Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 January 2002
I bought this because I had heard the first two tracks of the album and thought,how bad could the rest of this album be?
I was pleasantly surprised by the breadth of musical theme and the playfulness of the lyrics.Personally there first two albums have been so overexposed that I find this album and "Stage Fright" to be fresher and more interesting.
Listen to "Where do we go from here","4% Pantomine","Thinking out loud" and "Smoke Signal",and delight in some of the Band's most enjoyable songs.A forgotten album which is well worth investigating.
on 29 June 2003
Generally, this is an album which receives poor reviews & is considered by some to be one of the Band's weakest efforts. However, if you come to this with an open ear, then you'll find there are some very effective, complicated and beautiful songs on it.
From 'Smoke Signal' to 'River Hymn' via 'Thinking out loud', the Band proved that there was little they couldn't play or sing with aplomb when the mood struck them.
on 30 October 2008
This album copped its share of brickbats at the time, but it has its moments. Life Is a Carnival, When I Paint My Masterpiece, The Moon Struck One and 4% Pantomime are good songs, and the musicianship on the album is excellent.

The bonus tracks improve the album: Endless Highway is a good song, first heard on Before the Flood and Bessie Smith was on The Basement Tapes. The alternative 'Masterpiece' is a gem.

As with Stage Fright, Cahoots has a bright, edgy and brittle sound which doesn't have the same listener appeal as other Band albums. Worth adding to your collection if you really like The Band.
on 4 October 2014
Such an underrated album. I held out buying this for years based on mixed reviews I'd read. Ok - it may not be an all time classic like Music From Big Pink or the eponymous album, but the playing is tight and faultless and a handful of the songs are as good as anything the Band ever released. The bonus tracks enhance this release. Well worth investigating!
on 26 July 2014
It was always going to be impossible to match the brilliance of the brown album . This album , however , is nowhere near as bad as critics said at the time . When I Paint My Masterpiece is a Dylan song presented here in a nicely rolling version with a keening Levon Helm vocal . Robbie Robertson writes the remainder , the other members not being too interested in writing by this time . Robbie was more interested in film than music in 1970 and this explains the strangeness of The Moon Struck One , a musical reworking of Truffaut's Jules Et Jim . There are many good songs and the record really cooks in places . A particular ( and unplanned ) highlight is visitor Van Morrison swapping choruses with Richard Manuel on 4% Pantomime - all done in one take and the sparks really fly . It's all about the difference in price between the red and black labels of Johnnie Walker apparently . If the brown album had never been made and this was the first album by an unknown band , people would be raving .
on 8 February 2011
I'm an avid fan..though returning after some years having junked the record deck and have now bought CD's this week and am basking in The Band as i write this. Whispering Pines plays as i write from the THE BAND album....their ballads are in my opinion their outstanding achievement..'All La Glory' on Stage Fright is another gem..melcancoly and what life is all about..a collective genius. And here we have my slight issue with Cahoots..it lacks the ballads i love so much. I can even (just about) recall buying it when it came out and though i liked it felt it didn't quite match what had come before. You won't be let down and its still excellent...just not quite as good, in my humble opinion, as what's gone before...if you haven't bought any buy, THE BAND and STAGE FRIGHT and BIG PINK before this one...but hey, its very personal music, as we all know...
on 13 February 2013
I make no apology: I've been a Band fan since I first heard "The Weight" so I'm possibly biased but the critical reviews of this album that I have seen generally call it lightweight. However, I guarantee that you'll be humming tunes from this collection for days after playing it. Where previous albums have each reached significant composing heights in a few tracks I find this one more consistently commercial with no weak tracks. It's up there with Stagefright as far as I'm concerned.
on 16 March 2011
This disc takes you back a few years to say the least but the quality is still there, a great blend of country rock and blues.....just love it and with the collaboration of Van The Man on Pantomime, well need I say more, what a legend. Buy it you'll thank yourself everytime you listen to it.
on 25 October 2012
Do yourself a favour and buy this album and discover what the words 'musical' and 'talent' really mean.At the risk of sounding cliched this is a timeless album.If you don't get a shiver down your spine when you listen to 'When the moon struck one' you are inhuman.I cried!.
on 13 December 2009
Very expensive compared to the standard CD and lacks any bonus tracks. The SACD layer however sounds great.(stereo only).Good to see SACD is not dead yet!