5.0 out of 5 stars Myth, magic and Marc Singer
I just loved this film from the moment I saw it way back when....

It's a great action, humourous, fun, magical film if ever there was.

Published on 13 Jun. 2010 by Janna Dean

2.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant film gets a dreadful UK release
Why is Amazon displaying the same reviews for the region 1 and 2 version of this film. The region 1 version (blue cover) totally outclasses the region 2 version (white cover)!!

First let me say I absolutely love this film, and I'd give it an easy 5 star review. However this review is for the region 2 version (white cover).

I suppose this is the one...
Published on 13 April 2008 by Lee Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Myth, magic and Marc Singer, 13 Jun. 2010
Janna Dean "Catgirl" (Buckinghamshire, England) - See all my reviews
I just loved this film from the moment I saw it way back when....

It's a great action, humourous, fun, magical film if ever there was.

Mark Singer was in great shape for this movie, charging around with some of the most loveable animals you can imagine. Two ferrets who were excellent little actors, stealing anything they could get their paws on and a fabulous black tiger representing Dar's strength. Also a beautiful eagle who sends images to him as it flies ahead of him as he roves across the barren rocky landscapes.

Rip Torn played his evil character brilliantly and I just couldn't wait to see him meet a nasty end (but do keep an eye on his beaky nose).

Tanya Roberts also played her part well. Quite the little lost slave girl who Marc was unable to resist.

He played Dar, the unborn child taken from his mother's womb and raised by a self appointed guardian as his own son. It was evident from the start that he had special gifts, understanding animals, and it was for me, this that kept the movie alive.

I think all of you who like legends and fairy tales with a bit of muscle thrown in for good measure will really enjoy this film. Direction and production excellent!

I would like to point out that this review is of a Korean import which will play on Region 2 DVD players. The reproduction is beautifully clear and fits the screen of any TV without making the picture stretched or squashed. It has a fair amount of extra features on the making of The Beastmaster too.

2.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant film gets a dreadful UK release, 13 April 2008
Lee Thomas (South Tyneside, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Beastmaster [DVD][1982] (DVD)

I suppose this is the one for me to review, seeing as how I'm from the UK.

Sadly this version is truely awful!!

First off, the sound and picture quality is crap. There's no way this is 'digitally mastered'.

Secondly, the overall presentation is poor, no special features in sight. As if they couldn't be bothered to make an effort for this package. They didn't even add the original trailor, something which even the old VHS had!

The wide screen presentation is also false, all they've done is took the full frame version and squashed it down to look wide screen. As a result the faces of the actors look rugby ball shaped and their bodies look short 'n' fat!

If you want a decent version of this film go for the region 1 version as it has excellent picture and sound quality, great special features, a true wide screen presentation and even a production booklet.

I hope that in the future, the powers that be will re-release this classic film as a decent region 2 version. But for now, like I said go for region 1.

Overall = 2 stars (Region 2) but a definate 5 stars (Region 1).

5.0 out of 5 stars region 1 against 0 region dvd, 21 Aug. 2010
hi if u are thinking of getting the beastmaster then get the region 1 its better quality and will work if u have a multiregion dvd player i first bought the 0 free region when i got it didnt work on my equipment then put it in my laptop it started to work then just froze on me and the quality was not that good ever so make sure u buy the region 1 version it may be more expensive but worth it in the end thanxs for looking at my review

4.0 out of 5 stars A great slice of sword and slash, 14 Jun. 2012
Steven - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
What a great film. Marc Singer is tops as Dar. Dar has a tough upbringing. As an unborn child and heir to the throne, he's taken from his mothers womb via witchcraft (how else) and born to a cow, yes a cow, before ending up on the old ritual sacrifice malarkey. Anyway, he's saved by a farmer type fellow who raises Dar. Anyway, Dar grows up with powers enabling him to speak to animals and to see through their eyes! Anyway, his village ransacked by the Jun Horde, a proper bunch of nutters. Dar arrives but is cut down before being saved by his dog. Yes, his dog which has already been wounded by an arrow. Anyway, he resolves to kill em all and the resulting movie is quite the treat. The music is good and the sets are well made. Tanya Roberts is fantastic and never without makeup. There are some decent fights along the way, not least of which is the fight at the end on the bridge across the burning tar pit, it is superb and allows us to see a flash of Marc's martial arts prowess. All in all, really good. Avoid the sequels though, urgggggg.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beastmaster, 16 Sept. 2011
29 years old, and still an exciting fantasy full of action and humour, enjoyed by the whole family watching it (five generations) and subject to a good discussion afterwards.----- conclusion "A Great Film "

