4.0 out of 5 stars Sneaky....
This really is a sneaky album. One of those albums that you buy for someone else and end up listening to yourself. That's exactly what happened to me.
Published on 12 Dec 2000 by iwd@myrtos.fsnet.co.uk

3.0 out of 5 stars it is a pity that they "could only disappoint us."
For any one who has heard the song Legacy off the album "Six" will understand the genius of the band, at its heart it is a simple song but delivered with such power and gusto it blows you away every time. The reason I mention this is that unlike the EPIC Six, Little Kix is a simple album. Mansun can do simple and very effectively but some where along the line it...
Published on 10 Dec 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Sneaky...., 12 Dec 2000
This review is from: Little Kix (Audio CD)
As someone who loved "Attack of the Grey Lantern" but never really came to terms with the melting pot that is "Six", I can promise that "Little Kix" keeps the best aspects of each and is a surprisingly easy and well structured listen.
Paul Draper has for the first time opened up his personal life in direct terms and the results are his most arresting lyrics to date, free of the opaqueness and auto-suggestion that have made his words so inaccessible at times on past outings.
The music is widescreen, expansive and slightly 80's retro in feel, with big keyboards and the odd wailing guitar solo courtesy of Chad. The effect is in all honesty timeless pure pop, in the best sense of the word. Stand out tracks are "Until the Next Life" (the best song Mansun have ever done, bar none) and recent single "Electric Man" but to dwell on these alone would be to detract from what is a very complete album.
The critics who incessantly pan this band can't possibly be listening to the songs. It's a quality, well written, articulate and downright sneaky collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another day, another album from England's finest., 21 Aug 2000
This review is from: Little Kix (Audio CD)
To be honest, after reading NME's review of Little Kix, I was a little shocked and disheartened about the most looked-forward-to event of my summer. But then I remembered I was reading NME, and cheered up posthaste. Honestly, Little Kix lives up to the Mansun standard and beyond. While I was a bigger fan of Six than Attack (i know, i know, shut up), I must admit to thinking that this is possibly Mansun's greatest yet. While two of the songs don't quite measure up to the rest (specifically "Soundtrack 4 2 Lovers" and "We Are The Boys"), this is only due to the superior nature of the rest. I picked out my two least favorites simply because I find it impossible to choose a favorite song off this album, although "Butterfly (A New Beginning)" and "Until The Next Life" leap to mind whenever I think of the album in a vague, sprawling sense. In any case, don't listen to me blather on, just get it. Mansun seem to just get better and better as time goes by. Lads, if you're out there, keep it up. Some of us Americans are listening.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so disappointing Kix, 9 Oct 2000
Steven Moses - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Kix (Audio CD)
Mansun continue to produce thoughtful and intelligent music that has grown up from stripping vicars and Winnie the Pooh to the difficulties of real life and relationships. Not as groundbreaking as either 'Six' or 'Attack of the Grey Lantern' nevertheless Draper pens his finest song 'In the Next Life' here and The Police's producer Padgham gives Chester' finest a more MOR feel. Hammered by the press, Mansun produce some of the most uplifting music around and as an antedote to Radiohead et al this album will keep us warm through the coming winter months. Roll on The Academy, Manchester!

