he decided to revert to pop!.
on 15 November 2004
If sobriety really is the death of the muse, it may explain the awful slide of the man who was once the worlds greatest songwriter.
OK, so even David doesn't have a clue what great songs like The Bewlay Brothers is about, but Queen Bitch and Five Years must be hard to beat.
So here is a comeback of sorts. This and Heathen add nicely to the catalogue and whilst the reason that comes with maturity and the afformentioned sobriety have sulled creativity a little, this is a huge leap back from the dark days of Tin Machine.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse