5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to Etta's music
Etta was one of the finest R+B singers of the sixties and early seventies, with an incredible voice and an amazing ability to interpret a song. This compilation contains a selection of the music that she recorded forr the Chess label during that period. There are so many great songs here but I'll tell you about some of my favorites.

Almost persuaded, originally...
Published on 16 May 2005 by Peter Durward Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars The Best of Etta James
I was surprised to know that I knew most of the songs on the CD. Very nice, romantic and lovelorn. Perfect for relaxing and enjoying songs from the past. Etta's vocals are excellent.
Published on 16 Oct 2012 by Sandra

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to Etta's music, 16 May 2005
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Best Of Etta James (Audio CD)

Almost persuaded, originally a number one country hit for David Houston, is given a bluesy R+B treatment here. Maybe Etta was inspired to try this by Ray Charles' re-interpretation of country songs, but whatever the reason she did it, the result is impressive. Loving arms, recorded by many singers but generally associated with Elvis Presley, is another inspired cover, as is At last, originally recorded by Glenn Miller.
Etta was first to record I'd rather go blind. In Britain, this became a top twenty UK hit via a cover by the British blues group Chicken Shack. Christine McVie (later of Fleetwood Mac fame) was the lead singer on that single but much as I love Christine's voice, the original version by Etta is superior. Etta's only UK hit of her own came following its use in a TV commercial in 1996 - it made the UK top five and is, of course, the raunchy opening track here, I just wanna make love to you.

Etta had plenty of R+B hits in America, though she only made a limited impact on the main pop charts. Among Etta's R+B hits to be found here are Pushover, Tell Mama and Stop the wedding, all of them excellent.

As an introduction to Etta's music, this is brilliant, especially considering that it is a budget release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Go Wrong., 5 July 2007
This review is from: The Best Of Etta James (Audio CD)
Etta James is one of my all time favourite female singers and this album is brilliant and it just so happens it is a bargain. For those more dedicated fans I would suggest the complete chess recordings, however, you cannot go wrong by having this in your collection and for those unfamiliar with Etta James, this is a great introduction, which could get you hooked!

5.0 out of 5 stars the Best of Etta James is the best!!, 9 Aug 2002
Alison White (High Wycombe, Bucks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Etta James (Audio CD)
I bought this record for one track only - 'At last' having heard it in a number of films, but now I am completely hooked on all of the songs.
I didn't realise I would know so many of the other tracks like 'I Just Want To Make Love To You' and 'Leave Your Hat On' but I find myself singing along to each and every one.
This is a thoroughly enjoyable album and a definite must for anyones collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - a must have for all those a little sentimental, 14 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Best Of Etta James (Audio CD)
This CD is wonderful, I first listened to it whilst visiting family in America, and as soon as it came on I felt so emotional. Etta's wonderful soulful voice with an oldfashioned yet timeless melody in the song 'AT LAST' featured in many films and more to come. I am sure this is bound to bring on some great feelings. Then in the basement just make s you want to dance. I was dancing round the ktichen with my four year old neice and her grandmother, 3 generations all still loving her tunes. For backgound music, to party tunes those Etta fans will be satisfied with this compilation, those new fans should check it out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blues at it's best, 19 Jun 2009
Robert Carpenter (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Etta James (Audio CD)
I first heard this Lady's remarkable soulful voice in 1996 when she reached No.5 in the charts with 'I Just Wanna Make Love To You' and then again last September was introduced to her earlier offerings in this World of music we all love so much. What amazed me the most is that she had to wait so long for her first hit record in this country, sometimes our public miss out on so much probably due to the lack of airplay given to certain artists for whatever reason. With her earlier singles such as
All I Could Do Was Cry, At Last, Tell Mama, Something's gotta hold on me etc it justs highlights how great a talent we had to enjoy in the sixties but somehow managed to overlook chartwise. The bluesy great I'd rather go blind typify's her ability to blend herself between two idioms of soul & blues and come up smelling of roses. If you've not listened to this lady then it's high time you did. Terrific Album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational! Every track is good, 16 Feb 2009
Chemindey (Derbyshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Etta James (Audio CD)
I bought this CD for one track 'At Last' which I heard on radio 2 one morning. The presentator said that Etta James was her favourite at the moment, and I can understand why. I hadn't heard of her, but have since realised that I've got many of her songs on other compilation CDs. Her gritty, throaty style really works, yet when she sings 'At Last' she manages to produce a smooth, lingering sound that is quite different from the other tracks. At this price, this is a not-to-be-missed buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Etta James: neglected heroine, 15 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Best Of Etta James (Audio CD)
This is a very full and wide ranging selection of Etta James tracks. There are some treasures in here. You will get goose bumps from a few. 'I'd rather go blind', is reassuringly included. Her favourite theme is being in the church while he marries someone else. Two of them echo here 'All I could do was cry' and 'Stop the wedding', although the one is missing where she just screams, "It should have been me" (a hoot, which album is it on?). To return to what is here, a suprise in the country 'Almost persuaded'; an early 'Leave your hat on'. So much to wallow in, 'At last' and more. A TREAT pop pickers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful voice with a real spice!, 26 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Best Of Etta James (Audio CD)
I was first introduced to Etta James when I watched Cadillac Records where Beyonce, in my opinion, played the part incredibly well and helped me fall in love with a voice I can't believe I had never heard of. From the film I immediately become besotted with 'All I Could Do Was Cry' and subsequently downloaded 'I'd Rather Go Blind' after realising on a hitch that it was not an original Rod Stewart!
I selected this 'best of...' because I didn't know enough about Etta's musical back catalogue to decipher a best album and I have to say, not only is it a wonderful record because of Etta's incredible and astonishing vocal gift, but the actual selection and track order is brilliant. I love the first track 'I Just Want To Make Love To You' and never realised she had sang it. I am also glad they ended the album with 'At Last' because it is a beautiful song and leaves you with a wholesome feeling.
I would recommend this album if you are a fan of the 1950/60's blues scene. I have always loved Aretha Franklin and even though I don't think she can be beaten vocally, Etta has a spice and kick to her voice that I really love.

5.0 out of 5 stars As the title states the Best of, 15 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Best Of Etta James (Audio CD)
If you like soul music sang with feeling and passion this album is for you because Etta is one of the few ladies of soul who can make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. A must album for all soul fans old and new.

5.0 out of 5 stars AN ALL-TIME GREAT - A TRUE LEGEND, 3 Sep 2010
DOPPLEGANGER (TEDDY B) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Best Of Etta James (Audio CD)
The multi-talented Ms James now in her 70's and until recently, when a debilitating disease was diagnosed, was performing at the highest levels and showcasing her remarkable contralto range voice, encompassing Blues, Rock and Roll, R & B, and Jazz. Winner of 4 Grammy's and 17, Blues Music Awards and has been inducted into just about all the Musical Halls Of Fame that are going.

Her gutsy, husky, strong, and unique voice delivers on every track, no more so than her signature number "At Last."

Highly recommended as a must have, as there are no guarantees that such a talent can be replicated in the future. Truly a remarkable one-off performer of immense artistic stature.

The Best Of Etta James
The Best Of Etta James by Etta James (Audio CD - 2000)