Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 23 August 2004
The short story pop song has proved to be the foundation of an amazing career for Holmes, who has gone on to become an award-winning Broadway show writer and recently turned his hand to crime fiction. Each song is well conceived and arranged, and although very much of an era, there are some superb tracks here. 'The people that you never get to love', 'Him' and the later 'Morning Man' etc. Great melodies and arrangements, and clever lyrics. Having stumbled on Holmes around '79, I'm glad I looked beyond the 'Pina Colada song'. The only pity is the omission of some of the equally strong songs off his concept album 'Full Circle', which are excluded as a result of contractual issues i would guess? Nothwithstanding, at this price this album is great value for money. Get it.
on 14 June 2002
I bought the Rupert Holmes CD on the power of liking two songs, 'Him' and 'Escape' and I was quite literally blown away. Stunning lyrics, music and if you've ever had the chance to see Rupert 'live' on television then you'll know how special he is, and how he 'rocks' his fans. Amazing cd and well worth the purchase, even if you were like me and didn't know his wide range of vocal talents!
Like the reviewer above I hope another greatest hits is in the pipeline. Simply amazing.
on 21 May 2004
I only knew two Rupert Holmes songs from the time I was a child: "Him" and "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)". So most of the songs on the album were completely new to me. Well, the album was a complete surprise. I love it from the first to the last track. I love the melodies, the lyrics and the arrangements.
I'd recommend this album to everybody. Well worth buying!
on 20 February 2015
Greatest Hits" by Rupert Holmes is a good album containing some of his singles like "Escape","Him","Answering Machine" and "I Don't Need You" but there are a number of singles missing here.The Rupert Holmes Album "Escape - The Best Of" contains a better selection of his singles.
on 10 June 2001
After quite a few years searching for an undamaged copy of the track 'Him' I was pleased to discover it on this album. Along with other favourites like 'Escape' and 'Widescreen' (the latter was also recorded by Barbra Streisand, who is also a great fan of Holmes), the CD refreshed my memory of the early eighties and I'm sure that somewhere on this album, there is a song that you've heard before but 'just couldn't place where and by whom'. It's a collection of Rupert Holmes' music at its best - I look forward to a second 'Greatest Hits' soon.
on 3 March 2014
As others have said we only really knew Rupert Holmes from his two well known hits ,but this cd shows what a brilliant writer he is ,with lots more to enjoy ,just
Iisten to the track Terminal ,a Robbie Williams type song ,great lyrics ,and superb catch melody ,great purchase highly recommended CD.
on 1 October 2015
My first introduction to Rupert Holmes was with an LP. He has a great voice with amazing lyrics. I still haven't found an album with ' The O'Brian Girl ' on it.
on 29 August 2013
Great song, which sound familiar.
Bought it mainly for The Escape Song (pina Colada) as in the film Grown Ups.
Very easy listening.
on 28 July 2009
Just for this song this cd is worth buying. The rest of it is very nice too
on 5 September 2014
bought this for pina Colada (Escape) song and 'Him' and discovered a lot of very good music along side. as well