Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 March 2016
Rock and roll bluesy at its best. Coverdale is the full package!!
on 5 November 2015
I totally agree with a couple of the other reviewers that this is David Coverdale at his best, before the big rock songs of the 80's and the various changes in the line-up of Whitesnake. I have just bought this and Whitesnake, Coverdale's debut album after leaving Deep Purple and haven't heard them for about thirty years and I have to say I appreciate them more now than I did then, and I really liked them when they were first released. The production is all quite simple (as things used to be at the end of the 70's!) and listening to the vocals now I much prefer this to what came later, the style is soulful with a few that have a bit of a gospel touch, and the only real rock tune is Breakdown. I'm looking forward to playing it several more times over the coming weeks and reliving my youth! Anyone who hasn't it heard yet and thinking about buying it, won't be disappointed!
on 29 October 2015
David Coverdale circa 1974 - 1984 is one of my all time favourite singers. He had an unbelievable soul infused blues rock tone at this time in his career until the screaming started in the late 80's! Northwinds represents a collection of well written songs that showcase Coverdale's vocals perfectly, right from the tender and heart wrenching 'Time and Again' during which he wrings every bit of emotion out of the song to the upbeat rocking 'don't mess with me' vocal stylings on 'Breakdown'. Every word is believable, every song is well arranged and supported by a fine array of musicians and backing singers. I originally bought this on vinyl in the early 80's, this CD remaster version seems to lack a little bit of the warmth of the original analogue recording but that is just a fact with the digital / analogue juxtaposition. Definitely worth checking this album out if you like the early part of David Coverdale's work in Deep Purple and the first 4 Whitesnake albums.
on 15 December 2014
An absolute classic...Coverdale at his best
on 6 November 2014
What have they done to this album? Beggared about with it that's what! It worked perfectly well as it was and if something ain't broke then don't fix it. The extra track doesn't fit in with the other tracks, I find it really jarring - especially after listening to the vinyl version since its original release date in the 70's - I bought this to save my original album from further wear and tear and to play in the car but have had to bounce it onto a cd in order to take out the "new bits". If you're a fan of the original either don't bother with this OR be prepared to do what I've done.
on 12 July 2013
Just thought it was about time to revisit a fantastic album from many years ago. Tried to buy it in one of the last HMV stores (for old time sakes) in Manchester just before going to see the latest version of 'Whitesnake' at the M.E.N arena on May 23rd

Quality!

Time and again...
on 1 April 2013
Oh Sir David of Coverdale, do you ever go back and listen to this?
What do you mean no?
Is it because if you did you would realise just how you wee-weed your integrity up a wall?
This is classy slice of bluesy hard rock, showing off DCs voice rather than his hair. Oh if only he had lost his hair instead of his voice, we'd have missed the Hair Metal Whitesnake days and DC would have a back catalogue worthy of the name. OK so he wouldn't have had the big houses or flashy cars or sex kitaens, but he would have had pride and honour.
on 20 October 2012
I had hoped that they would clean up some of the production on the two first two Coverdale albums, but unfortunately they haven't. I really like both of them, but I have wasted my money buying these so-called remasters. There's still a lot of hiss on the quiet parts - ESPECIALLY one of my favourite songs, which is 'Time and Again' - The level of hiss on this is unacceptable. Even in my home studio I can do better than this.
If you already have this album on CD then don't buy this because it's no better than what you have AT ALL. If you don't already have this album, but like bluesy Coverdale - not hard rock Coverdale - then buy it. One of my most favouritist love songs - Time and Again - pity it's still so hissy. I guess I'll have to rerecord it myself, but I am going to really struggle to get anywhere near Coverdale's masterful rendition. Ah, the memories.
Released fairly quickly after WHITESNAKE(1977) this is a far more concise album,a further blueprint for future 'Snake albums.From the Purple like rock of 'Keep On Giving Me Love' & 'Breakdown' to the excellent 'Queen Of Hearts' a pointer to whitesnake thru the excellent Purple IV outake 'Say You Love Me',Coverdales natural rock inclinations take hold.

However you cannot ignore the stunning title track and the haunting ballad 'Time And Again',the joyous good time of 'Give Me Kindness' which Ronnie James Dio sings backing vocals and finally my favourite Coverdale tune ever,the magnificent 'Only My Soul' a lost gem.I personally dont believe that Coverdale has ever sung better.After this disc the band shed their skin and became whitesnake.

The remaster has an excellent sound,again enhancing the 70's production style and two bonus cuts 'Shame The Devil' and 'Sweet Mistreater' both are pretty good .possibly more suited to the first solo album rather than this.all round an excellent release.
VINE VOICEon 11 November 2006
David Coverdale's second album saw the singer probing several different styles without veering too far from the rock he's best known for. He didn't establish a settled band until Whitesnake's 'Love Hunter' and guitarist Micky Moody is the only other member of that band featured here. There's no shortage of class on show, but the material, while generally above average, is lacking in big hitters.

'Northwinds' tends to improve as it progresses. The reserved title track grows on you, but, other than this, tracks 5-8 are the highlights. When Coverdale isn't singing about having a high old time, he's quite soulful and the latter is his attitude on this album. Both of the bonus tracks are creditable, even if 'Sweet Mistreater' sounds a bit incongruous. A good album, but no classic.