This unit allows your Garmin to be firmly fixed to your bike.

As far as the memory card eTrex devices goes, I do have a memory card device and, yes, it does work. The ony proviso is that the back supplied with kit will not fit your device, but when you bought the GPS in the first place, there will have been a screw in bracket included.

Basic comment if you have a memory eTrex is: if you still have the mount that came with your GPS, this will work; if you don't, then it will not work.

POSTSCRIPT
==========

If you have lost the clips that came with your eTrex unit, the part number for a replacement is 145-00709-00. Mine has just broken and I'm trying to find a replacement. I'll 'phone Garmin when they're open and see if they can help me.

POST-POSTSCRIPT
===============

Well, excellent customer service from Garmin. I telephoned them and, after a few menu selections to get to the right department, I spoke to one of their support people. He said, "the bad news is that it isn't an accessory listed for you to buy. The good news is, since you can't buy it, I'll drop one in the post today free of charge".

I couldn't have asked for better service from Garmin.

It's dealings like that which make me think that, when I do eventually replace the unit, I'll probably buy another Garmin...
on 18 March 2006
This handlebar mount is well made out of tough plastic.The etrex fits tightly within the clip,and has to be "positively" unclipped to be removed .I have bounced my mountain bike all over the place and it still sits tight. worth having 5 out of 5
on 30 November 2009
This is currently the ONLY product available if you want to attach a Garmin eTrex hand-held GPS to your bike handlebars. Believe me, I've tried everywhere.
There is no alternative maker of this 'clip-on' design, and no 'universal' GPS mount that fits the eTrex because of the location of the control buttons on both sides of the unit. This one provides a good secure and firm fit to bike handlebars.
BUT BEWARE!
It will not fit to anything except the handlebars if you want to read the GPS while moving. (i.e it cannot be fitted to the crossbar or forward-extended handlebar stem) as the GPS will be at 90 degrees to whatever bar or rail it is mounted on, and cannot be turned on the mount.
IMPORTANT - if your handlebars are over 25mm diameter (like many new mountain bikes) you will need to ADDITIONALLY purchase the Large Diameter Garmin Rail Mount Adaptor. There's no choice in the matter as the large diameter adaptor DOES NOT INCLUDE the replacement (adapted) battery cover panel for the eTrex. If you need the large diameter adaptor as well, check out my review on it as you may need to know about a few problems with mine.
As usual, very prompt and efficient delivery, in a letterbox sized envelope, so no waiting about for a knock on the door.
Good value, and currently a very good discount off the RRP.
on 4 June 2012
I'm just writting this review to inform anyone who is thinking of buying this bracket for any of the newer eTrex models ie eTrex10,20,30 that this dosen't fit.
on 26 June 2007
This does work with memory card models.

See this faq on the garmin site

[...]

The memory card gps units are supplied with a battery cover with a threaded hole. They are also supplied with a clip that can be attached to the battery cover via the threaded hole.

Once you screw the clip onto the battery cover you have the equivalent of the battery cover with integrated clip supplied with the handlebar mount.
on 15 January 2007
I agree with the previous reviewer that the quality of the mount is very good. BUT beware, I got caught out - This clip only fits non-memory card eTrex series. If you have one of the newer x series with the expansion memory module the back plate will not fit the gps, rendering it useless.
on 28 March 2009
It is such a same that Garmin spoils its great core products with a confusing range of accessories!

In short:

- This handlebar mount only fits certain types of handlebars. You should be ok with mountain bike handlebars, and the old type of road handlebars. However, this bracket will not fit the more up to date 'Oversize' road handlebars. If you have these, then you will need the oversized rail adaptor (though see my review of this)

- The supplied battery cover that comes with this product does not fit all GPS units. Indeed the cover I received, would not fit my etrex Legend, as it would not go over the SD card. Most units I understand come with everything you need. On my etrex Legend HCX, there is a small supplied plastic tab supplied for the unit, which is all you need to fit this bracket.

Once you get all this sorted out, the bracket is a reasonable product, though expernsive for what it is.
on 3 April 2009
I wish I'd read all of these reviews first, however hindsight is a wonderful thing......

I bought an Etrex Legend HCx and this mount kit from Amazon, however this review may well apply to other models in the Etrex range. Please be aware that the replacement battery cover that comes as part of this product is useless if you have an Etrex Legend HCx. The position of the SD card slot on the Etrex Legend HCx body means that this backplate will not fit.

The Etrex Legend HCx is supplied with an "auxillary mount adapter" that screws to the standard battery cover and allows the GPS to be mounted on the mount supplied in this item (thanks Garmin support!). Please also note that the mount supplied appears to be Garmins Large diameter diameter rail mount adaptor (25-32mm), so buy that instead of this items and save yourself £4 approx.

Fit between the auxillary mount adapter and the mount is a bit loose and I can see having to pack it with some tape!
33 comments|36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 February 2012
Name is ambiguous. This is NOT a mount for all models of eTrex. The backplate does not fit the eTrex 20.
on 8 September 2007
This is a solid bracket, and easy to slide the GPS in and out.
I've using it with a Garmin eTrex Vista HCX, which came with it's own back and clip, so I only needed this for the handlebar bit, rather than the back that's included.

Found that I needed to make sure my GPS was mounted level, rather than tilted, to make sure that it always knew which direction I was going in.