5.0 out of 5 stars Sad but true - I love this film
Loved this film when I was a kid, and now that I've kids of my own - I still love it !

Telling the story of Flash Gordon's trip to Mongo to try and rescue Earth for the wicked designs of Ming the Merciless : Ruler of the Universe.

Published on 11 April 2007 by Douglas Traill

3.0 out of 5 stars Saviour of the Universe
The film itself gets 5 stars from me everytime. But alas, the transfer is simply not worth it and the U.S. release is far superior in quality.

Published on 7 Sep 2010 by Beard Moen

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad but true - I love this film, 11 April 2007
Douglas Traill (Edinburgh, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

This film is over the top in all departments : from Brian Blessed's brilliantly loud Vultan, through the cheesy sets and effects, to the wonderfully outlandish costumes.

While not Academy Award material, it is a fun film, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Not a big fan of extras and commentaries on DVD's - normally I'll go for a standard edition over a 'Special' edition every time, but not this time. Brian Blessed's commentary is fantastic. He is so passionate and enthusiastic - must be listened to.

Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true classic! With a Queen soundtrack!!, 3 Oct 2005
By A Customer
You can say what you like about Flash Gordon. You can say it's a camp, over-saturated cheeseball of a movie that rips spectacularly badly from the original Star Wars (even though Star Wars is partly based on the old Flash Gordon serials of the '40s). You can say that Sam Jones couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. But there's no denying how brilliant it is for these reasons!
And what about the unforgettable performances from Brian "Gordon's alive!!" Blessed and Max Von Sydow camping it up big time as Ming the Merciless, not to mention great turns by Topol as Dr. Zarkov and Timothy Dalton as 'that smarmy prince guy'.
But there is one thing that really steals this movie, and that's the soundtrack by Queen! 'Flash! Aaaaah! Saviour of the universe!'. This is a movie that everyone must see in their life at some point.

5.0 out of 5 stars genius, 5 Feb 2002
By A Customer
need i say any more. whoever thought of having a planet called mongo taken over by a bloke called ming, and involving brian blessed as a birdman, and someone called clitus, should be given 10 oscars right now.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a movie!, 14 Jan 2004
This review is from: Flash Gordon [DVD] (DVD)
What can you say? Max von Sydow having a blast; Sam 'J' Jones looking so wooden he should be varnished and sponsored by Ronseal; Ornella Muti in the most fantastically figure-hugging spandex, Peter Wyngarde in high camp mode as General Klytus. And then there's Brian Blessed, immortalised forever with acting so over the top that he STILL hasn't landed, twenty-seven years later.

These things alone should make this film a cult classic, but then add the wonderful, art-deco visuals to complete the B-movie look and a Queen soundtrack to die for and you have something peerless and just so much fun.

They don't make films like this now, more's the pity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Camp, cheesy, over-the-top brilliance, 3 Jun 2003
This review is from: Flash Gordon [DVD] (DVD)
Gordon's Alive. Of course he is, and Brian Blessed's wearing a nappy and cardboard wings so you'd better take him seriously. Timothy Dalton looks embarrassed to be there, and Flash and Dale are so wooden you could put nails in them. But so what. The music's ace, Ming's really rotten, his daughter's really fit, and Peter Duncan out of Blue Peter gets killed by a tree beast.
Flash, Flash, we love you, but we only have fourteen hours to save the Earth. Buy it. You'll love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tell me more about this man Houdini, 13 Oct 2005
I already had this on DVD but purchased the special edition for the extras. The Brian Blessed commentary is as you would expect,OTT and full of love and enthusiasm for this classic movie. The best for me though is the director Mike Hodge's commentary as he hardly pauses for breath the whole movie and talks us through each scene and tells us how it was done etc etc etc. As for the movie itself it really works thanks to the primitive special effects and gaudy set design. As a hero Flash doesnt really do much and Timothy Dalton (very good here) probably knocks off more bad guys than our eponymous lead, but with excellent support from Blessed and co. it doesnt matter too much. Max von Sydow is an excellent Ming although for me he isnt in enough scenes and my personal favourite is when the evil one offers our hero a kingdom, its a scene ripped straight from the comic books. The picture quality is much the same as the original dvd but the sound has really been overhauled and Queens blazing tracks over the final few reels of film have sounded better. An excellent dvd and probably the best package of this film released since it appeared in 1980.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Family Entertainment, 20 April 2009
C. Byron (Cleveland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flash Gordon [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this item for my 6 year old son as I remember enjoying it from my childhood. He loves it! The acting is cheesy but the one liners are funny which makes it enjoyable for young and old. A good all round family movie especially those who loves the superhero type.

