Format: DVD|Change

on 1 May 2016
Classic Woody Allen comedy
on 26 December 2013
Contrary to wide belief, Annie Hall is not Woody Allen's greatest film- though it surely must rank as one of the best examples of a breakdown of a loving relationship.

Annie Hall as you would expect is full of wit, charm and a script to die for. Allen is in confident form, with his players and himself eager to speak to us the viewer. I can imagine that the likes of Jerry Seinfeld were inspired somewhat by this film and their own approach to comedy.

Diane Keaton probably plays the role of her career- and deserved her oscar as Allen's love interest. And it's always so nice to see New York from the 70s. The East-West coast rivalry is rather funny.

A sharp eye will notice a young Jeff Goldblum, he's literally on screen for a couple of seconds as an extra.
on 25 February 2016
a Woody wonder
on 2 February 2016
Classic film
on 5 August 2014
I was a Woody Allen fan, especially in my early 20s and really enjoyed his excellent return to form with Midnight In Paris from a few years ago. So, I was looking forward to seeing his award-winning Annie Hall again but, oh dear, how the film (and maybe me, too) have dated.

Whilst I used to enjoy and partly relate to Allen's usual nervy, neurotic film persona in the past, now I just found him and his pseudo-intellectual co-parts annoying and tiresome. Although Annie Hall's jumping forwards and backwards in time was clever at the time of release, I can't really see now how the film and its performances warrant the acclaim they still receive. Maybe it's because it's something of an urbane New York 70s period piece though I'm afraid I just found it dated and quite excruciating at times.
on 22 February 2015