5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly fantasmic!!!!
Published on 20 Sep 2004 by M. A. Sutton-Croft

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting slice of female fronted euro-progressive-metal
I bought this album on the back of hearing the excellent opening track 'She Is My Sin' and have to say I'm pleased that the rest of the album is pretty good as well.
The music is pretty traditional euro-metal with a hint of prog.
Pretty competent and entertaining but not in itself outstanding.
What makes Nightwish a little different is the vocals. The bands...
Published on 30 May 2004 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly fantasmic!!!!, 20 Sep 2004
This review is from: Wishmaster (Audio CD)
This album just blew me away!! I'm a new Nightwish fan. I heard their new album, Once, and was simply blown away. Okay, I have to admit, I did find it a bit overdramatic at first, but once I got into it it's the best music I've ever heard. I love the subtle way that Tarja's operatic vocals intertwine with the blitzing guitar riffs. You hear this on all the Nightwish albums but I think it is particularly noticeable on this one, especially on songs like "The Kinslayer" and "Bare Grace Misery". Anyway, if you like your metal to be musical and catchy while still feeling raw and aggresive, buy this album!!! In fact buy all their albums, they're all great!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Total Magic!, 26 Feb 2003
This review is from: Wishmaster (Audio CD)
Wishmaster, is a work of pure genius. The mixture of that pure and beautiful operatic voice from Tarja, and the deep rock undertones with wonderful lyrics, it is an instant masterpiece. Tracks such as Cover me, Wanderlust, and the beautiful Two for Tragedy, will stay with you , but the piece de resistance, has to be the moving and very haunting, Dead Boys Poem. Now, classed as one of my favourite pieces, ever. Wonderful, Cd, now i have acquired Oceanborn, which i feel is almost as good, as wishmaster, but not quite.
A true asset to any collection, wonderful piece of art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Opera meets Deep Purple?, 2 Aug 2005
This review is from: Wishmaster (Audio CD)
It might sound an impossible combination, but imagine a female soprano fronting Deep Purple or Iron Maiden. That's what Nightwish are like, though they're from Finland. My cousin gave me this album recently and I can't get the songs out of my head. Let's face it, this is one of those bands that you instantly love or instantly hate; I love 'em!
Forget all this "death metal" rubbish and get Nightwish; they're leagues apart from all the plonkers who're trying to be the next Maiden or Purple. Nightwish are a unique band and I can only implore you to buy their stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars OHMY GOD!, 14 Jan 2005
This review is from: Wishmaster (Audio CD)
hey! im a new Nightwish Fan.My best mate bought "Once" as soon as it was released and i was blown away by the first track! So i set about gettin the whole collection. Without doubt "Wishmaster" and "once" are the two best Nightwish albums around. From the amazing "She Is My sin" to The Superb piano and guitar work on "wanderlust" this album is a total work of art! Get their entire collection it is totally worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nightwish's best album., 2 Dec 2005
This review is from: Wishmaster (Audio CD)
I fell in love with Nightwish completely in the opening seconds of 'She Is My Sin', the opening track of this album. I'd been intrugied by them previously, particuarly as at that time in my life, metal bands fronted by classically trained opera singers were somewhat new to me. The word that springs to my mind whenever I think of this album, and it may sound cliched, but it is 'magical'.
OK OK, I am gushing a little. But this album is excellent from start to finish. Every track is of a very high quality. Unlike many (most, in fact) albums, there are no tracks on Wishmaster that I feel inclined to skip. It feels a crime to skip a track when listening to Wishmaster.
Personal highlights here: The opening track, being classic Nightwish-by-numbers (and that's not a bad thing!), the opening of 'Deep Silent Complete', the haunting beauty of Tarja's vocals in 'Dead Boy's Poem', and the interlude/flute solo in 'FantasMic'.
A lot of people seem to have got into Nightwish recently with the commercial success of 'Once' and 'Century Child'. Well, if you like those albums, Wishmaster is certainly for you. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars bliss, 1 Aug 2003
This review is from: Wishmaster (Audio CD)
Now you've heard every type of music before, so it takes a lot for a band to stand out. This band is made of some highly talented musicians, and they by all means stand out. Reminds me of bands such as within temptation and lacuna coil. the female vocalist is great with the greatest of riffage behind her and some excellent solos found on every track the album has everything to make it one of your favourite cds of all time!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Album Of The Best Band, 11 Mar 2005
This review is from: Wishmaster (Audio CD)
I consider this album to be the tip of Nightwish excellence, mastership and talent. Tarja's voice is better than ever. The album is much tighter musically and conceptually. On Wishmaster, all the tracks are works of mastership. I still have to hear another album, by this or any other band, that would surpass the depth and scope of emotion or the musical virtuosity of Wishmaster.
From the raw power and aggression of Kinslayer - to the saddest emotions of Two For Tragedy - to the spine-chilling epic of Dead Boy's Poem, this album is the definition of what true music is - beautiful, evocative, mysterious, powerfull and moving.
Wishmaster is, and will remain, my favourite album, not just by Nightwish but by any band, for simple reason that it never fails to touch my heart and soul with its magic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent prog metal, female vocals, perfect....., 27 Feb 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Wishmaster (Audio CD)
I am a prog metal fan. I only got into this music by taking a chance and buying albums that I've heard to be good. With this one I was not disappointed. It seems to match the guitar rifts and melodies to other bands such as iced earth and others. But, what makes this different, what makes it stand out? The female vocalist, a strange style of possibly even operatic type singing (just faster), it contrasts and compliments the rest of the music. This is extremely effective in creating something new. Like I said earlier this album is good, and if you like strange music (like me) this would have to be a must. Even if not I'd go and buy this just for a change, like it or not you have to agree that it is something totally unique. The album does also share slower tracks and heavier tracks (most are inbetween, but there seems to be less slow tracks).
Just go and buy it, go now!

5.0 out of 5 stars OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!, 10 Jun 2005
This review is from: Wishmaster (Audio CD)
I had never heard of Nightwish until a friend played me this album last week. Just to say it blew me away. Words can't discribe how powerful the tunes are along with haunting vocals. It's just FANTASTIC!! I have now ordered all Nightwish cd's. you MUST buy this. You WILL love it. Just amazing, it really is. WOW!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 14 Sep 2007
This review is from: Wishmaster (Audio CD)
This is the beginning of the best nightwish music. Faultless tracks brilliant clarity blending power with delicacy.

Wishmaster
Wishmaster by Nightwish (Audio CD - 2000)