5.0 out of 5 stars Original and Brilliant!
Published on 16 July 2005 by Clumsey

3.0 out of 5 stars The case had a crack in it
I brought this album to replace my well used scratched copy. Plays fine and sounds good but the case was cracked. A little disappointed but it did arrive quickly.
Published 17 months ago by Miss J Chandler

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and Brilliant!, 16 July 2005
This review is from: Who is Jill Scott? (Audio CD)
I was introduced the music of Jill Scott when I first met my beloved, it was one of the (only) C.D.'s they had that I wanted to play time and time again. After that..... an obsession was born! This album is perfect. Musings on the positive, negative and just plain ironic aspects of life and love from a real poet, and boy, she can sing too!. Included here are songs that would (and did) make excellent singles, mixed with bizarre but everso soulful moments of inspiration. This is not a short C.D., there are many songs, but the product stays fresh right to the very end. Buy this!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Who Is Jill Scott? Words & Sounds Vol.1, 11 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Who is Jill Scott? (Audio CD)
In a year where Neo-Soul was becoming increasingly popular, with favourites Erykah Badu and D'Angelo making impressive comebacks, newcomers Macy Gray, Lucy Pearl and Angie Stone making waves with their fresh sounds, Philadelphia native Jill Scott stood out with her unique sound. "Who Is Jill Scott? Words & Sounds Vol.1," the complete title of Scott's debut, is one of the best albums of the new millennium. Released summer 2000, "Who Is..." was a gradual seller. The album peaked at only #17 in the USA, but went on to shift 2 million copies. The biggest single from the album, 'A Long Walk' was a hit a year later.
Scott's music is pure & genuine soul music. Scott has a wonderful technique of mixing subtle spoken word with breathtaking vocals over sweet instrumentation. Scott was a poet before embarking on a music career, and this is clearly evident on the songs of this remarkable debut - Scott's lyrics are perfection!
A personal favourite of mine is 'The Way' - this is Jill Scott at her most seductive, the music is heavenly and Scott's sensual vocals make this track a classic. Another highlight is the poetic 'A Long Walk' - a beautiful song, Scott's vocals astound me on this, she sings with so much passion. 'Gettin' in the Way' - the first single, is a song that oozes attitude but the music it alone enough to melt butter.
'Who Is Jill Scott?' is an essential album for soul lovers, but anyone can appreciate this record, Scott's spirit is so vivid on record, it is definitely something that must be heard. In 2001, Ms. Scott released "Experience 826+" an impressive live album of her best-selling debut album, along with a second disc of new material. In 2004, her sophomore album was finally released; the superb "Beautifully Human."

