5.0 out of 5 stars My 4 Year Old's Favourite!
I purchased this CD ROM after reading good reviews about it and my daughter who is an avid user of her laptop and owns a variety of other software, loves this one more than any other.
Published on 12 Jan 2003 by melisimo

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for XP!
Please note, this is a VERY old CD ROM, not updated since 1998. Despite what it says on the box, it didn't install properly under XP, and it wanted to install a very old version of Quicktime over the top of the current one!
Sadly, best avoided.
Published on 17 Aug 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars My 4 Year Old's Favourite!, 12 Jan 2003
This review is from: Learning Ladder: Pre-School (CD-ROM)
She would spend hours on it if I allowed her to, as the capacity of the CD is so big. It keeps her challenged and entertained and I feel assured that she is learning new letter, number, time and direction skills as well as a variety of others which I believe fit in well with what she is currently learning in her school reception class.
Tasks are rewarded with stickers which the child can then place in an interactive sticker book, one by one. There is also a section where you can check on your child's progress.
If only all software could be as fun, rewarding and challenging as this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning Ladder - Maths:Reading:Writing, 16 Nov 2002
This review is from: Learning Ladder: Pre-School (CD-ROM)
I recently purchased this CDRom for my 4 year old, and he loves it. I can not get onto my computer anymore!!!!!! The instructions are easy to follow and there is plenty to do.
Sometimes teaching can become a little frustrating to both of you, but he is learning so much with this, and with so much fun too. No more frustrating moments. He is able to do most of the tasks unaided. I certainly recommend this CDRom. It definately has the thumbs up sign from me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value - but lose Woody!, 19 July 2003
This review is from: Learning Ladder: Pre-School (CD-ROM)
My son is 3 and loves this CD, although he needs help with some of the activities. He especially loves winning his stickers and pasting them into his sticker book. The activities are well thought out, entertaining and educational.
BUT...
Please someone - anyone! - tell me how to turn off Woody the pencil! I thought I'd met the ultimate irritation with Microsoft's paperclip, but this is 10 times worse! The program does not allow enough time before Woody appears on the screen to hurry the user up, which is very off-putting for a child who is getting the hang of a new game. Also, I really don't like some of the comments - calling a pre-school child "lazy" and sarcastically enquiring "Anybody out there?!" when answers aren't typed fast enough is appalling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dorling Kindersley software is excellent., 2 Oct 2001
This review is from: Learning Ladder: Pre-School (CD-ROM)
I first discovered how good DK software was when I bought my daughter Play & Learn:Reading and Counting. She absolutely loved it and I was very impressed with the simplicity and style of it. I would put it on and leave her to it! Learning Ladder is a natural progression from this and I find it invaluable for supporting my daughter's school education. She loves this software and will spend hours doing the activities not realising she is learning at the same time she is having so much fun. I would highly recommend this software to anyone with children under 5. Dorling Kindersley is now my educational software of choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Learning Ladder: Pre-School., 3 Aug 2000
This review is from: Learning Ladder: Pre-School (CD-ROM)
The first in the learning ladder series has been a good stepping stone for my four year old son. The program is easily followed and each activity talks to the child. My son got easily to grips with the layout and was soon not needing my help. There is lots of games which have helped him with his number and letter skills for starting school. I was very impressed with the Learning ladder and have since bought the next two titles for my older children.

4.0 out of 5 stars Learning Ladder : Pre-School, 23 Jan 2001
This review is from: Learning Ladder: Pre-School (CD-ROM)
Excellent product. This has kept both my 5 year old and 3 year old entertained for hours. I never would have thought that an "educational" product could make them laugh so much! The product itself is giving both children good basic skills in colours, numbers, alphabet, etc. Really good grounding for early years children.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for XP!, 17 Aug 2004
Sadly, best avoided.

5.0 out of 5 stars very popular, 3 Sep 2005
Ms R. Mitten (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learning Ladder: Pre-School (CD-ROM)
This is an easy-to-find-things programme, there is a teddy-bear page where the themed tasks are (numbers, letters, space, time etc), then a large 'room' where you can click on items to play a little game or just see something happen (e.g. click on tambourine & it shakes). Woody lurks around the room and makes comments from time to time which you could find irritating if you were inclined that way but he's really not bad.
My 4 year old boy really enjoys his time on this programme. Some of the games he can't do without help (for him, it's the word ones), but I just lurk around and ask him if he needs any help. It has definitely helped him with things that he was confident doing already (numbers & space in his case), but I'm not sure if it could actually teach him anything new; I feel that the programme increases confidence and knowledge in areas that the child has knowledge of already.
That said, still excellent and would recommend.
On the technical side, it works well with no stoppages or glitches and was easy to load, important for a computer-novice like me (although probably my son could have done it for me of course...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning ladder: Pre-School, 22 Dec 2001
This review is from: Learning Ladder: Pre-School (CD-ROM)
My 4 1/2 loves this so much. He has really been motivated by the talking pencil. I shall certainly be looking at the Learning ladder for years 1 & 2.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just okay, 24 April 2006
This review is from: Learning Ladder: Pre-School (CD-ROM)
This was the first software I bought for my under 3 year old. I found it overly complicated to navigate around. There are no instructions about how to find things or what there is to find. A lot of the things to click on a very small and not good at all for someone who is just learning to move a mouse. I wouldn't buy this to introduce a child to using computers but I can see that it might be okay for older children who already have solid basic skills.

Learning Ladder: Pre-School
Learning Ladder: Pre-School by Avanquest Software (Windows 95 / 98)
1.99