5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest album of all time!
Published on 3 Nov 2002 by Mr. P. D. Adair

3.0 out of 5 stars My first album
Although I find some of the lyrics cringeworthy and a bit teenage angst for my liking, I loved this as a 13 year old when it came out. So much so, that this was the first LP I ever bought - from Woolies, no less.

Published on 14 Mar 2010 by Radio Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest album of all time!, 3 Nov 2002
Mr. P. D. Adair (Oban, Argyll Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Script For A Jester's Tear (Audio CD)
So here I am once more.........The almost whispered opening lyric is the start of an intense, demanding, emotional but ultimately incredibly rewarding musical journey. Soon the lyric is repeated but by this time it is surrounded by whirling keyboards and soaring guitar. This is Marillion. This is "Script for a Jester`s Tear". This is in my humble opinion the greatest album of all time.
This is a very difficult claim to substantiate. Marillion are not only derided by mainstream pop/rock fans and critics but also sadly by many progressive rock fans. All I can say is listen to the music.
The title track begins the album and lead singer Fish, in the guise of the tragic jester, opens his heart. "He knows you know" follows portraying the angst of a drug addict, before we reach "The Web", another anguished love song of the jester. "Garden Party" I feel is the one musical weak point on the album, but Fish`s lyrics compensate as he humourously and scathingly derides pretentiousness and snobbery. So far so great. But the best is still to come. "Chelsea Monday" is the story of an aspiring actress who comits suicide to gain that elusive headline. Twenty years on it still moves me with its pure raw emotion. Before your senses can recover we are into "Forgotten Sons", written about soldiers killed in N. Ireland but relevant to any young lives wasted in war.Fish`s lyrics are caustic and emotive all at once, with the closing section providing a suitable finale to an incredible album.
Marillion made three more albums with Fish which fulfilled the promise of this debut before sadly parting company. Since then both parties have continued to make excellent music without quite reproducing the magic they had together.
Do yourself a favour, buy this album and listen to it with an open mind. You will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Class, 25 Sep 2005
Mr. J. Winney - See all my reviews
This review is from: Script For A Jester's Tear (Audio CD)
I'm only typing this because someone who liked it in the 80s decided it was tripe now they have jumped middle age to some dull zone caused by (a) too much work or (b) something worse. I liked this in the 80s. I put it in the car a couple of weeks ago and haven't been able to take it out because its just fantastic. If what you want is rock music that is clever and multi-dimensional buy/listen to this. Probably the best thing they did, but that's subjective. Its never one star, and I would put it at the top 5 star group.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make your own mind up - don't quote somebody else's opinion., 21 Feb 2012
For many years I have to laugh at the too often repeated phrase "But this sounds like Genesis". Maybe it does a little, but then many bands sound similar to others because they have been inspired by them, but the main issue is that by the early 80s Genesis didn't sound like Genesis any more, and there were plenty of people around who liked music that sounded similar to Genesis, so what's the problem?

We then have the next group of moaners. "Bloated pretentious prog","prog died in 1977", "self indulgent music and lyrics". Too many people listen to too many culture-deprived radio presenters and self proclaimed music experts. People should form their own opinion and not follow the crowd or be a slave to fashion.

Whether you like this or not, the music is well written and well played. The lyrics are challenging and maybe are a little beyond the comprehension of many people, but then so is the work of most of the most famous poets of the past. It is not a collection of 3 minute jolly catchy songs, loved in an instant and despised an instant later when the next 3 minute song comes along.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Debut, 13 Jan 2005
Not just the best album of 1983 the best album of the 80's. Ok so Marillion do sound like early Genesis (no bad thing) but they did have their own style too. Its worth getting the remastered/bonus version as these songs aren't just fillers.
My son who is into metal recently heard Garden Party - then wanted to hear the whole album and loved it - surely a testiment to its longivety. Fugazi is also worth a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another of the top five rock albums of all time., 26 Dec 2000
Mr. P. D. Fisher (Skegness, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Script For A Jester's Tear (Audio CD)
Forget Kayleigh. Forget Hooks in You. Forget Beautiful.This is where it began. This is what really matters. Yes there are only six songs but what matters is quality and this album is oozing with it. This is Derek Dick at his near best (apart from The Company). This album is so good I've told them to play it when I die!!! The title track contains (along with THE WEB) the ultimate juxtapostion - remember the jester who showed you tears - think about it... Think little pinkie in the air - think GARDEN PARTY. Hate the situation in N.Ireland then listen to FORGOTTEN SONS and think I wish that I had written that. Like warm guitar solos - listen to CHELSEA MONDAY. A friend once walked in during the intro to HE KNOWS YOU KNOW and said "Samaritans?" Listen to it and appreciate the humour. I cannot praise this album highly enough so buy it - live it - love it!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars English/Scottish Rock at its finest, 29 Dec 2001
This review is from: Script For A Jester's Tear (Audio CD)
No bull, this record changed my life back in 1983!I was heavily into the loudest of Rock & I couldn't even contemplate "wussy" 6th Form Rock, then I saw Forgotten Sons performed on 'The Old Grey Whistle Test'.When Fish used the mic stand as a machine gun - I was a fan!
When I subsequently bought the album (yes the vinyl!!) I found a 6-track journey into pure Rock & imagery. Lyrically Mr Dick is a genius & with the musical quality of everyone in the band this is a seriously great album.
I challenge you to find a weakness on this LP (& to think the band got even better!! ).
Fave track for me without doubt is "Script" but each track is a gem & has its own personality.
Love it like the old friend that it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good but..., 3 July 2009
This review is from: Script For A Jester's Tear (Audio CD)
Just a quick note to say that although this is a great album for the sake of a couple of pounds more it has to be worth getting the remastered version with Market Square Heroes and other added on - the only studio versions I think (otherwise it's live recordings or the vinyl single which started it all).

