5.0 out of 5 stars fab mahler beautifully played, 17 Oct. 2007
Gerald M. Allen "gezza" (thirsk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mahler: Symphony No 1 (Audio CD)
this is better than the famous dg kubelik mahler 1.....sound brilliant, rustic and very mahlerian, "echt mahler" as they say in yorkshire!! just perfect, everything right and what a finisher kubelik is... buy and enjoy

gezza

5.0 out of 5 stars a complement to the studio recording, 14 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Mahler: Symphony No 1 (Audio CD)
I did buy this while already owning the DG studio recording fo Kubelik. I was hoping for a similar interpretation with better sound.
After hearing this one, I must conclude that I cannot choose for one of both. I agree with another reviewer (reviewing the Audite 2010 sampler version of this disc) that one can own both. The studio recording sound more extreme in bringing out the vulgarities in Mahlers music, but probably this is partly an impression based on recorded sound.
The hughest difference is in the 3th movement (this is also the movement from where the main part of the additional duration is originating). It's indeed less vulgar and significantly slower, even so much that I almost think Kubelik cannot avoid to be "sleppend", what should be avoided. Happily, it's followed by one of the best final movements I've ever heard.
My conclusion is that both DG's and Audites recordings are worthy to be in any Mahler collection. But I think the studio recording is unique, while this one has an approach that can also be found in other versions.
(As reference, I also own Ancerl, Walter and Honeck/Pittsburgh; all these recommendable in my opinion.

Mahler: Symphony No 1
Mahler: Symphony No 1 by Gustav Mahler (Audio CD - 2000)