OVO

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic millennial epic
Published on 23 Jun. 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars A fragmented and disjointed offering.
This latest recording is no "So" or "Us"! We, the fans have been patiently waiting a long time for the next studio album, unfortunately this is not what we expected. There are some outstanding moments i.e. Iarla O'Lionard's voice on "Low Light"; "The Weaver's Reel"; and "Downside-up", but the whole project is tiring and...
Published on 6 Sept. 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic millennial epic, 23 Jun. 2000
This review is from: OVO (Audio CD)
OVO is the soundtrack to the Millennium Show, a spectacular acrobatic performance which is the centrepiece of the Millennium Dome in London. To hear the music without experiencing the incredible aerial extravaganza in The Dome, produced with rock stage designer Mark Fisher, is perhaps to only appreciate half of the artwork. Despite a cynical reception from the notorious British press, The Dome in my opinion is an amazing achievement Britons should be proud of. It has some touching and deeply profound statements expressed in the architecture and artworks within.
I therefore like to think of OVO as a soundtrack, because my memories are intertwined with images of the show. It was with this in mind that I purchased the CD, as you might want the soundtrack to a thought provoking film.
OVO was intended to celebrate the past, present and future of Britain and is based around the story of pre-industrial, industrial and post-industrial society (what's to come).
The tracks reflect this and describe events in history such as the industrial revolution in 'Time of the Turning'. There are some beautiful phrases such as 'Did you see it move, it's in the very cloth that I weave' refering perhaps to the spark of genius in the weaving industry which started the whole industrial revolution. Intertwined with these stories of our nation's history are the sounds of the traditional and modern instruments of multicultural Britain from brass bands to indian pipes and electronic guitar.
All the songs, particularly those describing a optimistic future of harmony with machine and nature, are very reflective. They capture your moods with profound phrases and haunting solos. 'Downside up, upside down' for instance paints the scene of us moving from an inhuman age of machine and greed into that of harmony;'The only constant I am sure of, is this accelerating rate of change'.
My favourite lyric from the last track 'Make Tomorrow Today' could be the epitaph to the whole album, it says simply; 'what better measure of what you were doing here, than what you can leave behind'.
Peter has left behind a record of our culture, emotion, history and hopes for the next millennium at the end of the second.
Breathtaking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gabriel's mature genius shines through, 21 Jun. 2000
J. Howes - See all my reviews
This review is from: OVO (Audio CD)
Don't expect anything conventional from Peter Gabriel's latest CD. In the 8 years since "US" was released (1992), PG's periodic work has shown an evolutionary move from his early, experimental pop/rock to a fusion of pop and world music. This "soundtrack" to the UK's Millennium Dome show chronicles three generations of a single family in the midst of fundamental societal changes: the agricultural and industrial revolutions followed by an undetermined future. The music follows suit, emerging in a variety of styles and sounds, ranging from near-classical to ambient soundscapes. PG's vocals are featured on several of the tracks but he is joined by others on many. The hauntingly beautiful track, "Father/Son" is likely to get the most airplay. Another favorite selection is "The Time of the Turning," featuring vocals by Richie Havens. True to his past albums, this one pushes the envelope, creating altogether news sounds with the skill and artistry that have made PG a major force in music. PG fans won't be disappointed; newcomers will find SOMETHING worthwhile amidst the rich offerings. This is a great CD, making me impatient for the release of PG's upcoming album, "UP," later this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Gabriel's Strength, 20 Nov. 2000
This review is from: OVO (Audio CD)
First of all I have to tell that Peter Gabriel is my favourite singer, because of his voice,for his romantic and personal music. Gabriel is not just "Sledgehammer" or "Biko". He is much more than this. Authentic Gabriel - besides Genesis - came in his first album, with masters Fripp and Levin support. OVO make part of his evolution, more than twenty years after his first job in his own and also eight years after US he has make the effort and who knows it will be the last one. I like the album but not just because it is Peter gabriel. Is energetic, romantic and powerful. Songs like today "Downside up" and "Make today tomorrow" are so romantic but at the same time they adquire some rythms with a lot of power. I have to remember that Gabriel is supported by Tony levin at the bass, Dave Rhodes at the guitar, and some others good musicians, specially Daniel Lanois or singer Richie Havens: I also like Elizabeth Fraser singing and Paul Buchanan. The opening song is also romantic and mystic and is full of faith and magic; The second one is sang by Richie Havens. It seems like Peter doesn't sing to much in this album and he appears like chorus or backing voice, but it's always Peter Gabriel and everything he touch turns magic. The album mix this romantic songs with some other instrumenal and not so deep songs. I also read the Story of OVO and it's peculiar and beautiful but the album is really personal and it sound is something that Gabriel didn't do before. That means he is always trying to improve himself, though he didn't appear during this eight years. I particulary like this album more than US, maybe because is the last job, but also I think is stronger than US. Has to be good because we always look the new jobs of our favourite artists making a comparation of what you liked before, but OVO is something new, different, something that you can not compare...and also is a Peter Gabriel work, which is an important credential, because it exists just one Peter Gabriel. Maybe we will remember some other songs (San Jacinto, Here comes the rain, Mercy Street, Wallflower, Solsbury Hill, Mother of Violence, Love to be loved, Fourteen black paintings, In yor eyes...)but OVO is also beautiful and means love for all US.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh, this is good, 12 Dec. 2006
C. Porter (Worcester, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: OVO (Audio CD)
It's good, but not classic Gabriel. Not quite, anyway.

I'm a huge Blue Nile fan, so Paul Buchanan's presence on a couple of the tracks really sweetened the deal that this album is. The other vocalists all add to the experience, too, as detailed in other reviews below.

