Format: Audio CDChange

on 14 October 2009
I have known this album since ownning the vinyl from when it came out. I now have this CD and it still gives me the same thrill on every listen. I bought it originally not knowing what they were like, but as i was into Krautrock I guessed it would be good, and boy was I was right, although more jazzy than the normal Can and Amon Duul 2 stuff I knew..
The musicianship is top notch and i love the instrumental tunes. The first thing that impressed me was the bass playing of Helmut Hattler, the wonderful Rickenbacker sound (think Chris Squire) comes flying out the speakers and he is really stand out on on Holiday am Matterhorn and Nam Nam. The nice thing with the CD release is that the music segues together without having to turn over the vinyl sides (although the black vinyl sound better still)
This is the place to start as the studio albums are not so up front to my ears, but then I am a sucker for live albums where bands can prove their worth on stage.
on 24 January 2013
great album definitly the one to get. pisses all over the studio albums. conny plank production . huge bass lines / bass sound. awesome drums / guitar in actual fact rhythm wise they just nail it completely. not krautrock.... but very rhythmic jazzy rocky unique sounding really. 1 star knocked off for the typical naff vocals always the case with german bands however these are few and far between so no matter.... top notch.
on 24 September 2014
I agree with the other two reviewers that this is an amazing album. I remembering going up to HMV in Oxford street to check out the German imports with my mates and we came across this album (this was in the mid 70's) After asking the chap behind the desk to let me hear a couple of tracks (remember when they used to do that back in the day!!) . Immediately i was hooked, and have been ever since and i've even progressed onto TAB TWO (Helmut Hatler's current jazz infused music Trumpet & Bass) I love everything about Kraan.On this Kraan Live album from the opening track "Jerk of Life" through to "Holiday am Marterhorn" and finishing with "Kraan Arabia" this album still after all this time (almost 40 years) gives me goose bumps. Give it a listen, you won't be disappointed.