5.0 out of 5 stars Musical Masterpiece
Published on 23 Nov. 2007 by Mr. John L. Dyble

3.0 out of 5 stars Great band - but not their best.
Cards on the table - I love alot of what QMS produced in their early years. The first album is indeed one of my all-time favourite albums - I bought it on vinyl out of curiosity and was hooked - magical stuff. But 'Happy Trails' is the classic , the one everyboby should have - or so the prevailing opinion goes.
Well I'm afraid I am not convinced - and dare I say some...
Published on 25 Jun. 2012 by I. Stuart

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical Masterpiece, 23 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Happy Trails (Audio CD)
Bought this superb album when it was released and it has always divided opinion amongst all my friends as to its merits. Sure the vocals are unimpressive and at times the album labours. But this album contains in my opinion some of the finest structured guitar passages i have had the pleasure to listen to. The 5 minute Gary Duncan solo on When Do You love is simply amazing and still delights even today. Worth buying for that track alone. Other wonderful moments are Mona, Calvary and Maiden of the Cancer Moon. It does sound slightly dated but the lovely liquid guitar sound has only ever been emulated on early Country Joe and the Fish albums. Buy it and you will be in guitar heaven.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic that's got lost in Translation, 8 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Happy Trails (Audio CD)
If there is one album that would neatly justify the description 'not for all tastes' then this is it but for goodness sake folks don’t write it off just because you don’t get it!
For example one reviewer here says 'Better than anything the Grateful Dead ever did'. Such a comment would have any self-respecting old hippie tutting and shaking their heads. It’s nothing like the ‘Dead, it’s nothing like Cream. Believe it or not it actually has it’s own identity. To the reviewer who criticized the lyrical content. Please do your homework, they were written largely by Bo Diddley. Go accuse him of being lowbrow – see what response you get!
OK, so this album is clearly dividing opinion and maybe I'm not the best person to sum it up because I love it so but I felt the need to defend it from some of the attacks it has received here. About the audience participation: anyone who knows what it was actually like to be there, somewhere on the west coast, in the arena during one of those 'acid rock' gigs (hardly anybody called it that in those days) knows that audience participation was both such a new and an unusual thing that the musicians and the audience were learning as they went along. The most famous example I suppose being the ‘rain chant’ at Woodstock. Happy Trails contains one such segment that some reviewers seem to find objectionable. Why? What would you have done if you were there, NOT join in? I bet you would have ;-) It’s all about the time and the place. It's also one of my favourite parts of Happy Trails, building up the tension, finally exploding into a thoroughly expected but nonetheless satisfying guitar ambush. What’s not to love about that? Oh, I forgot it’s ‘one long yawn’ (another reviewer).
Damning with faint praise is one thing but putting something down because you don’t ‘get it’ just shows the ignorance of the observer. It really ill behooves anyone who doesn't understand the contemporary influences and surroundings of a recording, to pass such negative comment on something that was as carefully and lovingly crafted as this album. Remember the old saying about the sixties: ‘If you can remember it you weren’t there maan’. I'd like to add to that: If you think you know what you’re talking about, you probably don’t. That might apply to me too but this album is in my all time top ten. And no I didn't need drugs to like it! (although they might not have hurt...)
Cheer up folks and go with the flow.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Classic of Its Time, 20 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Happy Trails (Audio CD)
I can see why some people aren't that keen on Happy Trails, as 30-plus minutes of Bo Diddley rhythms won't be to everyone's taste. This occurred to me when I was subjected to a lengthy patch of some modern electronic stuff in the barber's the other day (some youngster might be able to inform me to which sub-sub-genre of 'dance' music it might belong), and nothing is quite so tedious as lengthy work-outs on one or two chords with a cement-mixer rhythm behind it, if you don't appreciate that particular brand of it. Each to his own; the various snippers seemed happy enough to work all day with it blaring out, as much as I found it a truly awful experience.

And Happy Trails does hammer away relentlessly. Still, I'm a sucker for that West Coast guitar sound, and John Cippolina perhaps was the San Francisco guitarist who encapsulated the essence of it best of all. His solo on 'Maiden of the Cancer Moon' still grips me as it did some 40 years back when I first heard it. Gary Duncan was no mean guitarist either, and he had a good voice too, barking out Bo Diddley's lyrics with enthusiasm. 'Calvary' is a fascinating instrumental with Latin overtones that ends up in a barrage of feedback; it could have slipped into melodrama with its tolled bells at one point, but keeps within the bounds of good taste. It also slips nicely into the title track, an incongruous and delightfully silly cowboy song which ends what was a pretty lengthy LP.

I must admit that I don't play the 'Who Do You Love?' suite in full that much; I usually programme it to omit the audience chanting in the middle. Greg Elmore's drumming isn't well recorded, which gives it a much more leaden feel than on other QMS albums.