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Kix, 11 Mar 2007
M. Buckley "Legend" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Kix (Audio CD)
An excellet album, with some stand out songs: 'I Can Only Dissapoint U' & 'Electric Man'. The only fault with this album is that Mansun's lead singer & songwriter Paul Draper, wasn't allowed to be producer, unlike on their other three albums. This explains why the album isn't as good as it could have been. If you like this I recommend buying 'Kleptomania' their last album. With Paul back as producer, it has a more rockier sound & sharper lyrics. Also Good Luck to Paul with his solo work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something a little different from Mansun............., 20 Aug 2000
This review is from: Little Kix (Audio CD)
This is a great third album from mansun that varies considerably from the last two, 'attack of the gray lantern' and 'six' The first track 'Butterfly (a new beginning) comes across as the only cynical track and is followed by 10 tracks which show a more optimistic mansun. Draper's lyrics seem to have neither progressed nor regressed but just simply taken a turn in another direction. My highlights include 'soundtrack 4 2 lovers' an orchestra filled tune which benefits from Paul Drapers beautiful vocals. 'Electric man' is another highlight, it is a track which is once 'heard' never forgotten (fingers crossed this will be the next single) Overall I feel this album contains a more optimistic view, which is shown in it's epic ballads. 'Electric man' is just one example of a track which shows top 5 potential. I recommend this album to both mansun and non-mansun fans alike for easy listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul Draper and Mansun at there best, 2 Oct 2009
Brian H. White (Hampshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Kix (Audio CD)
I have rediscovered this CD. I had forgotten just how good it is. It is full of great melodies, great lyrics, and
great arrangements. What a waste that the band split up. I look forward to listening to Paul Drapers solo effort when it is released.

5.0 out of 5 stars THANK YOU DANIEL WARNICK!!!!!, 1 Mar 2001
This review is from: Little Kix (Audio CD)
I wasn't too impressed with 'Six', to tell you the truth, but I thought 'Attack...Lantern' was pretty good. Anyhow, I only heard a couple of their singles from this album and I thought that they were good enough for me to get the album. My friend bought the album for me, and I am hooked. The singles (especially 'Fool') are even better when put in the album's context, but what makes this album so impressive is the songs that fit inbetween the singles. I can definately listen to this album all the way through and over and over. USA fans: it's worth ordering, and amazon.co.uk is the best way to do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous!, 23 Jan 2001
This review is from: Little Kix [MINIDISC] (Mini-Disc)
With their third album, Mansun have definitely come of age. Their debut album was highly acclaimed, whilst the follow-up was universally panned. This time, like Goldilocks with the three bears - it's third time lucky!
The production is lush - a real eighties feel, and as it's Hugh Padgham at the controls - no surprise there.
The tracks range from the ethereal opener 'Butterfly', to the subtle groove of 'Love Is...', to the glam rock influenced 'We Are The Boys' and 'Goodbye'. There are no stand out tracks here - they're all brilliant - god only knows how the band chose which ones to release as singles!
The instrumentation is excellent and the string arrangements could have been Anne Dudley, for all their depth and feeling.
This was an album I awaited with some reserve - the previous one took a long time getting into - but this was far more immediate, and has remained firmly in my player ever since release.

4.0 out of 5 stars Touching and Chilling, 7 Dec 2000
This review is from: Little Kix (Audio CD)
Although this being my first Mansun album, I was a great fan of the single Legacy and had been undecided about whether to get one of their albums. Now I have I'm not dissappointed. Forget all the negative press they seem to get (misunderstood is probably a good adjective) this album is full of spine-tingling sounds (particually the guitar rifts on certain tracks) which are driven home by Paul's (sometimes worryingly high) vocals. Quite retrospective in their sounds (in some places sounding decidedly 80s) the variety offered in each song (decent length as well not these annoying 3 minute numbers) keeps interest when it may start to wane. Stand-out tracks (it is hard to place 1 or 2) could be the brilliantly catchy Fool or the single Electric Man. Not an excellent masterpiece but head-and-shoulders above all the pre-manufactured rubbish which the media-types ring on about...

5.0 out of 5 stars Twisted Magic, 1 Dec 2000
This review is from: Little Kix (Audio CD)
Mansun have really developed a voice of their own with this beguiling offering. They produce seductive and melodic soundscapes decorated by the beautiful and compelling voice of Paul Draper and yet they retain the edginess which has set them apart from many of their contemporaries.
There is not a bad track here and the best such as Electric Man and Song for two lovers have a sort of fascinating frisson which gives you the chill associated with all great pop records.
I hope that Paul Drapers sublime voice and intriguing lyrics are with us for some time to come. Money well spent amongst the manufactured dross which is so common these days....

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Little Kix
Little Kix by Mansun (Audio CD - 2000)