Size: 1/2 Napf & Pinsel|Colour: 12 Farben|Change

on 6 January 2011
Being no stranger to Cotman water colours I was looking forward to receiving my half pan studio set. I was delighted at the vibrancy of the colours, the selection and the very handy palettes, one of which helps keep the pans from falling out (a problem I've experienced with the small sets). Opening it I felt like a kid in a sweet shop. The shiny, colourful half pans are like little hard boiled sweets. It even had a space for my favourite water colour brush to fit. As far as value for money is concerned it is worth while. With each half pan individually priced at £1.69 in my local art store, it is really, really good value.

I'd recommend it to anyone passionate about water colours and as a relative beginner myself, I would certainly recommend it to others as there is no finer set of water colours to bring life to a piece.
0Comment|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 January 2011
Great product. The watercolours are of very high quality in a good assortment of colours.

The box closes tightly shut, which means I can carry it around in my bag without fear of loosing the small paint cups.

The inside of the lid can be used to mix colours, and since the colour cups can be removed (each colour comes in a small plastic cup that fits in the box) the whole box can be rinsed out if needed, whithout damaging the watercolours.

The paintbrush is made of 2 parts that fit into one another in case you want to make it smaller, but it fits as a whole in the box so there should be no need for this. The brush is of high quality and can be used for very fine strokes (with the tip) or wide strokes. It doesn't loose its hairs. I have lots of high quality brushes I had no issues with, but since I bought this item I find I am always using that brush. The handle is shorter than my other brushes' but this doesn't make any difference.
on 8 February 2009
excellent value for money. Ideal for just starting out or for taking out and about.
on 30 September 2013
Winsor & Newton are not cheap but have good name for water colours. This set, however was a good price.
I already have one of these as my art teacher recommends it as uses one herself.
I bought a new set, as some of my old colours are running out and it is cheaper to buy a complete set than replace individuals.
(I actually used the supplied brush the other day, which works very well.)
You might want to get a larger set later but I don't need a lot of colours for most work I would prefer to add add odd tubes as I need them (such as white gouache). Besides, mixing colours to make another is part of the 'fun' (or do I mean frustration).
P.S. If you are new to this game, don't forget to make a little plan of the layout, on watercolour paper, with the colour codes and a small dab of the paint. This helps you plan the colour mix and, although it sounds a bit geaky, keeping a note of how you arrived at the colours in a painting can be very useful.
on 25 February 2011
Superb service and superb product. This cost so much more via other art suppliers and to have 45 colours in such a compact set is fantastic. In fact, for me, a beginner, my problem has been identifying the different colours to use because there is so much choice. I just bought a half pan from Hobbycraft that isn't included in this set and just one cost me £6, so you understand the value for money in this set. It gives you a good start and when you know what colours you tend to use, you can buy them separately (though they will cost more than you get in this set).Cotman The Half Pan Studio Set (45 Half Pans)
This is a really good watercolour set from Cotman. The two palettes and mixing tray make it quite self-contained. Both palettes may be used within the case, or removed for use separately. One of them may also be clipped onto the side of the case. This makes the box very versatile, for using hand-held or setting out on a table. It comes with a full-size Cotman number 3 brush, which is of good quality, though I imagine anyone interested in a pack like this will already have a few brushes.

The pack comes with the following pans: burnt sienna, hooker's green dark, alizarin crimson hue, lemon yellow hue, indian red, spa green, cobalt blue hue, cadmium yellow hue, burnt umber, yellow ochre, cerulean blue hue, cadmium orange hue, payne's gray, raw umber, veridian blue, and cadmium red hue. It also come with three tubes: chinese white, ivory black, and ultramarine.

It is not the cheapest set on the market, but it is a good quality offering.
on 10 February 2010
I'm being asked questions about toys, and although these paints could be used by a child, they are much more than that and are suitable for adults learning to paint. Cotman water colour paints are the more economical range from Winsor and Newton made by replacing some of the more costly pigments with less expensive alternatives. I find they are very good paints for the money. This set gives you 24 whole pans. There are also various sets available with colours in the half pan size.

I've had a set like this previously, and liked it. After a year or so of art classes, some of the colours are running low so getting myself another just the same.
on 17 October 2011
Been looking everywhere for one of these little sets, and am very pleased to have finally found one.
Great for those who paint on a recreational basis, and don't need too many colours.
Also great for watercolour beginners who want to try it out.
good value for money, would and have reccomended
on 2 May 2015
The product was delivered extremely quickly (arrived the next day) and I am very happy with the quality. The case is sturdy and has a flip out palette and space for a paintbrush. The paints come individually wrapped in Winsor and Newton packaging, and there are 40 colours with doubles of alizarin crimson hue, ultramarine, yellow ochre, ivory black and chinese white. Great price for the amount of paints you get.
review image review image
on 3 September 2010
Brilliant selection of pans excellent value ideal for established artist or beginner great to have so many colours in easy to transport and use pallette.