And so, a classic? For me, it's one of its time, and one that has stood up pretty well over the decades. It has its faults, but where it's good it is indeed good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic album of West Coast psychedelia, 3 Dec. 2000
David Sandilands "DSNet" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Happy Trails (Audio CD)
Who do you love and Mona are excellent examples of QMS live , the audience interaction is exciting and enervating, Cipollina's guitar playing is ecstatic and moving. Calvary is like a psychedelic spaghetti western and is quite in place and a good ol' boys yippee ay yay ending in Happy Trails means a great trip is guaranteed for all you heads out there :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars An all-time classic and rightly so, 19 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Happy Trails (Audio CD)
This is simply the San Francisco live,'acid rock', sound at its best. Obviously comparisons with the Dead will be made but for reasons well expressed by the other reviewers here they are pretty meaningless. I can understand why opinions are divided over this album, indeed at first I didn't like it myself being unable to as we said then, "get my head round it". However, I persevered (probably because you had to like it to be cool then) and I am so glad I did. It is one of the great, maybe the greatest, guitar album(s) flowing in a way that no other has ever equalled. Don't look for structured songs here just, to quote the Airplane,"ride the music". One of the two or three albums that would be in my top ten whenever you asked me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A landmark of 60's Psychedelia!, 31 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Happy Trails (Audio CD)
This album is very experimental to say the least..... The albumhas few singing parts to be fair, but the long psychedellic leadbreaks, influenced no doubt by Spanish and Indian classical music alike, are superb and haunting. This record is definately not the sort of record I'd buy if I was looking for something with many short and catchy tunes. But for mellow moods or psychedellic moods this album is really something very special. I can think of very few songs with lead guitar as varied and surreal as that found on this album. "1983" by Hendrix, and "Through with you" by the Lemon Pipers are the only two that come to mind immediately. To sum this review up, a must for fans of psychedellia and 60's music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Marmite, marvellous!., 1 Nov. 2013
Mr. G. Morgan "wes" (Haywards Heath, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happy Trails (Audio CD)
If Pepper is the most overrated 60's album, this is one of the most underappreciated. I bought it because NME said it was good circa 1975 and I was amazed. And I remain delighted at this beautiful and evocative disc, the fluid guitar combo of Cipollina and Gary Duncan thrills me as much now as it did then, in its way as lovely as Duane Allman and Clapton on 'Layla' though utterly different and of its time. The 'Who Do You Love' side is a treat, stretching it to nearly half an hour, in fits and starts, crescendo and lull, evoking the sagebrush country of Nevada where I lived from 1981-83 in a way Proust would recognise (just one Cip tremelo does it for me, still). This is the quintessential live Quicksilver sound: tight, sort of Tex Mex more than San Fran and different from the other Bay bands...maybe the Spanish flavour of the original California. And the rest, well 'Mona' has the piercing, eloquent guitar pairing and is sweet where the voice is sour, 'Calvary' like a clarion in the wilderness and the whole summing up the west ...well in the way the cover does, really. In fact, the cover captures the mood beautifully: psychedelic yet rooted in something older, very much of the Old West and the newer, 1960's wild. Nothing else is quite like it and it's one my Desert Island Discs that's for sure, maybe my One. Luckily it's not the Dead (bless 'em) or Airplane (them too) OR QMS as one can have them all ....and I love them all. This is the one I play most, though. Everyone should at least TRY it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive, 5 July 2005
Shivari (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Happy Trails (Audio CD)
I recently pulled this out off the shelf where it had lain unplayed for - oh, maybe 20 years. Usually when I do this, I smile with nostalgia - and then cringe.
But this album is still superb. It is the definitve West Coast psychedelic rock album. Beats anything the Grateful Dead ever did - and British bands were never really good at improvising.
"Who do you love" is a 25-minute improvisation on the classic Bo Diddley song. It has excellent dynamics, superb guitarwork from both John Cipollina and Gary Duncan. The audience participation section is weak - if you just listen to the hand-clapping and ignore the subtle tension the band are building up, which explodes into a blistering solo from John Cipollina.
Side 2 consists of 3 songs, "Mona", "Maiden of the Cancer Moon" and "Calvary", that need to be listened to as a single piece. The dynamics here are very different, even though "Mona" is another Bo Diddley song. The music here floats and flows, underpinned by shimmering guitar. As "Cancer Moon" ends in a soft haze of feedback, "Calvary" comes in, soft, beautiful, almost poignant; it builds up in power, with lightning flashes of feedback reflecting a storm of anger. A few moments of chaos, before peace and silence settle. This is superb piece by any standards. To call it "tedious noise" (previous reviewer) is sheer nonsense. Hint: look up what "Calvary" means!
This is not blues rock, so if you're expecting something like the best of Cream, forget it! This is psychedelic (mind-expanding) rock; you need to allow yourself to float in the stream with it, not consume it. This is at times ferocious, other times delicate and subtle. This is rock improvisation of the highest order.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, very much of its time, 29 Jan. 2014
P. Martin "Paulo" (Navan, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happy Trails (Audio CD)
First, my hat off to 'See Why' for his excellent review. I have the original vinyl album in a storage shed with most the rest of my belongings back in the States, and reading that review made me so want to hear it again, I'm going to buy a new (CD) copy. This is one of the favorite albums of my youth; I can still "play" most of the songs, complete, in my head, I listened to the album so many times - and it was fresh every time I played it. Re the live tracks - The live version of almost any song is bound to lose some of the sophistication, for lack of a better word, and sound quality that can be achieved with long hours in the studio - but you DO recapture some of that energy and excitement that would have been in the air at the concert, now so many years ago. This really is a classic - far and away the best album Quicksilver ever did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic album - a must for QMS fans, 24 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Happy Trails (Mlps) (Audio CD)
This album is just so good, it should be in every QMS fan's collection. This version is a very attractive Japanese edition with an obi sash, and a lyric sheet (written in Kanji characters, but, fortunately for those not skilled in Japanese, also translated into English). It makes for a delightful package and a real collector's item. Definitely worth looking out for.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Happy Trails
Happy Trails by Quicksilver Messenger Service (Audio CD - 2002)