Price:£6.49+ £1.99 shipping

on 30 October 2000
My kids enjoyed some of the activities, but they did them only because they knew they'd get a sticker at the end rather than because they took a great deal of notice of the activities themselves. The younger of the two persevered with an activity even if he didn't know what he was doing until he got the sticker, therefore a cut off point should have been included (i.e. they shouldn't be allowed to go on if they have made more than 5 mistakes). Some of the activites seemed too simple and others too difficult - there didn't seem to be any natural progression and too much of the same kind of thing. They have had more fun and a lot more value for money from some cheaper software with poorer graphics. Also the framework of the classroom is pretty uninteresting. Not a patch DK's Explorer CD-Roms. and I bought this one on the strength of those being so good. Having said that my kids, especially my younger son (4), have used it several times without me suggesting it, so it can't be that bad!
on 16 January 2001
We have found this series of CDS invaluable to support our daughter's English home learning programme. She finds the exercises challenging enough, though some can be a little easy, but this only helps increase her confidence. As her day to day activities are conducted in German, we are anxious that her English language and other skills proceed at a good pace and have found this series to be excellent. We have ordered the rest of the series to carry on supplementing her development.
on 7 May 2002
After enjoying the first in the lerning ladder series this one came as a bit of disappointment.
There is far too much 'window dressing' in the rooms. Alot of the items do nothing except make a noise, which for my 4 year old has become dull. Navigation around the tasks is laborious, and variety when you get there is not that great. It still looks nice but considering this is supposed to enthuse up to 7 year olds, you may want something a little more structured.
on 12 February 2011
My Daughter was very keen to learn to read and write in English although she goes to school in Switzerland and speaks, reads and writes German all day. She needed some help with the language parts, but sailed through the Maths on her own. This product can be recommended for anyone in the same position as our family where the children speak English, but will not formally learn it as a school subject for a few more years.
She loved the preschool version and this was the next logical step for her to continue her education at her own pace. The programme is very encouraging and collecting stickers is fun.
on 22 August 2002
I was sorely disappointed by this CD. I bought it on the strentgh that it was a DK product but found that there was no help documents, no instructions. The tasks did not seem to change within the same "test", i.e. it kept on asking for the same letter to work with rather than randomly generating a new letter each time.
The progress charts also are a waste of time as they do not show how well or bad the child performed, only how many items they have completed.
This package has not been thought out at all and the "experienced teachers" must be morrons.
All in all a very bad use of your hard earned money.
on 2 June 2003
We bought this for my son when he first started School. It is our belief that it has helped him no end with his spelling and ability to solve mathematical problems. He is coming to the end of his 2nd year and has done excellently in his SATs and is in the top 5 of his class.
He loves the activity area's in the set up too. We have been able to monitor his progress through and it has been great to see how he's gone from finding it difficult to finding it a breeze. We will deffinately get the one for year 3.
on 17 November 2003
i bought this CD ROM because they use it in school. My 3-year-old loves it, it goes on when he comes in from school and stays on with him playing visits to it throughout the day. I find it colourful and very entertaining as well and being educational. My son loves it when he wins the stickers for his sticker book and he knows the words on it word for word. I would highly recommend this CD ROM.
on 28 January 2006
If you're happy enough to search the software company's website for some clues, fiddle around with your PC's virtual memory settings a few times and reboot the machine three times, you might get it to work for five minutes before it crashes.
My advice would be not to do all that with your child sitting on your lap: there were a lot of tears at the third reboot.
Save your money.
on 28 October 2009
It is difficult for most parents/grandparents to fully appreciate the School Curriculum. We need this appreciation to be able to support our child during their education.

The Leaning Ladder Year 1 and 2 package allows parents/grandparents to understand what their children are being taught and to provide them with guidance/assistance on each of the facets of their work. It is also possible to monitor how your child is progressing within the package against how their schoolwork is going.
on 7 September 2009
My 5 year old daughter loves 'Learning Ladders' - she asks to use the computer so that she can work through the stages and is motivated by the stickers awarded when a task is completed.

Learning Ladders has kept her busy over the school holidays. In addition to progressing with her reading, writing and maths, she has learnt how to use the computer - even how to load this without adult help!