5.0 out of 5 stars An Oddball Of The 80`, 4 July 2007
You have to remember the context of this album.......It`s the early 80`s music is going through or has gone through changes. The short lived Punk era had given way to the "New Wave" type bands who proliferated the charts along side the new type of Dance bands who lead into the "New Romantics" phase. Rock/Metal bands had all aboundend the long over blown 25 minute epics in favour of the shorter more punchier numbers & we`d seen "NWOBHM" hit the streets. This in turn lead to the new American Metal scene which was being given huge amounts of exposuer in the British rock press with British bands unable to gain any publicity at all. If a band had any type of image it invariably revolved around black leather & studs with lots of fake blood etc. Anybody here remember W.A.S.P & there ilk ? Then something strange happend. Across the UK bands started springing up who were trying to put on shows which didn`t revolve around lots of blood & guts or black leather etc. Bands who started writing lyrics that actually ment something, & based around music that was capable of lasting beyond 4 minutes. The prog revival was on & at the head of them all came Marillion. The bands impact & reputation spread fast amongst the Rock crowd, they are the only band to have sold out the Marquee without actually having a record contract. EMI realised the band had something that even the American biased Rock press was responding too & signed the band up. The band released the brilliant " Market Square Heroes" as there 1st single. It charted. The 12inch also had the great " 3 Boats Down From The Candy" & the 17 minute epic that was "Grendal" on it all available here. This in turn was followed up with "He Knows You Know" & the catchy wordy "Charting The Single" again all available here in this package. The band announced a major UK tour. Venues such as the Hammersmith Odean & there like which sold out within days, all this without having an album release, again Marillion are the only band to ever have done this. As for the album itself......

A classic blend of modern style prog Rock yes there are early Genesis type overtones to it. Yes Steve Rothery`s guitar playing is remeniscent of Pink Floyds Dave Gilmour & yes Mark Kellys keyboards do have touch`s of Rick Wakeman to them but the band do still manage to sound like themselves for all of the obvious influences. What stood out at the time tho was the lyrics of frontman Fish. In a world of " I love you you love me under the moonlight" etc type banal pop lyrics or " 1234 were gonna rock you to the floor" style Rock lyrics Fish was a breath of fresh air. "Script For A Jesters Tear" "The Web" all dealing with the loss of love, breaking up having to come to turns with relationship breakdowns etc. "He Knows You Know" about drug addiction, "Garden Party" anti establishment & snobbery get it in the neck here. "Chelsea Monday" about an actress comiting suicide in order to get her name in the papers or "Forgotten Sons" about all those sons who die in wars. [ in this case Northern Ireland ]. All sung with a heart felt sincerity that was sadly lacking in practiculy all other types of music/bands of the time. The songs all have catchy moments in them which make them easy to listen to even now. Fish`s voice very Gabriel`ish in places allways has an urgency to it even crossing the line into anger & aggresion. Music that bobs & weaves its magical way through you allways listenable allways honest. An album that for me at least still holds up even today in a deeply sinacle world of celebrity`dom & faceless wanna`bes, this album still has those wafts of magic floating around it. An album that was in some respects a backwards glance, an acknowledgement of its past & were it came from but in a strange way was also looking forwards. An album that sticks out like a saw thumb in the glossy sounds of the 80`s if for no other reason than just being different from the rest. If your a Rock fan or somebody who likes good music then this is a must buy. A classic debut album by an up & coming band [ at the time of course ]Go buy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars My first album, 14 Mar 2010
This review is from: Script For A Jester's Tear (Audio CD)

I saw Marillion playing Garden Party on Top of the Pops, and I loved that this song stood out from everything else in the charts, in that for me this was fressh, inventive, humourous, melodic, and complex all at the same time. To differing degrees I'd say this is how I would sum up the whole album. This was the album and band that got me into prog in the first place, as no-one else seemed to like it at the time, and I had not even heard of the term 'progressive rock'at that time.

Musically, this album combines early genesis, camel, yes and (dare I say it) early simple minds (particlurly I'd say Pete Trewavas and Derek Forbes style of bass playing is very similar to my ears, and as a seasoned bass player myself). High points are Garden Party, Chelsea Monday and Forgotten Sons, the latter of which can still make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

I'm not so bothered about this album now, but this was the door that opened up a world of amazing, intelligent music that still inspires me as much now as it did then.

5.0 out of 5 stars The adventure begins in fine style...., 18 April 2000
By A Customer
What can I say? Marillion have had that special spark since day one and they've still got it. Here we have their debut album, the one that gave them their exposure and set then as the most original progressive artists of the eighties. They've moved on since (although most people don't realise it...), yet this album still remains one of their finest. The six tracks each have their own story, each one paints a picture, tears at the emotions and pricks the social conscience. Cry with the jester on 'Script for a Jester's Tear', feel the pain of the drug addict in 'He Knows You Know', know the destructive power of emotional clinginess in 'The Web', laugh at the upper classes on 'Garden Party', feel pity for the suicidal wannabe actress in 'Chelsea Monday', or let the chills run down your spine as you find yourself in the warzones of Northern Ireland on 'Forgotten Sons'. Powerful imagery and virtuoso musical performances abound on this album. If you've never heard it then go out and buy it! Now!

ARRAY(0xa9896fa4)

Script For A Jester's Tear
Script For A Jester's Tear by Marillion (Audio CD - 2000)