5.0 out of 5 stars In three words ... FA-BU-LOUS!!!, 30 Sept. 2001
This review is from: Who is Jill Scott? (Audio CD)
It's been years since I've purchased a cd and felt complete satisfation with that cd. For once I felt like I got my money's worth! If I had $ like that I would even venture to say I owe you for this soul soothing piece of artistry. I play "Who Is Jill Scott?" EVERY morning at work I START my day playing Jill Scott ... and the cd ends up playing for hours. I rock from "Jilltro" thru "Try", then I start over! Miss Scott did a marvelous job on this cd and to see her perform live is simply the icing on her wonderful cake! My, my, my, I know your mama is proud of you girl ... and for just cause! The first time I saw Jill Scott live was in the Miami Arena - June 2001. Chills ran up & down my spine as I witnessed the unity of at least 300 people standing on the floor (I was in the stands) swaying together -- all going in the same direction, singing along with Miss Scott, every lyric, every lick, every rif - which showed their allegence ... it was so beautiful. Everyone on one accord! Word! It took the crowd at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center - August 2001 some time to realize that it was ok to get with a sista, but they finally got there. Her backup singers are no joke either! They are so tight! Will there be vocal sheet music of her music (He Loves Me). She deserves EVERY award she's nominated for. I'm feeling you J-I-LL SCO-T-T-T-T-T-TTTT!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 12 Dec. 2004
This review is from: Who is Jill Scott? (Audio CD)
This has been my favourite album since its release. I love it, i cant get enough of it. I am actually buying my 4th or 5th copy today because i keep lending it to people who just dont want to give it back! It's fine by me tho because i think Jill is awesome and i love it when people appreciate her as much as i do.
I had the pleasure of seeing her at brixton academy and what a show, i was blown away, speechless, completely and totally absorbed for the duration of the show. I left feeling like i was walking on air.
Her latest release is great, i must say it's a bit of a grower. I think it was always going to be hard to match or live up to the first one but i must say the more i listen the more i love. This woman is "it" what more can i say?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable talent, 24 Mar. 2002
This review is from: Who is Jill Scott? (Audio CD)
I get home in the evening when it's dark and cold outside,I draw my curtains, light my candles, leave the TV OFF, I shower, put something comfortable on, have dinner, get a glass of red wine. Then I put Jill Scott's CD on and get ready for some knock out, mind blowing, conscious, positive, uplifting, spiritual and educational entertainment. Let me tell you that Jill Scott is all that and MORE. The sultry jazz lyrics, interspersed with a back drop of hip hop (AND I HATE HIP HOP) just leaves you weeping for more.
It is the type of music that you can listen to by yourself, with friends, with children, in the car or with someone special. It has something for everyone.
I cannot force you to go out and buy the c.d but if you don't you are seriously selling yourself short and depriving your ears of some truly magical music. Since reading about her in Essence magazine a few months ago I have not looked back.
Jill Scott - I salute you !!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Blowing: That's who Jill Scott is., 29 Jan. 2001
This review is from: Who is Jill Scott? (Audio CD)
Is it possible to create the perfect blend of the 20th century's styles of black music? Who is Jill Scott does just that. You have to be well versed on black music in the last century to fully understand this album. No one has pulled off jazz, hip-hop, r&b, go-go and soul music in one album this way. It has elements of Sade, Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers, The Roots, Me'Shell N'Dgeocelo and "Do You Remember" takes me back to my child hood when The Emotions sang, "Don't Ask My Neighbors". Damn, girlfriend got it all. Mos Def's inclusion on the hidden bonus-track was the lyrical icing on the already well-baked cake. Her voice has enough depth and range to be considered one of the best and her content and writing skills are poignant.
I love this album, I can't get enough after 3 months. Inspiration...comes from...listening to Jill Scott.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who is Jill Scott?, 11 April 2002
This review is from: Who is Jill Scott? (Audio CD)
Who is Jill Scott? This is the question i asked myself when hearing of this lady's talents. I had 14 pounds and i had the choice between going clubbing or buying this album. Thankfully i took the gamble and bought this album. You cannot describe this album, incredible, breathtaking just sounds to shallow. I have owned it for more than one year and you discover things about each song every time you listen to it. When i first heard the album i naturally took to the widely appreciated 'gettin in the way' and 'a long walk'. I now love 'the way' and 'love rain'. Thats what is so great about her album, you can appreciate it for the soulful tunes and her beautiful voice but once you hear it loads of times you begin to understand the lyrics and appreciate how amazing this ladys grasp of words is. You also have to give credit to the production team coz they have managed to encapture the tone of each song with stunning originality. To try and bottle talent like Ms. Scott's in a studio and put it on cd must be have been incredibly difficult but they have done brilliantly! I think to simply label this lady nu-soul, another erykah badu etc. is totally wrong. Her album blows everything else away! In some ways this is bad, since buying the album my expectance level has gone up so when i buy a new album im nearly always disappointed! If she blows you away when you hear this album (trust me she will), see her live, you will be totally stunned!! If you are a rnb/soul or any type of good music fan you have got to get this cd, if not you will not have been touched by if not the, one of the greatest artists today!! Be prepared!

4.0 out of 5 stars A quality offering, 6 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Who is Jill Scott? (Audio CD)
When my girlfried and I split up a few months ago I recorded a lot of her music she was planning to take with her. As I knew about Jill Scott from Roots albums, I knew it was worthwhile.
'Slowly Surely' is a quality track. The lyrics perfectly sum up a women walking away from a relationship - very apt.
I've since bought this album.
Despite the emotional attachment I have with this album, it's just a superbly crafted work well up there with Erykah Badu and Kelis.
Jill Scott. At least something good came from our break up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, quality and more quality..., 19 April 2005
This review is from: Who is Jill Scott? (Audio CD)
That's all I've come to expect from Jill Scott.. Quality. I first heard tracks from this album whilst spending time at my counsin's home in London. Whilst stuffing my face with food in the kitchen it wasn't long before my interest switched from what I was eating to what I was hearing. Wow! All I knew was I had to get this album. If I had to beg, steal or borrow it was gonna be mine. Resisting the urge to just pocket it then and there I waited til my return to B'ham and bought my own copy. A very good decision. That album has seen me through thick and thin. Especially when stressed or ticked off I make sure I 'Take a Long Walk' with Jill Scott. From the first to the last track you can't help but feel refreshed. That's, Quality!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best, 7 Jun. 2002
This review is from: Who is Jill Scott? (Audio CD)
I've had this album now for almost 2 years, and it's still one of the first albums to go in my CD player. Albums come and go, and I may pay them more attention for a couple of weeks, but this album is still consistently my favourite of all time, and I always come back to it. The woman is a goddess, and this album is proof of her miracles! It's a truly ageless album, and still sends cold shivers down my spine when I listen to it. I'm so thrilled to have found music that touches me like that.

Who is Jill Scott?
Who is Jill Scott? by Jill Scott (Audio CD - 2000)