4.0 out of 5 stars Great!
We've had a PS2 for about 9 years now, and it still works! Granted, it's pretty hit-and-miss whether the game you insert will load, but after 9 years I think that's to be expected.

Published on 14 Dec. 2010 by Agb2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but with mounting costs...
Published on 28 Dec. 2001 by Andrew

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 14 Dec. 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sony PS2 Console (PS2) (Video Game)

The games you can play are brilliant - they beat everything we have for our Wii. Grand Theft Auto, Star Wars Super Bombard Racing, Champions Return to Arms, Timesplitters - now, THEY are what you call video games! None of this virtual tennis and fake guitars nonsense.

The downside is that most of these games require another player with you to truely enjoy them, and there's no internet, so you can't get players that way. (as far as I'm aware.) You can play them on your own, but they are just not as fun.
There are only 2 slots to connect controllers to, but you can buy an adapter that allows you to play 4 player, provided you have 4 controllers. The controllers aren't wireless, unlike a lot of things nowadays, so they do get tangled if you don't put them away carefully.

The console itself is black, and it's as tall as the length of my ring finger. The CD slot comes outwards, rather than opening upwards like the slimline PS2 does, and I find that this is much easier to use. It means that you can keep things on the top of the console - controllers, game cases, etc - the benefits of which I didn't realise until I tried using my friend's slimline.

The console also doesn't have loads of confusing buttons or weird cable slots, and this means that it is easy to setup and use.

The controllers are lovely. They are comfortable to hold, and easy to use, and - quite simply - logical. I don't know the techinal names of any of it, but the two things that can spin around are rotated using your thumb, and in most games they control your direction funtions. This is much easier than the Wii controllers. The four arrows on the left can also be used for movement, but I don't tend to use them. The four shapes on the right vary in their funtions between games, such as picking up things and firing spells. I generally press these with my thumb. There are four buttons on top of the control, two on each side, which I press with my index and middle fingers. They are usually used to fire weapons and throw things.

One general downside is that my local games shop no longer has a section for PS2 games, as I don't think many people buy PS2 games anymore. You can still buy games off the internet, though.

All in all, I think that this is a great console.

5.0 out of 5 stars As Bjork said..., 20 Feb. 2004
By A Customer
"It's oh, so quiet ... shhh, shhh"
First and foremost, the most startling thing about this new silver version (like, what's wrong with black??) is that it runs almost silently.
And when I say silent, I mean, if you change channel or turn off your tv and don't notice that the lights on the front of the console are still on, it's easy to go to bed and leave the PS2 switched on.
The original black boxed PS2 was notoriously noisy, howling like a banshee, especially when compared to the Xbox and even the Dreamcast (R.I.P.).
Apparently the DVD drive - and a few other things, all of which are imperceptable to me - have been improved (see below).
Personally, I hate the colour but love the improved cooling mechanism.
Speaking as a seriously disgruntled owner of an original black PS2 which went beserk, wouldn't always boot up and chewed up game discs* I have to admit, albeit begrudgingly, that the newer silver model is bringing back memories of why I bought the damned thing in the first place.
Although the Xbox has stolen some of the market and is winning over a lot of the hearts and minds of people who wouldn't have bothered with the PS2's back catalogue previosly, the Sony console is still an awesome bit of kit, or, should I say, it's still the best supported console on the market.
The box is only as good as the game you put in it and the PS2, whatever the colour (Japan has red, yellow, blue...) is still the best supported platform on the market.
On the downside is the fact that you still have to fork out an extra £20 for a memory card before you can even start using the thing.
It would surely make life easier for gamers if Sony were to bundle the consle with one memory card and raise the price by, say, £10-15? Oh well...
Oh, and another thing: everyone I know who has their PS2 stood vertically has problems with it. So, if space allows, lay it horizontally and save yourself a lot of hassle with skipping discs etc.
(*In the end I took a hammer to the black PS2 - literally - and just bought a new console. Of course Sony would not accept that the problems were endemic to the early build of the console even though hundreds of gamers suffered the same problems. Must do better, Sony.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised!, 16 Mar. 2001
This review is from: Sony PS2 Console (PS2) (Video Game)
Well, well, well.....Having been determined to hold off buying one until the hype and the price had dropped to a sensible level, I finally bit the bullet last week (oh the joys of store credit!) and bought my PS2. Having been a Dreamcast owner for the last year (and very happy with it too) I was saddened by the decision to stop making them and even more irked by the amount of games by 3rd party publishers that are now being dropped and so it is nice to have a system with some real backing again. The fist generation PS2 games, on the whole are very impressive (on par if not better technically than the 1st generation dreamcast games) though perhaps not the most original titles in the world. I own Timesplitters, Fifa and Tekken and have enjoyed all of them. As far as I can see, the console can only go from strength to strength over the next few years and I am looking forward to all the upcoming 2nd gen titles. I have been fortunate to have so far had no technical problems with my box (waiting 4 months after launch to buy one obviously did the trick) though I know others were not so fortunate. Still, most new systems have some teething problems (anyone remember the problem plagued PS 1 when it was released 6 or so years ago!?) As for the DVD....well I know it is not as good as my mates £250 dedicated player but, considering it is a secondary function of the console, I am very pleased - it is considerably better than my.. video recorder and that is enough for me. So, should you buy one?.....To be quite honest I would recommend to most that it may be worth waiting a few months - a price drop and a few more top quality games would improve the packages appeal no end, but on the whole I am very pleased with my new system.

