4.0 out of 5 stars Very pretty indeed
A nicely shot film where the horses are undoubtedly the stars even with the presence of the likes of Sean Bean and David Thewlis. Alan Cumming's narration might irritate adults but I couldn't think of anyone who'd do better but it does pigeonhole it as a kids film. From my very vague memories of the book when I was young, I think it was probably reasonably true to the...
Published on 25 April 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice to look at
Published on 30 Dec 2006 by duirsgrove

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 Aug 2014
This review is from: Black Beauty [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
Loved the film.Would use sellar again

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice to look at, 30 Dec 2006
This review is from: Black Beauty [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
I suppose you might be looking at this film if you like childrens films, horsey films or are a fan of some of the actors involved. Sceenplay by the woman that did the Corpse Bride, Edward Scissorhands , Nightmare before Christmas but more in line with her other, Homeward Bound, It's not a bad attempt, it's the main modern screen version, but it's by no means a stellar production. Although and names are English (Bean, Davidson, Cooke) and the accents generally in keeping save a bit of a Dick Van Dyke cockney effort with accompanying overly done kind hearted Londeners the slant here has a definate Disney effect, although it is infact a Warner Brothers effort. The country scenery is pleasant and the narration yes highly irritating, more unecessarily so than other talkie films like Babe or Stuart Little etc making you feel the audience is of the lower age range of the lowest bracket to begin with. The animal training is highly evident in the first half and you might be mistaken to feeling it very suitable for young children. As it progresses it has adult material and themes of violence, neglect, cruelty, fashion, poverty and although integral to the story and the appeal I think it was a mistake to be so overly sentimental with the first half to then follow through with this more teenage line in the second - it's audience is unclear and many age ranges would find it unsatisfactory as it competes for too many, delivering completely non. As an adult, I don't feel it's much appropriate or likable for adults either - even particularly horsey afficianados. Although dated and Lassie-esque, I much prefer the 1972 series, also available on 2 dvds now. The absence of Sean Bean makes it a tough choice but he's only in this film for about 10 minutes anyway, although a lovely 10 minutes it is.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, Shame I Cannot download it for offline viewing, 22 Jun 2014
My Daughter really likes this film, but when I pay for a digital product (and it was'nt cheap) I expect to be able to be able to download it, burn it to DVD to view where there is no WiFi or internet connection, download it to a phone or tablet for offline viewing and just basically feel that I own it....

But No..

I do wish this was made clear before I purchased the film... means i always have to log into my Amazon account tie & up my laptop or PC when I need to work..

Why cannot Amazon get this sorted.

I used to be a big customer of Amazon, now I can get most items on the high street cheaper than on Amazon, in many cases 10's of pounds cheaper, only come to Amazon now if I cannot get the item on the high street.

I am really disappointed, joined Prime too a few months back in order to get free delivery believing it was free delivery on everything for 12 Months, this could not be further from the truth, seriously not worth the money, and the streaming videos are quite frankly a joke, still end up paying for anything decent or in HD....

Really disillusioned with Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 July 2014
Excellent, received quickly :D

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 Aug 2014
B. Shore - See all my reviews
ok, it tells the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars book condition, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Black Beauty [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
Arrived as expected. Not in mint condition but in a very good condition. Enough black and white pictures for children to get an idea of the characters involved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Beauty DVD, 22 April 2012
N. Hunt - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Beauty [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
DVD arrived quite quickly and was well packaged. Cannot say what quality of film was as it was a birthday present for my granddaughter but have no reason to think it was anything but fine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Black Beauty, 26 Feb 2011
This review is from: Black Beauty [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
Well - I thought this would be a perfect film to sit down with my daughter (just into ponies) - it is sooooooooooo emotional - infact it really upset her - especially the shot of the dead horse which had been maltreated - if you want a black beauty for a little girl to watch this is not the best version - I'm going to try to find the black beauty I saw when I was a girl - of the wonderful adventures and not of this very sad story - my husband, daughter and I cried and cried and it took my daugther hours of crying herself to sleep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Aug 2014
very good

5.0 out of 5 stars :)), 13 Aug 2014
Thanks

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

Black Beauty [DVD] [1994]
Black Beauty [DVD] [1994] by Caroline Thompson (DVD - 2000)
3.00