5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter initiates this CD
At first I didn't plan to buy this CD, I also bought another in the DK catalogue (Learning Ladder, Year 5) for my 8 year old, on advertisement from a local parent magazine (Hong Kong), and also reading the rave reviews in Amazon.
Published on 11 Aug 2003 by r10623

1.0 out of 5 stars Lost interest very quickly
Published on 27 May 2005 by G. Horsham

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter initiates this CD, 11 Aug 2003
r10623 "r10623" (Hong Kong, China) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Love Maths! (CD-ROM)
My daughter (going to Year 4) definitely prefers this CD -- in the past, she used to be afraid (hate?) Maths, but now she wants to "play" this CD on her initiatives!!! Talk about learning through fun!
She didn't mind the talking dog, and I believe she liked the Egypt scenario the best. She also likes Aztec (shapes), but was at first flabergasted by Atlantis (all those fractions!) and Greece. But help was close at hand via clues (she didn't even need me watching over her shoulder) and she manage alright.
She was only a bit frustrated with the bonus questions (the timer ticking down made her nervous), and she found the "Number Crunching" game too fast, even though we put the animation setting to slowest.
At the end, she was awarded with prizes, could even print out her own certificate, and was tickled pink.
I found the talking a bit verbose, but she seemed to enjoy the story telling style of the package.
There are options to minimize the chat, read questions out, animation and speed, so I believe that as she progresses, she could adjust the settings accordingly, and last her until Year 6 or 7.
Overall, highly recommended (5 stars) -- anything to make your child enjoy (and learn) something that they felt tedious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational software your child will enjoy using!, 22 Feb 2003
This review is from: I Love Maths! (CD-ROM)
This humour-filled software turns maths into games and makes them fun. In four areas you "save the world" using maths from an evil character called Gretchen. A two-player game is also possible, and you can set each player's level from 1-4 so that an older child can play against a younger brother or sister with both having a real chance of winning.
In Atlantis you have to lay pipes to save the underwater kingdom from drying up. Is the broken plumbing half a pipe in length, or two-thirds of a pipe? What if you've only got some one-sixth or quarter lengths of pipe? Can you cut them, extend them (by multiplication) or use them added together to get the right length before time runs out?
In an Ancient Egyptian tomb you are bombarded by mental arithmetic problems, all the time watched over and sneered or cheered at by some rather creepy characters disguised as the mummy's canopic jars. Not quite as much fun as Atlantis, but still useful for real-world math skills.
In Ancient Greece, you're at the Olympic stadium, and dealing with time, measure, money and area. Success in this area lights the Olympic torch.
In the Aztec area you transform geometrical shapes by rotation, reflection and cutting, in order to fit them into keyholes so that you can release some trapped birds of paradise.
At the end, you get a printable certificate, showing your score against Gretchen's or the other player's. These certificates are much coveted by the children I've played this with, and provide great motivation!

4.0 out of 5 stars I love Maths! - Excellent value for Money, 31 July 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: I Love Maths! (CD-ROM)
This is a brilliant concept, plenty of fun with increasing difficulty. My son enjoys doing it. The challenge topics are excellent with a section targerted to weak areas, and other sections enabling you to choose topics all under 4 levels of difficulty. The 4 levels following roughly the 4 junior years (7-11yrs) One disadvantage is that you have to keep an eye on your child as they tend to stay with their favourite area (e.g. my son loves the fractions in Atlantis), but the progress screen allows you to do this!

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter initiates this CD, 11 Aug 2003
r10623 "r10623" (Hong Kong, China) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Lost interest very quickly, 27 May 2005
G. Horsham (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: I Love Maths! (CD-ROM)
After initial enthusiasm, my daughter found the game play and the way you move around the 4 different arenas quite uninteresting. The maths items themselves were as you would expect, and there are a lot of different items with various degrees of difficulty, but the all center around just 3 basic arenas. Also, there are no short cut's to the items, so you have to repeatedly listen to the same preamble every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: I Love Maths! (CD-ROM)
Useful extra maths tool with different levels and nice characters. Covers the basics as well as more advanced ideas for Ks1. Makes a change from studying from a maths book. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 10 April 2013
This review is from: I Love Maths! (CD-ROM)
It arrived before the date stated and was packaged appropriately. Although it was described as new, there was a crack in the case. However, there was no damaged to the CD-ROM and all works fine.
Many thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy!, 31 May 2012
This review is from: I Love Maths! (CD-ROM)
I used this game when I was in years 2-5 and can highly recommend it! You barely realise you're learning because of the fun games and scenarios, and the characters make you actually WANT to learn! If you child struggles with maths, or if they do well but don't like maths then this game is a good tool to help change that. I'm at university now and wish there had been higher levels of this game to make things more interesting through high school and college!

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE MATHS!, 24 Jun 2011
This review is from: I Love Maths! (CD-ROM)
My son really likes playing with this CD and in the process is learning without realising!

It's a good way of getting them to do some homework without nagging them!!!

The CD is good fun and has lots of exciting games to play along the way.

Would highly recommend anyone to purchase this product.

I Love Maths!
I Love Maths! by Avanquest Software (Windows 95 / 98 / XP)
8.79