4.0 out of 5 stars A little short but a great introduction
The first thing that struck me about this CD is how short the main album is - 9 tracks could be construed as too short by much of the record-buying public, so if you can, get hold of the double-cd with the EXCELLENT live CD mentioned by 'A Music Fan from Scotland'.
Published on 1 Nov 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Is this the real Catherine Wheel? Maybe 50%
Published on 9 Sep 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars A little short but a great introduction, 1 Nov 2000
This review is from: Wishville (Audio CD)
Now, for the main album itself - I would have liked some slightly weightier tracks which the Wheel have come up with in the past like 'Broken Nose', or something a bit punkier in the vein of 'Intravenous', but the tracks on this album are nonetheless Catherine Wheel to the core - confident, mature songwriting underpinning a very unique assured pop/rock sound.
The best thing about this album is that it contains one REALLY OUTSTANDING track in the form of 'What we want to believe in'. This is just the sort of strong single track that British radio ignores, letting us all down in the process. The melody is sublime, something that anyone can pick up at a minute's notice, without ever sounding watered-down and trite.
In the rest of the album the songwriting's also great, but I would have liked more songs, not to pad it out, but to provide the sort of immediate hit you get from the likes of 'Mad Dog'.
Please get yourself a copy of this album and see what I mean. If you like feeder, liked cable or kerbdog, or the pumpkins for that matter, you should like this.
BY ALL RIGHTS THIS BAND SHOULD BE FAR BIGGER THAN THE MANIC STREET PREACHERS ...

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than most, 7 Jan 2001
This review is from: Wishville (Audio CD)
Even though it is not the strongest Catherine Wheel release, it is still better than most music coming out today. Any fan, from the early Ferment lovers to the Adam and Eve lovers will find something. It's not perfect, but it's still a must have for any true CW fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not their best, but still better than most..., 2 Oct 2000
This review is from: Wishville (Audio CD)
Catherine Wheel return after a long and much anticipated wait following 'Adam & Eve'. This album is shorter and like all good albums the songs take a while to sink in. But rest assured they soon become familiar friends. A must for all CW fans - but everyone new to the band should start at Adam & Eve then work backwards and forwards, if you're a fan of intelligent rock music you owe it to yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Feb 2010
A. Keen - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wishville (Audio CD)
As described before purchase, good condition, excellent music, well worth buying, maybe not Catherine Wheel's best album but still a great one and the live bonus disc really is a bonus.

3.0 out of 5 stars Is this the real Catherine Wheel? Maybe 50%, 9 Sep 2000
This review is from: Wishville (Audio CD)
My wife bought me this CD since I'm a bit of a Catherine Wheel fan. I own all the CDs but I'm with Groucho when it comes to joining clubs. I'm afraid it's the free live CD that lets this new release down. What it does is show what an excellent back catalogue this band have and how weak the new songs are in comparison. Mad Dog was presented on some magazine cover mounted CDs and sounded excellent, suggesting that the band had maintained their high but under-rated standards but it's isolated here. Rob Dickinson is reported as saying that Crysalis in the US had 'encouraged' him to write more AOR radio friendly songs to get the band success in America. Would be nice to know where they are - because they certainly aren't on this album. It sounds like a band running out of tunes and ideas, something that I, for one, didn't expect. Only Mad Dog and Creme Caramel are there to remind you of the prodigious talents of the band, with Sparks... scraping a pass-mark. If you want to hear the real Catherine Wheel, play the live CD and, despite the poor balance, be amazed at tracks like My Solituda and Heal. Guys, you get three stars for what you might have had, sadly not for what you have now.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 19 Oct 2000
This review is from: Wishville (Audio CD)
The above says it all. Not a Chrome or Happy Days - they seem to becoming very americanised - which isn't my thing. They've lost an edginess, a raw emotion that cut through to you, especially with Chrome/Ferment. It may grow on me but I doubt it. They're still one of my favourite bands, especially live but there seems to be something missing for me. If you liked Adam and Eve, you'll probably enjoy this but if like me you prefer their earlier albums then I think you'll be left wondering when they're going to return to form.

Wishville
Wishville by Catherine Wheel (Audio CD - 2000)