5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
Great
Published 5 months ago by K. Petrie

I remember going to see this movie as a kid, I did enjoy it because I was not really aware of the original 80s cartoon. After become a fan of the original Inspector Gadget later on, I watched the film again. Seeing it through my eyes now, it is a pretty poor film. Sure, children should enjoy it but any longtime fan of IG will feel the movie as a affront.

The...
Published on 11 Sep 2010 by Mr. D. J. Varney

2.0 out of 5 stars Fun for kids but could have been so much better had they stayed faithful to the cartoon, 11 Sep 2010
Mr. D. J. Varney "Douglas Varney "film d... (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews

The film's big problem is that is hardly in the least faithful to the television series. It does have quite a lot of cartoony elements in it but that is as far as it goes. Dr. Claw is unrecognizable. He is not even called Dr. Claw. He is called something like Scholex or something like that. Part of the idea of the character is that his face was always hidden but here, we see Rupert Everett's face all the time! It is not even attempting to bring the original villain to the big screen. Plus, in the cartoon, he didn't even have a proper claw.

Matthew Broderick as the Inspector, will I do think Broderick is a good actor, seems hopelessly miscasted. His character didn't have any Don Adams effect at all, his character was surprising bland and he didn't even say his catchprase "Wowsers" properly. Penny is now a early teen with brown hair and not the 10 year old with blond pigtails from the original while she also calls her uncle "Uncle John" instead of "Uncle Gadget". Brain is another missed oppertunity. Why is he played by a real dog? Brain almost played as big a part as Gadget in the cartoon, with his following around and disguises, wouldn't it had been better to have him done by a CGI character like Scooby-Doo? That would have been better. And also, the Gadgetmobile takes up most of the spotlight by giving him a talking computer engine. Why oh why does Gadgetmobile now talk? I never understand why the need to? I was the same in Inspector Gadget's Last Case, fans like it as a car that change vice versa to van/police car. Also, his voice sounded like an Aladdin's genie knock-off with lame jokes and pop culture comments.

Chief Quimby is present but is not working for Interpol but is just a regular police chief. Getting on to the other characters, Brenda Bradford is an okay inclusion but most of Joely Fisher's performance here is quite uninsipired. Mostly, just being like a damstal in distress for a lot of the movie. And did I forget to tell you that they are no MAD agents, not one. There is not an mention of the organization in the cartoon series that wanted to destroy Gadget! All we get is an wimpy scienctist, a bumbling fat minion and an Inspector Gadget clone who runs amok.

The film itself has a kid-friendly story which should keep their eyeballs on the action but for any adult present with them, it is very boring. The plot persists of mostly a moving foot that Brenda's dad invents for what I can remember and Claw steals it. Gadget then has locate the villains before he uses Brenda's dad ideas against the public or something like that. The effects are simple cartoonish and most the gags are one-liners. Two saving graces are the use of the original cartoon theme song and Don Adams's short cameo as the voice of Brain at the end.

Overall, this movie was very naff but it is not completely dire. Kids will get a kick out of it for sure and there is some things in the film that work like the chases and the fight between the two Gadgets on the bridge, which was mildly amusing. But if you are a fan of the cartoon, you are better sticking with that. I only wished that the film stay more true to the original, it would have been much better.

3.0 out of 5 stars fun if you are a kid, 16 July 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Inspector Gadget [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
Adults will rember the cartoon series, this is not it. Disney has made a live action film that most adults will not care for, but if you are in your early teens or younger (8+) then you will find the film a fun time to watch. The effects are good but the best is the gadget mobile (the best thing in the film) and worth watching for that alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 July 2014
K. Petrie (UK) - See all my reviews
Great

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids, 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: Inspector Gadget [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
Originally bought as a Christmas gift but given early owing to good behaviour - my two aged 6 & 8 have already watched it 3 times and think it is brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 17 Sep 2013
This review is from: Inspector Gadget [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
Bought this for our twin grandsons after watching the film on TV.
They have watched it over and over and over again!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 6 Sep 2013
This review is from: Inspector Gadget [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
I saw this when it was first released and really liked it as did my two boys.We have just replaced the dvd and decided to watch it again after all those years. Still just as good,loved the cartoon as a child.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspector gadget is a scream, 16 Nov 2012
John M. Jones "abermick" (Aberystwyth, Wales UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inspector Gadget [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
So much fun with this daft as a brush built up cop, is there any part of gadget that is not the original person, as he has things coming out of all orifices and a few that just come out, from where, know one knows.

