on 11 September 2000
This is a VERY VERY limited introduction to afrikaans! If you do want to learn the language this is NOT the CD for you, I completed most of the CD in an hour - which may leave you feeling a little short changed! Also there are these very annoying and VERY poorly produced people to 'guide you through' - which means they either say 'ja' rather like a sheep - or shake their heads. A pity the producers of this didnt actually get these models to say the words as it is useful to watch someone say the word you are learning - instead of some shoddy dubbing - which leaves you clueless! If I were you I'd buy the other - but then I havent tried that one yet!
on 24 November 2010
The selection of resources available to someone wanting to learn Afrikaans is very limited, and not only that, but i have often found boring. Talk Now is definitely not that! It is interactive and engaging and made me excited to want to learn more. The content is, as the previous reviewer said, limited, however it is advertised as being suitable for absolute Beginners and so to expect more is unfair. I would say that my understanding of Afrikaans is intermediate, but this cd-rom helped show me how much I did know, helped me practice my pronunciation and gave me the confidence to practice speaking more afrikaans to others, and the enthusiasm to step my learning up a gear. I would recommend this cd-rom to anyone wanting to get a better grasp of the language, but also have some fun doing it.