5.0 out of 5 stars The one and only games console, 22 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Sony PS2 Console (PS2) (Video Game)
Hell to buying a PS3 or xbox 360. The PS2 is now cheap and brilliant. As are the games.

I bought mine brand new in 2000, and since then it has suffered more abuse than what we took as a country in the second world war. And it still works!

And now games are selling for peanuts, games that are brilliant and fun. Millions of games. Much more than the xbox or ps3.

I'm not buying a PS3, there is just so many more games to play on the PS2 first! And if I buy a PS3, I'll have to get a new tv that will support it.

I beg you, think twice before getting a PS3. The PS2 is still alive, they are cheap, the graphics are still acceptable and they are less fragile.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but with mounting costs..., 28 Dec. 2001
This review is from: Sony PS2 Console (PS2) (Video Game)
First of all, let me make clear that the PS2 is a great console. It is the best you can get in the UK at the moment, and I am not disputing that. However, even though Sony have reduced the price..., you should be aware that ... is not all you'll have to pay. In order to get it to 'playable level', you will need some accessories, and Sony make sure you pay over the top for them. Eg, if you want to save games, you'll need a memory card, if you have a older TV you'll need an PS2 RF Unit just to get going, if you want to play 2-player, you'll need another controler, and to watch DVD's you'll need a DVD remote. Add to that that fact you'll need at least one game, and you're talking about ... more on top of the console price. Whilst it is a great console, be aware of these extra costs before you buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars CLASSIC GEM NEVER FADES, 31 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Sony PS2 Console (PS2) (Video Game)
After well over a decade, the Playstation 2 (PS2) is still an outstanding console by today's standards. Whether you're a racing junkie, a sports fanatic, an epic platformer, a seasoned RPG master, or tactical espionage expert, this system has quality that anyone will find enjoyable. I can confirm, as will anyone, that the PS2 has become just as legendary as it's predecessor, the original Playstation, as well as the current-gen Playstation 3. Being one of the most dynamic and diverse console's to ever grace our televisions, I strongly recommend the PS2 to anyone looking for a well performing machine. 10/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality of the PS2, 21 Feb. 2013
mike (england united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony PS2 Console (PS2) (Video Game)
I am above happy for this product, the quality of the packaging was the best it could be for a second hand product. It came with all the cables I needed to play the classics!

The only fault I could find, so far! Was that, the disc tray is rather stiff and would make a clicking noise.

negatives aside, I am beside myself with this console. The customer service was substantial, he replied on time and was accurate and polite with the products details.

Overall I would recommend this console to anyone. ^^

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Console Available, 11 May 2002
This review is from: Sony PS2 Console (PS2) (Video Game)
When comparing the PS2 with the X-Box one cannot deny that on paper the X-Box far outshines its rival. Yet that alone still shouldn't pull you away from the PS2. The gaming capabilities and anticipation for the X-Box have so far not delivered, and this is why the PS2 should convince you to place your money this way.
When comparing the graphics between this and that of the Game Cube and X-Box there isn't much of a noticable difference.
Yet when comparing the variety of games available between the three this is where the PS2 excels itself. Sony Playstation is the leader in the gaming market, and it is a safe assumption to say that the majority of game developers are going to invest there efforts in this direction.
This is the main reason why PS2 for me was the right console to buy.
Alongside this PS2 supports DVD playback and Dolby Digital surround (via Digital Optical Out). Yes, the X-Box also supports this, but the Game Cube can only manage Dolby Pro Logic II; not almost on the same level.
Alongside this PS2 offers a whole range of upgrading capabilities and expansion packs, aswell as supporting all the PSOne software - and improving the graphics in some cases.
By far my favourite console on the market, definitely worth its money.

5.0 out of 5 stars the ps2 still has it after 10 years defo wins my heart, 25 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Sony PS2 Console (PS2) (Video Game)
this is a great machine its still very fun to use i have a ps3 an xbox360 and the original ps2 (fat 1)x2 the fat model is much better than the fashionable silm line the fat ps2 doesn't overheat and its 10x more reliable than the silm line it has great graphics and great fun games to play i can not fault this machine its excellent any1 who wants to buy a cheap but great console needs to buy this it plays ps1 games and cd also DVD even though i have a ps3 and a xbox360 this machine is still very fun to use i actually play on it more than the newer later models ok it doesnt have motion sensors or its own gadgets there is a wireless control that is sold separately but dont let that bother you its still 100% fun to use with the wired controller i cant beleve how cheap this machine is the price is unreal well worth the price if not more than the price if you never had 1 am sure you will be very entertained

no need for the stand works perfect lying down the stand is just away to waste money you dont need it trust me

5.0 out of 5 stars Ps2 is a dream, 24 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Sony PS2 Console (PS2) (Video Game)
Ok i have had my ps2 for a couple of months now and its been the best buy I think I have ever had. With games such as SSX and GT3 it just shows the amazingly smooth cutting edge graphics. And with a built in DVD player what more could you ask for? The ps2 is going to be far better than the X-box and Gamecube by a long way. Quality games such as Tony Hawk 3 and grand theft auto 3 on the way this is the best console of all time. You must own one!!

Sony PS2 Console (PS2)
Sony PS2 Console (PS2) by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation2)
Used & New from: £24.99