5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic band form accross the atlantic
Published on 5 Aug 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Falling between two stools
The playing is decent, the vocalist does a solid job, but it seems to me that Nine Days cannot decide whether they are a Blink 182 or a Matchbox 20 and they end up falling between the two stools.
The songs descend into a confused mess, half skate punk, half stadium rock and the lack of coherency is all too obvious at times.
I'm sure some people will love the...
Published on 7 Feb 2002 by Darryl Still

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic band form accross the atlantic, 5 Aug 2001
This review is from: The Madding Crowd (Audio CD)
Having heard If I Am on the Dawsons Creek II soundtrack, I bought this album - and wasnt disappointed. Fantatstic, uplifting guitar-riff-strewn anthems are interspersed with quieter tracks in a Goo-Goo Dolls (Dizzy Up th Girl) fashion. Absolutely was massive in America, If I Am gets played at Ice hockey matches over there, yet its no surprise that they are unheard of over here. Like so many other top american bands (Third Eye Blind, the aforementioned Goo GOo Dolls, Vertical Horizon, Matchbox 20) they, inexplicably, havent yet cracked it over here. Check out Revolve and the opening track So Far Away, as well as the tribute song Bob Dylan and the previously mentioned tracks - all fantastic, well written songs. John Hampson's vocals are fantastic. But it - I promise, you wont be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Start to Finish and back again amazing, 9 Jun 2005
This review is from: The Madding Crowd (Audio CD)
I'd heard the single "absolutely" on many occasions and new the lyrics inside out but it wasn't till I borrowed the album that I got hooked. Start to finish it's more than just good, it is amazing! Anyone I know who owns this album has a problem taking it out of the cd player it's that good. For Fan's of Third Eye Blind, Goo Goo Dolls, Default, Vertical Horizon, Matchbox 20, etc it is a MUST!

5.0 out of 5 stars technically and sonicly excellent, 25 Jan 2001
This review is from: The Madding Crowd (Audio CD)
I really Like this album and it is definately one of the most lstened to in my collection. I got it for Christmas after hearing Story of a Girl on MTV and was amazed to find that this is no where near the best song on the album, with If I am, 257 Weeks and So Far Away winning the prizes for best all round tracks. The Madding Crowd is also a great CD in that all of the songs are different to each other with the mellow beats of wanna be and crazy and the hard rock feel of revolve. The only possible criticism I have of the CD is that the songs are all so instantly appealing that after a while you tend to get bored of them but this is forgiveable as after a couple of weeks of listeneing to other bands you'll be running back for more. A must buy for any rock fan especially if you like Third eye Blind or Vertical Horizon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting better all the time, 17 April 2005
This review is from: The Madding Crowd (Audio CD)
This album just gets better every time I play it, from start to finish it is just excellent; I really can't explain how good it is.
With such quality songs like revolve and bitter it will keep you coming back for more; 12 tracks of pure joy to listen to.
But this isn't their first album but Number 4 of 6!!!!!!
Doesn't look like amazon knows this, but albums 1-3 are very hard to find, 5 wasn't even released!
Therefore the band have allowed the legal downloading of those albums, And number 6 can be bought from their website.
If you like bands such as lifehouse, sister hazel, matchbox 20, the goo goo dolls or the counting crows it is very, very, very likely you will love this.

4.0 out of 5 stars good!, 24 Dec 2003
This review is from: The Madding Crowd (Audio CD)
I bought this album purely based on the reviews! I like to take chances on CD's that I havent heard, otherwise the world would be full of manufactered cr*p. After first listen I was happy, but not 100% confident that it was my wisest purchase. After having it for a few weeks and having a few listens, im very happy with this purchase. In the same league as Matchbox Twenty/Goo Goo Dolls and the rest! They sound like so many other bands, but not in a bad way!There are bits where they sound like Bon Jovi, Del Amitri, Train, even Coldplay. Everyone seems to like 'If I Am' and I can tell why. Other great songs are 'So Far Away', 'Wanna Be'. The best two songs are 'Bitter' and 'Revolve'. If anyone has ever come out of a relationship/friendship nothing good has come of it and you feel like you have wasted your time, then this song is perfect! Revolve is the type of song you want to hear when you have found the right person and you are willing to do anything for them. All in all a top album, and well worth a listen. Its not groundbreaking or anything new, but if you like MB20 of GGD then do you really want anything different?

5.0 out of 5 stars A porky beast of an album, 26 May 2002
This review is from: The Madding Crowd (Audio CD)
This album rocks. The lyrics are the best i've heard in ages, and songs such as If I Am and Revolve burst with funky musicality. There are a few classic songs such as the incredibly catchy Absolutely (Story of a Girl, 257 Weeks and Back To Me. Some of the guitar riffs are sublime and the cd has not left my sound system since i bought it five weeks ago. I simply cannot stress how good this album is. Go out and buy it NOW!!!!!! A must for indie rock lovers and anyone with an ear for good music. Only one request - BRING ANOTHER ONE OUT!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album I own...buy it now, 16 Jan 2005
Andy Smith (East Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Madding Crowd (Audio CD)
This has to be simply the greatest album I own. I borrowed it once from a friend and it instantly got my attention. This a very emotional album with some very well written songs. "sometimes", "bitter" and "wannabe" are all masterpieces, with the rest of the songs purely stunning.
I cannot recommend the album enough, I obviously went and bought my own copy not long after.
If you like bands such as Tonic (again brilliant), vertical horizon, goo goo dolls and matchbox twenty, this album is a must have.

4.0 out of 5 stars great US soft rock band, that lives up to their reputation, 13 Oct 2002
This review is from: The Madding Crowd (Audio CD)
Nine Days are pretty much unknown over here, but I have heard that they have a pretty good reputation over in America, so I decided to see what all the fuss was about and got this CD.
At first I didn't immediately take to it, but after a couple of listens it really grew on me, and now i really like this album.
Nine Days are in the same soft rock vain as many US bands, like Lifehouse and Vertical Horizon, but I think the best way to describe them is as an updated version of the Goo Goo Dolls, not that there is anything with the Goo's, but Nine Days are a much younger band and sing songs that the teenagers in todays market can relate to more easily.
This young person approach to song writing means that some of their songs aren't as deep or well written as those of the Goo Goo Dolls, but they are still very good in their own right.
Overall a great debut album, if you are a fan of the Goo Goo Dolls, Michelle Branch, Vertical Horizon and other soft rock bands like those, you are certain to love Nine Days.

5.0 out of 5 stars AN AMAZING ALBUM!!, 17 Mar 2002
This review is from: The Madding Crowd (Audio CD)
well what can i say? an amazing album, full of great lyrics that anyone can relate to. Nine days share a similar sound with other great rock bands such as third eye blind and vertical horizon, so if that is your kinda music, you will love the madding crowd. My favourite songs would have to be if i am, and revolve - i cant stress enough how much of a musical genius nine days have shown in these songs! how the band arent heard of in the uk is a mystery! A great buy.. im looking forward to the next album! happy listening!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 2 Feb 2005
P. McCauley - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Madding Crowd (Audio CD)
This album was very good the first time i listened to it. John Hampton has quite a range of vocals in this album and tries to incorperate it into his songs. if you like good pop-rock style i would reccommend this as it is probably one of the best albums in that genre out there

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Madding Crowd
The Madding Crowd by Nine Days (Audio CD - 2000)