Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Shop now Shop now Listen in Prime

Format: Audio CD|Change

Many compilations are titled best of or very best of, but this one really is. Most of the collection is made up of Peggy's recordings for Capitol, but EMI (who own Capitol) got permission from other companies to include Black coffee, He's a tramp and Siamese cat song - the most important recordings of those she didn't record for Capitol.

The rest of the collection includes all the essentials including Fever, the novelty song Manana and The folks who live on the hill. I find Peggy's version of Big spender much more appealing than Shirley Bassey's more aggressive version of the song.
This collection demonstrates Peggy's versatility -upbeat swinging songs, slow, sexy songs, Disney songs, Latin-flavored songs and so much more. Of course, it is not possible to do full justice to Peggy's vast legacy in a single CD, but for anybody new to Peggy's music, this is the best one to buy - it's easily the strongest compilation I've come across. Actually, I already had a lot of Peggy's music when I bought this, but it's nice to be able to have so many great songs together, especially as I didn't have the two Disney tracks.

So, whether you are new to her music or (like me) a committed fan, this is sure to provide you with plenty of entertainment.
44 comments|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 July 2015
This CD is aptly named. It is undeniably the "very best of" although I have to add that in my totally biased opinion almost everything Peggy Lee recorded qualifies for that description. I particularly enjoyed "The folks who live on the hill" as it's one of my all-time favourite songs and her version (with Sinatra "conducting" Nelson Riddle's top notch arrangement) is way above anyone else's. But then, Mel Tormé's is pretty good too. This digital remix, although done in 2000, brings the lyrics very much more to the fore. One moan: the printing in the booklet is miniscule. Perhaps an optional magnifying glass could have been on offer! Just a joke.
on 19 November 2013
This really IS the best single-disc Peggy Lee collection. Not only does this disc represent Peggy Lee's best work from both the Capitol and Decca years--which you won't find on any of her other one-disc anthologies--but it also favors Lee's most timeless and enduring work as opposed to the novelty hits.
on 15 April 2013
I had been looking for a Peggy Lee CD that had all my favourite songs on, this one did, and such good value too. Worth it for my favourites alone ( Fever/He's a tramp/The folks who live on the hill) but there are many many more lovely songs too, I love this CD.
on 6 January 2014
The cd was delivered within days and good value for money. Fantastic music from Peggy and especially love The folks who live on the hill. I grew up with her music and it brings back fond memories.
on 11 April 2013
Bought by my blind friend again who is always playing music and was very pleased with The Very Best of Peggy Lee which she played on her organ to other disabled people alongside the CD.
on 22 October 2013
Really cheap with every song on my Dad mentioned he loved , this is a birthday present which I know he will be pleased with , brand new & fast delivery , I recommend this seller .
on 19 August 2014
The song I wanted was not on there !
on 31 May 2013
Lovely stuff. Old vinyl recording transferred perfectly into digital. You have to be of a certain age or a jazz fan to appreciate this. Enjoy..
on 30 November 2013
All the great old numbers of this lovely lady, well worth the money, also goes onto the cloud to play on your Tablet or Computer