But ultimately, this is music designed to accompany a show - and whilst it did do that brilliantly in places (the sequence of the show that was accompanied by "The Tower That Ate People" was INCREDIBLE!), there is still an element of 'soundtrack' about it upon re-appraisal. To put it another way, without the visual element, it appears to be slightly lessened.

And in terms of being a cohesive album, it struggles. In writing music about the universal human experience, it tries to touch on too many bases by trying to integrate too many musical styles.

And it isn't really a Peter Gabriel album in any tangible sense either, as his voice isn't holding it all together - only really prevalent on a couple of tracks.

As a document of the show it is terrific, and the production values and songwriting etc. are all off-the-chart excellence. And you get the sense that PG stands in the wings on everything you hear.

Unquestionably great quality, then, but slightly misfiring as a stand-alone work.

Still pretty damn essential.

4.0 out of 5 stars And Interesting Project, 26 Jun. 2012
This review is from: OVO (Audio CD)
If you've come this far then you probably know that this is a soundtrack for the Millennium Dome Show. One of the main aims of this project was to seam world music and who better to do that than the creator of WOMAD.

This CD isn't as focused as his other soundtrack projects and it's greatly misses the visual aspect which you can see in the booklet. Also it probably should be said that Peter Gabriel only really starts singing in parts from Track 5 onwards. His lack of a vocal presence in favour of other vocalists really distances himself from this album. Although it should be said that this album is more of an ensemble effort than just Peter like the Blue Ball project. I really wish he sung the parts that Paul Buchanan sang as it seems hes just copying his vocal style anyway (Make Tomorrow - especially).

This release is worth it to get the tower that ate people/Revenge/White Ashes and The Nest that sailed the sky/the tree that went up/Make Tomorrow. The Tower starts off sounding like an almost 2000's King Crimson improv and at times sounds almost like the residents (White Ashes). Although you may want to skip downside up which in my opinion is peter gabriels worst track. Its just lame and it somehow makes an appearance on the still growing up live DVD and New Blood I hope he pulls this track out of any future live sets. The Ovo version is the best as it neither Melanie Gabriel or Peter sings this track.

I would recommend this one after you've checked out his other 'proper' albums and soundtracks first. Ovo, scratch my back and new blood sort of serve as stop gap releases (which was said in another review) as we patiently wait for I/O will we see it in 2012?

4.0 out of 5 stars Start at track 2 but the rest is really good, 5 Dec. 2014
This review is from: OVO (Audio CD)
I saw Peter Gabriel at Wembley the other night (on 3/12/14) and it was a fantastic show. There were a couple of songs I didn't know and one of them was from this album, I found out when I Googled the setlist the next day. I did not recognise it because (I realised) I had only played this album a couple of times in the car and then forgotten about it. Today I decided to try again, and it's much, much better than I remembered. It's a grower. I still hate the rap first song but the rest of it is really good. Give it a try. Just start at track 2, would be my advice!

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly astounding album, 11 July 2000
This review is from: OVO (Audio CD)
Peter Gabriel has always led the field in popular music, and with this album, in his 50th year, he has produced something truly astounding. Never an easy listen, the music on this album runs easily through several styles - from rap to the elegant beauty of Downside Up. At times intensely moving, I feel that Gabriel has seldom been better. Surprisingly he leaves most of the singing to others - but when THAT extraordinary voice cuts through, the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. I have lived with this album for 2 weeks now, and I'll be very surprised if I buy another album as good this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ovo, 9 July 2006
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: OVO (Audio CD)
Despite being written for the millennium show, this album is credible in it's own right. Ignore the first track, it is good for setting the story, but not too much else, but the rest of the album is a moving experience. It has lots of world influences and is a slow builder. Some tracks are slow and build tension, whereas others are uplifting and moving. Best to listen to in it's entirety (first time round) and not isolated tracks. I love this album and it was what started me on my love affair with all of PG's music. Try to track down the original millennium show version of this album if possible, it has additional tracks and I feel it to be much better!

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars The History Of The Human Race - Stunning, 1 Dec. 2014
This review is from: OVO (Audio CD)
Peter Gabriel's seventh studio album, it's also the soundtrack to the Millenium Show that was staged at the Millenium Dome in London in late 1999.

A stunning concept album covering the history of the human race from the dawn of time to the Millenium, it includes such diverse and brilliant songs as The Tower That Ate The Sky, Father, Son and the sublime Downside Up.

Not just a great soundtrack album, also one of the best studio albums he created.

Very, very highly recommended, a definite must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 16 Feb. 2007
Amazon Customer (Uckfield UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: OVO (Audio CD)
Despite being a big Gabriel fan for many years, he had slightly dropped off my radar while I was busy making babies, etc. So I had missed this until recently, and it makes me wish I had seen the show. I can live without the rap track which doesn't seem to fit well with the rest, and frankly I don't care much for rap music anyway; but I find the mix of different music styles generally very interesting. The Irish reel is particularly exciting. There's a lot of atmosphere, and plenty of emotion, without being melodramatic or slushy. I listened to this for the first time having just had a bit of an argument with my son; so "Father, Son" reduced me to tears. "Downside Up" is the highlight for me, a great song, but there's a lot of good stuff here. I do agree with the reviewer who pointed out the similarities of vocal style between Gabriel and the male vocalists he invited to take part, Paul Buchanan and Richie Havens. But maybe there's a bit of modesty in there, and he didn't want it to be about PG. I'm very glad to have added this CD to my collection.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

OVO
OVO by Peter Gabriel (Audio CD - 2000)