5.0 out of 5 stars Darren - tastic!
This is Hefner at their best. They just keep on improving, this is FABULOUS. I can't stop playing it, especially 'Painting and Kissing', for me its a sing-a-long special, but isn't that what appeals about Hefner? For those that lived through the Thatcher era 'The Day that Thatcher Died' is pure heaven. Nice touch boys with the youngsters singing their hearts out for...
Published on 17 Oct. 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Ooooh, he's a mucky pup...
I bought this on the recommendation of the Wedding Present's David Gedge, and having been told (by about about half a dozen people) that it was "the best ever album about London."

Published on 9 Feb. 2013 by Lutz Svensson

4.0 out of 5 stars Hefner's most accomplished and polished to date, 17 Oct. 2000
This review is from: We Love The City (Audio CD)
The singing might be smoother, the production a bit slicker but it's still Darren Haymen's (singer/guitarist/songwriter in Hefner) observations and stories centered in and about London (but really it could be about any big city) that make this essential listening.
From the opening ode to the highs and lows of London ('We Love The City'), to the girl who lives on Holloway road in 'Painting and Kissing' or finding love in the Thatcher Years ('The Day that Thatcher Dies'), Hefner's third studio album is indie pop/rock perfection.

4.0 out of 5 stars classic hefner, 4 Jun. 2001
This review is from: We Love the City (Audio CD)
I have to admit that the first time i listened to 'We Love the City' i was unimpressed. It just didnt sound like the Hefner i'd grown to love on 'Breaking God's Heart', 'The Fidelity Wars' and 'Boxing Hefner'. I still think that it takes longer to grow on you than the other 3, but saying that - this is Hefner we're talking about and it only took a couple of listens to get me hooked. Hayman's lyrics are as thoughtful as they have ever been and tracks like 'The Day the Thatcher Dies' leave you singing all day and wanting more, while the beauty of the singles, 'The Good Fruit' and 'The Greedy Ugly People' aswell as 'Kissing and Painting' will leave you smiling at their sweetness. The additional vocals of Amelia Fletcher add a unique and new quality to Hefner's usual style. This is definately one for your collection.
'Love don't stop no wars, don't stop no cancers, it stops my heart'

4.0 out of 5 stars Best cd i've heard this year, 17 Oct. 2000
This review is from: We Love The City (Audio CD)
yet again (the real) hefner have come out with a perfect slice of something different. There's even a bit of politics (sort of) with 'the day that thatcher dies' familiar refrain ('ding dong the witch is dead...'). This album is another step along the way in hefner's progression from the somewhat obscure (breaking god's heart), to a more well-rounded pop act that everyone can enjoy and identify with. And as Darren says, there's only one f in hefner.

4.0 out of 5 stars yay! they've done it again..., 17 Oct. 2000
This review is from: We Love The City (Audio CD)
how anyone could ever get this hefner mixed up with the hefner that put out "residue" (and they aren't far off with the title...) should be taken outdoors and forced to run through heavy traffic. this is a slight (and i mean "SLIGHT" departure) from there usual stuff but the delicious, clever lyrics and hummable melodies are still very much present! by this album and save "residue" as a divider for your hamster cage.

5.0 out of 5 stars HEFTASTIC!!!!, 15 Nov. 2000
This review is from: We Love the City (Audio CD)
Once again, Hefner roll out their trade mark bragg-meets-costello-meets-velvet femmes sound, in their usual heart wrenching manner. True to form Hayman and friends once again share sordid stories about short personal "meetings" somewhere off the Holoway Road... Hayman's up to speed on this album with the singles, the "Good Fruit", and "The Greedy ugly people", and equally with the should-be-singles, "The days that Thatcher dies", "We love the city", and "Painting and Kissing". "We couldn't talk with the music so loud", indeed... So, how does this compare with other Hefner material? Having heard one claim, that there's no "Stole A Bride", or "The Librarian" -esque classics on this new album, I can only conclude that this unfortunate (or else uncultured) individual has fallen pray to the evils of "the tother Hefner" the bane of Darren's life at the moment. So....SEE THEM LIVE!!!- I can't stress teh importance of this enough! If you thought even one of the songs on this beutiful album was even worth mentioning, then seeing Hefner rock out to it live will soon have you hooked as much as the rest of us, chasing rare B side about horses and babies in bellies over the net, and through seedy record shops some where near Doncaster.... Buy this record, hell, buy it twice, but don't blame us for the consequences.

5.0 out of 5 stars PS there's only one 'F' in Hefner, one effing Hefner., 17 Oct. 2000
This review is from: We Love The City (Audio CD)
ok. this hefner (responsible for such classics as breaking god's heart and the fidelity wars) are the hefner. Darren Hayman's songs are absolutely out of this world - and this album is no exception. I think it's their best yet, possibly (it has some damn stiff competition!).....Buy this cd. it's great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Too nice to end!, 18 Oct. 2000
This review is from: We Love The City (Audio CD)
This album is really excellent though slightly below the coherent feeling of their last one (The FIdelity Wars) it has too many wonderful tracks to ingore.
They've also evolved nicely to use a lot more different musical stuff in their recordings

5.0 out of 5 stars Come to daddy - Still wacking out great tunes, 17 Oct. 2000
This review is from: We Love The City (Audio CD)
This album adds another great set of tunes to the already growing list, a good mixture between happy cheerfullnesssss and mellow words. Make sure you check out the last three albums also!

5.0 out of 5 stars can they do anything wrong?, 23 Nov. 2000
This review is from: We Love the City (Audio CD)
if i told you to go out right now and to buy this cd, it would be the understatement of the year. instead go out right now, and buy all of their cd's go into the nearest box office and book yourself some tickets for their next concert.
this should be enough for the moment.
i guarantee that if you purchase this album, or any of their others, you will be hooked. It is now a known fact, officially proven by scientists, that hefner is more addictive than heroin.
darren, and the boys, WE LOVE YOU.
"every time you cry, you give me little heart attacks"

3.0 out of 5 stars Ooooh, he's a mucky pup..., 9 Feb. 2013
Lutz Svensson (Deptford, London, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Love The City (Audio CD)

Well... I'd have to say that, as an newcomer to The Hefner Thing (TM), I found it all just a little bit creepy. Although there are undoubtedly some highs ('Good Fruit' and 'Painting & Kissing' very much hit the spot...), most of the album felt like being on the receiving end of a late-night heavy-breathing phone call. Is Darren Hayman some sort of indie Barry White..? Did he not think about taking a nice, bracing walk round Sainsbury's in order to alleviate some of his pent-up yearnings - instead of projecting them all at me..? I doubt if I'm even his type. He's certainly not mine. I don't think I'll be heading further into Hefnertown, anyway. Not without a responsible adult and a pepper spray...

We Love the City
We Love the City by Hefner (Audio CD - 2000)