Format: DVD|Change
Price:£3.53+ £1.26 shipping

on 11 May 2003
If one of your interests is the john gotti story then you have to see this film.Armande Assante is brilliant as the notorious mobster.Ok it doesnt get everything right but you can forgive it.It starts off when john is the acting capo of carmine faticos crew and then tells the story of his rise to the top of the gambino family, upsetting a few people on the way(paul castellano).The depiction of sammy the bull isnt great, it makes him out to be a psychopath who enjoys killing.With great inputs from anthony quinn,william forsythe and dominic chianese this is a truly great film.it's well worth the watch especially if u are a john gotti fan.Im only giving it 4 stars because of the few untrue parts in the film otherwise it would be 5.WATCH IT....
on 17 April 2016
I seen Gotti dvd when I was a teen but somehow never bought it as never seen it in shops in UK so I decided now to buy the region 1 version" not sure if a region 2 has been ever released". My dvd plays all region dvd's so all good there. The movie as many of you know is based on the rise and the fall of John Gotti the infamous Italian Mafia New York Boss. I enjoyed the movie. The story and how they portrayed it is well done. Not perfect even to events known but I guess they didnt want to put every detail on the movie. This is a very underated and to many people non existant. Its a shame as great actors star in like the great Anthony Queen and a few Soprano favourites like Paulie and Pussy. The only thing that wasn't real to me as a movie fan is they portray Gotti even at the end of the movie as the good guy and Sammy "the bull" Gravano as the only responsible for bad things. I mean even on a movie The Boss is The Boss and he decides. I only gave this movie 4 stars for the reasons above. It would had been great more detail and longer story line but ok overall. Most people buy and give credit to GoodFellas and The GodFather which is ok as they were great movies but it good to see something new and with a different story line and Gotti dvd does that. I recommend it to anyone that likes these kind of movies.
review image review image review image review image
on 7 September 2000
This is a superb movie of the rise and fall of John Gotti alias the Teflon Don, so called because the US Goverment could never make any allegations stick. Superb performances by Armand Assante as John Gotti and a supporting role by Anthony Quinn as his Mentor Neil Delacroce. While not as violent as Goodfellas, Gotti is the true story of life in the mafia. Armand Assante gets the balance of the evil and human sides of John Gotti just right, His menacing performance had me glued to the chair. I wouldnt rate this movie quite in the same league as Goodfellas or Donnie Brasco, but if your a Mafia film fan dont miss it.
on 13 April 2015
ZERO STARS.. I have received this DVD and although I have already seen the gotti movie years ago I cannot unfortunately watch this as the disc and cover are copies the cover is different from the DVD and is of poor quality.. Small photos on the back of case are not clear and the disc isn't copy written.. It plays on none of my DVD players laptops or my playstation maiming this is a fake
review image
on 6 December 2015
This HBO movie, was made long before The Sopranos and The Wire,
and has a "movie of the week" feel about it, but, has a great cast,
and is well acted. It covers all the events that were to bring John Gotti
down.

If you know the story, all well and good, but if you don't, this is a
good place to start.
on 15 June 2011
First of all, let me begin by saying that I do realize that this movie is based on a true story before I say what I am about to say.

When it comes to mafia / gangster movies, it's OK but not really great like Casino, Goodfellas, Donnie Brasco, Bugsy, or the ultimate benchmark, The Godfather. I'll probably only watch this one a few times and then it will sit there occupying space on my shelf.

I have noticed that there is great overlap between Gotti's character and several characters in the Godfather movies... Joey Zaza (the flash mobster), Frank Pantangeli (the rat), and a few others... I think these characters are somewhat typical as they either really existed or seem expected in any gangster movie.

WARNING: The DVD box is so flimsy that mine broke while trying to unwrap the plastic! I wasn't very forceful, I noticed that the box was very light and had already read the other reviews about the box (it seems others have faced the same problem) and yet it still broke almost in half!
on 20 January 2007
I'm actually quite suprised at the relative lack of awareness about this film, well in comparison to other popular mob films. I'm an avid fan of mob films and having read several books on the Gambino crime family I thought this would be an interesting buy-sure was!

My review: Firstly, the cast is simply brilliant- especially Armand Assante. His potrayal of John Gotti is a good reflection of the man himself. It becomes evident that the film is very well researched, which is a real bonus. I was so enticed when watching the film that i didn't realise the 104minutes fly by. The film is sharp, funny at times and very accurate. It leaves you with that feeling of "damn, this really happened, there really was a mafia- there really was a John Gotti"

In my honest opinion, I probably enjoyed the film more than the average viewer because of my fascination with the mafia, however, i would definately recommend to this most of you. It takes pride of place in my film collection, somewhere between Donnie Brasco and A Bronx Tale
on 28 March 2015
I have this dvd but cant watch it .It wont play on my dvd.I think it because its from america.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 March 2009
Ok the reason I gave this movie only one star is based on the followings: it lacks of good acting, fast storyline, some of the main characters look nothing like the real mafia members themselves (especially Paul Castellano)you can not see the tight links between the family members. This movie just does not have that kick that the viewer wants to see. According to many materials (documentaries, FBI footages, voice recordings) that can be found about Gotti this film could have been assembled a lot better. The crew of the Gotti's look so insignificant throughout the movie. Yeah there are a murders every now and then that are spread out evenly which kind of makes you predict when the next one will be. Gotti was probably the toughest gangster of all time. Did the film make me believe it? No it did not.
on 3 May 2015