5.0 out of 5 stars Its Poke' Tastic
I havent seen this film for ages and yet it's still good.

The Pokemon short nearly brought me to tears when Charizard got its head stuck, as Charizard is my all time favourite Pokemon. I rented it out again and when Ash was hit by Mewtwo and Mew, the sight of Pikachu crying - I had to stop myself crying as well.

It features Pokemon you rarely see in...
Published on 25 July 2006 by The-Final-Fantasy

3.0 out of 5 stars fun film
came before estimated delivery date
grate gift for children of all ages
i gave this item as a gift they loved it
Published 6 months ago by nikki

5.0 out of 5 stars Its Poke' Tastic, 25 July 2006
I havent seen this film for ages and yet it's still good.

It features Pokemon you rarely see in the TV series - Gyarados for example. You also see Mew the rarest Pokemon ever.

The only bad thing Pokemon (its a small thing) is that I think Ash cares too much about Pikachu.

Even so, its still a great movie so I reckon you buy it - at any age!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Pokémon Match Of All Time? Boy, Do Times Change, 19 Aug 2011
Matthew Stoneman "90's Guy" (North Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pokemon - The First Movie [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
I remember when Pokémon: The First Movie first hit UK cinemas in April 2000 (I think it was April, anyway). I went to my local cinema to watch it, which was actually within the confines of the secondary school I use to go to. With my 1 bottle of Diet Coke in hand I took my seat and prepared myself for what was undoubtedly the very peak of the Pokémon craze. When it was all said and done, I was blown away by what I had seen, just like every other kid was at the time. And now here I am today writing a review on the DVD.

PTFM starts off with the mini-movie, Pikachu's Vacation. Ash, Misty and Brock leave their Pokémon at a special holiday resort for the day. Pikachu and friends initially get into something of a disagreement with some badly behaved Pokémon, which include the likes of a Raichu and a Cubone; but eventually they all get on well and play together. The mini-movie feels like a regular episode of the TV series. The lack of English dialogue, (apart from the Pokédex) may annoy some, but it is actually funny in parts and a nice bit of light humour before we get to the main attraction.

That main attraction is Mewtwo Strikes Back. Mewtwo is a Pokémon cloned from the DNA found in a fossil of Mew, a Pokémon believed to have gone extinct a long time ago. When Mewtwo learns about how he was created, and that the scientists who created him plan to do more experiments on him, he becomes enraged and destroys the lab. Feeling that he was only brought into this world to follow human orders, he vows revenge on the human race, starting with a small group of trainers he invites to his island castle for a Pokémon battle; and guess who happens to be in amongst the group? Yep!

Given that the TV show was mainly comical, it was somewhat surprising to see that PTFM went for a more dramatic, intense feel. But it certainly worked in stirring up the emotions. There's a lot of tension during the battles -in particular the big one towards the end of the movie- that will keep younger viewers on the edges of their seats. There are some morale messages embedded in the movie as well, but they'll feel more like an insult of intelligence to most viewers.

There's one scene that sticks out to me more than any other. It's where Pikachu...oh, hold on. SPOILER ALERT!!!...OK, it's where Pikachu sheds a few tears after Ash appears to have popped his clogs during the last battle. Despite being gripped by the battles, any emotional impact I was supposed to understand at that particular moment went right over my head at the time of first viewing. It was nothing; just another scene to me. But thinking about it now, it was a very sad scene, and would've even made Vinnie Jones shed a few tears.

The special features on the DVD are nothing to write home about. They include a short feature on Ash's Journey and a preview of Pokémon The Movie 2000. However I did like the music video "Don't Say You Love Me" by M2M. It's a catchy little number, got a bit of a late 90's bubblegum pop vibe to it, and it's worth a few repeated plays.

Maybe it's because I'm older, wiser, and have a much bigger problem with facial hair than I did back in 2000; but Pokémon: The First Movie just doesn't seem to have quite the same epic-ness and "Wow" factor it had when I first laid eyes on it, and the urge to watch it again today is much weaker. It's not helped by the fact that the craze died out many years ago. Nevertheless it's still a good movie and a must-see for the youngsters and the super-duper-mega hardcore Pokémon fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars i love pokemon, 25 May 2013
This review is from: Pokemon - The First Movie [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Pokemon is my all time best cartoon. I watched it on tv before i went to school. Im 21 and still love pokemon and pikachu is my best pokemon lol. A brilliant film and worth the price. Buy it if ur a big pokemon fan. You will not be disapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing movie, not just for kids., 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: Pokemon - The First Movie [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Yeah, brilliant if you fancy a good cry. I'm 23 for goodness' sake! I saw this when it came out in the cinema years ago - cried then, cried now.
The original Pokemon movie; it's a great movie full of values if you know where to look for them. Pokemon is not just for kids - in fact it's lost on the current generation. I grew up with it - it made school fun, until they banned Pokemon cards, like they banned everything else. This DVD would make a great gift if just for nostalgia's sake.

5.0 out of 5 stars A golden oldie, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: Pokemon - The First Movie [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
The storyline is great, it shows a well told plot about friendship. For me it's a must see, even though i'm 33.

3.0 out of 5 stars fun film, 13 Feb 2014
came before estimated delivery date
grate gift for children of all ages
i gave this item as a gift they loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good if not better than i remembered it!, 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: Pokemon - The First Movie [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
The first and best pokemon movie!
I remember watching the movie the first time round and thinking that was a great movie.
Now i find myself appreciating the movie all over again, all of the nostalgia came flooding back to me.
It arrived in decent condition, although advertised in the product picture is doesn't actually come with a card but i already had the card from the VHS copy so it wasn't a problem.
Great Storyline, great voice acting. Overall just a great movie 5/5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Pokemon - The First Movie [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
Great movie! Bought it for my best friend, she absolutely loved it! Was a used one but barely any scratches! :D

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed., 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: Pokemon - The First Movie [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
There was a sticker on the box that said it came with the Mewtwo Pokémon card but there was no card in the box. Also, there was felt pen writing on the inside of the dvd case which luckily came off because this was a gift.

4.0 out of 5 stars this movie is the best thing since sliced bread, 4 Jan 2001
By A Customer
As an avid teenage (yes teenage) Pokémon fan I can safely say that this movie is fantastic. The never before seen footage at the beginning sheds a little more light on the situation than at the cinema but admitedly would be clearer if they showed the whole ten minutes. I recommend this for anyone who is or has a child who is into Pokémon.

Pokemon - The First Movie [DVD] [2000]
Pokemon - The First Movie [DVD] [2000] by Kunihiko Yuyama (DVD - 2000)
Used & New from: 7.99