5.0 out of 5 stars I'd forgotten they were so good, 18 Jun 2009
Mr. Jeremy Alford (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Collection (Audio CD)
Good old Mamas Boys. I'd really forgotten (after 20 years or so) just how good they were ! I've heard so many songs since, that i now realise have been inspired by the "boys". They were tuneful, innovative, rockin and musically superb. A VERY FINE CD INDEED - BUY IT AND REMINISCE !

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great band that should have been huge!!, 12 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Collection (Audio CD)
I love Mamas Boys, so this will be a little biased!

I have most of their earlier stuff on vinyl but, I found this compilation CD at a price that was acceptable, so went for it, as I do not have any of their later material. As expected, all the early songs are great as they still have that distinct Mamas Boys sound, despite the "new" glossy production. Runaway Dreams, Lonely Soul, Midnight Promises and the like are fabulous. However, after the tracks from Power & passion (which are way over produced!) we get into the "four piece band" era. Now I have nothing personal against any of the singers, and other people may like these but, to me, they are not the Mamas Boys I saw live and fell in love with. That gritty Irishness has gone, to be replaced by a polished AOR band - which they weren't!

Unfortunately, things went down hill after that, ending in tragedy when drummer Tommy sadly passed away. The two remaining brothers Pat & John did eventually reunite for a while in a band called Celtus, but that was not the same style of music.

This should have been a "five star" review but, as I only tend to play just over half of this CD, I have docked one!
Until some nice company decides to reissue Plug it in and Turn it up, this will have to suffice. R.I.P. Tommy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Collection (Audio CD)
Great CD from a great band.

The Collection
The Collection by Mama's Boys (Audio CD - 2000)