3.0 out of 5 stars Saviour of the Universe, 7 Sep 2010
Beard Moen (Cleveland, Ohio) - See all my reviews

I purchased the Steelbook so that I would have the nice container to display in my film collection, I also have the previous DVD Steelbook release that contains the joyous commentary by Brian Blessed which is absent from both the U.S. and U.K. Blu Ray. The extras were skimpy on both Blu Ray versions but the U.S. transfer is far superior in detail and grain.

Buy the U.K. Steelbook for the case, but purchase the U.S. Universal release for the quality presentation.
The Queen CD that came with the U.K. Steelbook was nice, but I already own it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, cheesy, sci-fi fun, 16 May 2003
Darren Harrison "DVD collector and reviewer" (Washington D.C.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Flash Gordon [DVD] (DVD)
I remember seeing this movie at the theater. It was the depth of winter and the heating in the theater had broken down. Yet, to a wide-eyed 9 year old it didn't matter, because I was bundled up in a thick jacket having the time of my life watching this version of the Flash Gordon adventure. It was only three years after the original Star Wars movie and studios around the world were raiding their vaults for science fiction properties that had been gathering dust (Star Trek, Buck Rogers to name just a few). Unlike its competitors this movie chose not to compete directly with the high octance special effects of Star Wars and instead tried to recapture the feeling and atmosphere of the original series. This decision gives the film a campy charm, with the distinct impression that everyone is having a great time. Years later I got to meet Brian Blessed (who plays a Hawkman in this movie) and my suspicion was confirmed. Don't miss this one, it belongs in the DVD library of everyone who still has a little bit of a kid in them.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Gordon's Alive?!", And Looks and Sounds Better Than Ever!, 9 Mar 2006
There is no question that this movie is total cheese. Having said that, I'll explain now why I love it so much!
"Flash" was released when I was an innocent 10 year-old (innocent 10 year-olds are actually getting less and less common), and I never missed a sci-fi/adventure flick at the local small town, one cinema theatre. "Flash Gordon" was different from then contemporary space adventures. It was colourful, uptempo (alot of this had to do with Queen's great score), inventive, and rather goofy. It looked like a live-action cartoon! I know I saw this film at least half a dozen times during it's release, and then as often as possible when it aired on HBO.
The DVD quality is better than I would've expected, and the somewhat lively audio track caused my home theatre to thump to Queen's "Flash...AAHHH!" theme. The special effects still don't reflect the reported $35 million (hefty for the time) budget, but it just doesn't matter. I ordered from Amazon.co.uk because the only version available in the U.S. is an out of print copy selling for over fifty dollars! I got the Silver Anniversary Edition from the UK for under $18 (shipping included), and less than a week after ordering! Great job, Amazon!
Okay, so I didn't really explain why I love this film to this day. Maybe it's just for Ornella Muti... But it holds a special place in my heart, along with other films from the time like "Superman II","Raiders of the Lost Ark", and "Empire Strikes Back". As a matter of fact, I believe it's inspired modern film, to some degree. With it's rich colours and cinematography, I would call it a visual feast - maybe a "Fifth Element" for it's time.

Flash Gordon [VHS]
Flash Gordon [VHS] by Mike Hodges (VHS Tape - 2000)
14.95