4.0 out of 5 stars Silly sword n'sorcery romp but its eniticing nonetheless., 5 Nov. 2000
Nick Wimbledon (Hadleigh, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Beastmaster [DVD][1982] (DVD)
Beastmaster is not a work of art. Its full of continuity gaffs for a start, but the writer is under no illusion as to what sword n'sorcery is about : sword fights, magic, nubile women and good versus evil. The plot, such as it is, concerns warrior Dar embarking on a quest for revenge which leads him into a confrontation with the Jun horde. Invariably this means attacking everything he meets with his sword, albeit aided by two ferrets, a black panther and eagle. I'd recommend Beastmaster to any fan of swords and sorcery. Okay, so its a little childish, but on a comic book level its quite exciting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated cult classic, 8 Aug. 2012
This version of The Beastmaster (Korean release)is well worth the price.Released in the early 1980's this film still entertains.
The villans are horrid as they should be.Rip Torn is excellent as Maxx-the arch demonic high priest.The plot is simple, like most 'sword and sorcery' tales but very entertaining because it adds humour to the action and does not take itself seriously.However it's not a parody.The evil actions of the villan and his various minions are chilling.The hero is well played by Marc Singer and his love interest is delightful to watch(The very lovely Tanya Roberts)This edition is 118 mins long (the uncut version I believe)and is in English with english and korean subtitles which can be easily switched off.The price is excellent when compared to the region 1 release.
If you a fan of this type of movie from the heydays of Conan get this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars An All time CLASSIC ********, 13 Dec. 2007
If you are only familiar with the TV series then get a copy of this film! This has to be on of the all time classics of the fantasy genre, despite the fact that it only did modest business at the box office at the time of its release. However when it began to be shown on cable TV in the USA, it proved so popular that in a poll, TCM's (Turner Classic Movies) viewers voted the best film after GONE WITH THE WIND. Even stand up comedians began to say that HBO meant "Hay Beastmaster's On!" Once you've seen it you'll know why. It's much less sombre than CONAN, but just as action packed. Great Family entertainment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Meanwhile there is an epic tale told in this fine picture (when you take your eyes of Mark and ..., 31 Dec. 2014
Well come on, of course I was going to give it 5 stars, it's only the fourth copy I've bought since it became available on video formats. (Although, keep this between you and me, I'd rather own it on 35mm). I particularly marvel that on DVD you need to be 15plus to ogle Tanya's chesticles but age didn't matter if you saw it in the cinema as a PG (which I did, when it first came out- the film, not her titties- but of course I looked- you can't miss them on a 21ft screen).
Of course this film is a must for all self-respecting straight males and red-necks because of Tanya (what more would you need) however if your taxi is travelling the other way there is Mr. Singer at his fittest and smoothest. Meanwhile there is an epic tale told in this fine picture (when you take your eyes of Mark and Tanya).
I wasn't quite old enough to appreciate the leading "scenery" when I first watched this so I know it has a good simple story that is truly adventurous and connects with the wonder years of my childhood.
Of course I like ET, Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Empire Strikes Back (there is only ONE Star Wars film) but The Beastmaster is the most played film in my house and I have completely lost count of the number of times it's been on. Sometimes I actually watch, other times I have so I can hear the soundtrack.
This movie comes with Lee Holdridge's finest adventure scoring, the only thing it lack is a CinemaScope format but it still looks magnificent on the big screen. Excellent cast and excellent adventure, nothing tacky, definitely one of the best of the 80s Fantasy crop.

5.0 out of 5 stars A CLASSIC, 26 Sept. 2009
C. Cottier (Isle of Man) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Beastmaster [DVD][1982] (DVD)
This was the first film we rented as a family on an old Betamax video player,(Whats Betamax? most of you are saying) any way it was quite a while back but non the less its a sword and sorcery fantasy film that left a great impression with me and all of my school friends at the time. Recently bought this on dvd and its still good viewing, yes the effects and acting are slightly dated by todays standards but its still great entertainment value, I highly recommend it.

The Beastmaster [DVD][1982]
The Beastmaster [DVD][1982] by Don Coscarelli (DVD - 1999)