4.0 out of 5 stars Film Club Review - Inspector Gadget, 8 July 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Inspector Gadget [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
Our school film club thought that this was a brilliant film and we would recommend it to 7-12 year olds.
We enjoyed most of the film but some bits were better than others. We all agreed that the special effects made the film memorible.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a Brilliant film!, 4 Oct 2000
By A Customer
When I went to see it for my birthday me and my friends really enjoyed it we wanted to see it again and again it was so good.After that we rented the video and all wanted to watch. I would defenetly reccomend this film because even my step dad and mum enjoyed it and they don`t normally like watching films at the cinemas.

2.0 out of 5 stars Expecting More?, 10 Sep 2006
Andrew Kerr (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Inspector Gadget [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
Inspector Gadget was released in 1999 and is based on the cartoon of the same title. It was directed by David Kellogg and stars Matthew Broderick as Inspector Gadget, and Michelle Trachtenberg as Penny. Also making an appearance are Joely Fisher, Dabney Coleman, Michael G. Hagerty and Rupert Everett.

The film follows a man (John Brown soon to become Gadget) who has an accident while attempting to stop someone who has just killed Dr Brenda Bradford's father and stole his work. When he wakes up, he finds that his body has been repaired by an array of gadgets, thanks to Dr.Bradford, who has made him into a robotic crime fighting man-machine.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the cartoon when I was a kid, so straight away I had high hopes for the film. Sadly I was left very disappointed. The entire film seems rushed. I was looking forward to sitting down and watching what I thought was going to be an enjoyable picture. But to my surprise again, the film ended, after a mere seventy five minutes (and five minutes of that was credits, as well as little CGI inserts added every now and again to try and beef out the film). I didn't like the fact that the talking car comments that's their in a Disney Movie. I know I'm watching a movie, I don't need the characters in it telling me. Claw's (who seem seemed to lose his Doctor's title for the sake of the film) hand was crushed by a bowling ball, that happened to land no where near his hand. The ending is weak. I know this is a Disney, and essentially a children's film, but they could have put a bit more effort and thought in. There are no special features at all on the DVD, which came as a surprise considering the sheer history of Inspector Gadget.

But it's not all bad. Inspector Gadget was better on the second watching. I don't know exactly why. Perhaps because my initial hopes had passed, and I wasn't expecting anything from watching the film again. As I said it's a short film. While it's too short for me, this isn't necessary a bad thing for all concerned. It mean it's more suitable for children who would otherwise struggle to sit through an longer and or more complex film. Some of the visual gags are actually good. As well as some good special effects. The talking car is a nice touch which has been done well. I liked the scene of people fleeing in the streets at the site of (bad) Gadget's hand puppet of a dinosaur. But none of this really compensates for the weak plot, dialogue, shallow acting, monotone structure, and general boredom that Inspector Gadget gives you. I feel that there is just something missing, the spark that makes a film great just isn't there.

So yes, Inspector Gadget did deserve a second chance. Has it done enough for me to recommend it to you. No, there is a lot of excellent films out there, but this is not one of them. Inspector Gadget may have been better kept as a cartoon, simply updated into a feature film. If you're a long time follower of Inspector Gadget, or have a child that's obsessed with the concept, then fair enough, it might be worth you're time, just don't expect too much. Otherwise stay clear.

Inspector Gadget [DVD] [1999]
Inspector Gadget [DVD] [1999] by David Kellogg (DVD - 2001)