5.0 out of 5 stars Simply sublime
Published on 14 Mar. 2001 by simonncfc@aol.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for rare tracks to complete a collection
Nothing "classic" on this CD, but worth getting to complete a collection and it does contain some good dance soul.
Published 16 months ago by C N Cookson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply sublime, 14 Mar. 2001
This review is from: Tamla Motown Connoisseurs (Audio CD)
Unbelievable - Richard Searling's compilation of Motown rarities is quite simply the best compilation I've bought since his Soul Chasers collection at least five years ago. Gem follows gem follows gem without let-up. Its so hard to pick out highlights but I'll have a go; the Gladys Knight track is like the best Northern Soul floor-filler you've ever heard, Chris Clark's blue eyed soul gem is the same song as the Frank Wilson classic, but what an interpretation, while Marvin Gaye's version of the pop hit Sunny is sublime.
I can't help going on! The Marvelettes' track is one to keep you on the dancefloor just when those legs were tiring, while Barbara McNair proves that there's more than her than "You're Gonna Love My Baby". The Undisputed Truth and the great Bobby Taylor prove that Motown is not exclusive to Northern Soul dancefloors, while the Detroit Spinners soar away on Where is that Girl...

5.0 out of 5 stars superb c.d., 5 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Tamla Motown Connoisseurs (Audio CD)
I thoroughly enjoyed this c.d.took me back to my old northern soul days,would highly recommend this to you "old soulers" out there!

5.0 out of 5 stars New ears for this one!, 14 Oct. 2002
This review is from: Tamla Motown Connoisseurs (Audio CD)
I have a wide interest in music;rock, blues,rock,heavy,spanish, classic's. I play them in my car, at home, in my bedroom,living room etc (you get the picture) this cd is so good that is shifting all the time from one player to another.....!!! My favorite is Track 7 it just sticks in my head round and round...briliant!!
I am 42 yrs old and missed this era, think I was into "Yes" at the time, but now making up for it now.
Really enjoying this cd... a bargain... next selection please
YOU JUST GOTA BUY IT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable - a must, 13 Feb. 2002
This review is from: Tamla Motown Connoisseurs (Audio CD)
I've had this album for over a year now, and I have to endorse fully that which others have put on this review section. Quality song after quality song with no let up. Richard Searling's ear is without question but even he's excelled himself on this one - pure genius. Standouts are impossible to define, but the Temptations "That'll Be The Day" just won't go away, The Originals "Don't Stop Now" proves just how soulful Motown can be. Tammi Terrell's "Lone Lonely Town" and Marvin's "Sunny" makes you miss them even more - outstanding. Hit repeat on the CD player, or random over and again - you will not tire of a single one of these classy items. Timeless. Thanks RS & Universal for making me rediscover why I got into Soul in the first place - the quality and sincerity in every emotive note sung and infectious beat played.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best deal!!, 12 Nov. 2001
David Spanswick (Brighton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tamla Motown Connoisseurs (Audio CD)
This is simply the best deal for a soul album ever.It would be worth the cash for Martha Reeves' "No one There" alone. just listen to those lyrics - pure Sondheim!
Every track is a winner and I have not stopped playing it since I got it. Beside the Martha track there are other great treasures: Gladys Knight's pulsating Here are the pieces of my broken heart", and Marvellettes "Don't make hurting me a habit". Lyrics like this are simply not written any more and the delivery is gooseflesh inducing. Instead of blowing seven quid at the pub tonight buy this album. It is the kind of compilation you would construct for any new soul fan whose extent of soul music starts and ends with Marvin Gaye. What other gems are out there waiting to be heard. A million thank yous Richard Searling for satisfying this ol' broken heart!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Motown gems, 19 Oct. 2003
Dave W "Dave" (DERBY, DERBYSHIRE United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tamla Motown Connoisseurs (Audio CD)
This collection contains some of the lesser known music produced by motown was during the 60s & 70s and yet it still has that obvious motown quality. For me one of the great things about the 'northern soul' scene is that great tracks are still being unearthed even today.
My favorite 3 tracks are-
1."Here are the pieces of my broken heart" Gladys Knight
A great typically motown beat with Gladys in great form
2."It's growing" The Contours
The legendary Contours show a slower side with this excellent track
3."No one there there" Martha Reeves
Not a typical northern beat, just great lyrics & vocals. A truly soulful track-my personal favorite on this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crucial for full appreciation of the Motown sound, 13 May 2002
This review is from: Tamla Motown Connoisseurs (Audio CD)
For those who only want Motown's top hits: this CD provides none of those. What it does provide is a much deeper appreciation of the greatness of the company's writers, producers and performers. I am an avid Motown/Soul fan, and after I'd gotten all of Motown's "big names" like Marvin, the Temptations, Martha Reeves, the Supremes, the Four Tops, etc., I hungered for more. So I thought, "There must've been much more to Motown than those big names and hits everybody knows..." And I was right. I found the 'Big Hits & Hard To Find Classics' series and loved it; then 'Motown Connoisseurs'. But you always want more - the beautiful sounds of Motown are addictive. Luckily, a new volume of 'Big Hits & Hard To Find Classics' has just come out, and a double CD of rare material is just around the corner too. What great times for Motown fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars Motowns Hidden Classics, 30 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Tamla Motown Connoisseurs (Audio CD)
A big well done to Richard Searling for this fantastic collection.From the very first track Gladys Knight"s brilliant "Here are the pieces of my broken heart" It doesn"t let up just one great track after another.Any one of these tracks could have been a top 5 hit.As well as motown legends like Marvin,Stevie and the Temptations it contains tracks from sadly underated artists like Brenda Holloway,Chris Clark and Barbara McNair.At last these tracks have been realesed from the vaults after all these years. A marvellous compalation.Buy it now

4.0 out of 5 stars Great memories, 3 May 2009
Michael Kew (Belfast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tamla Motown Connoisseurs (Audio CD)
There were so many records that i heard at Wigan and Blackpool Highland Rooms but never bothered to put a name to, and to hear them again after so many years is incredible, wonderful memories. Never at the time did I think they were from the Motown vaults.

Chris Clark: Do I Love You.....the whole scene in one track, brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Compilation, 12 May 2014
Richard Newbold (Leicestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tamla Motown Connoisseurs (Audio CD)
Often obscure tracks are obscure for a reason, but Tamla Motown is the exception as this compilation shows. It's good that fans of Motown and Northern Soul have kept the interest in early Motown alive and the selection offered up here, is a great collection of the ones that slipped through the net. My favourite - the David Ruffin-led Temptations "That'll be the Day" (not the Buddy Holly version) and Martha Reeves' "No One There" - sublime.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Tamla Motown Connoisseurs
Tamla Motown Connoisseurs by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2001)