4.0 out of 5 stars Darn Womanly
This is a guillotine of an album. My husband hates it. I love it. We'll never agree. Buffy screams and screeches like Hecate through half the songs and the rest she lilts and lullabies. Scream melts into lilt and lilt graunches back into scream. It's pretty powerful goddess stuff. I think my husband's just scared.
Published on 13 Jun 2005 by Miss S V Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Schizophrenic
Published on 1 Mar 2001 by P. Bryant

3.0 out of 5 stars Schizophrenic, 1 Mar 2001
P. Bryant (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Illuminations (Audio CD)
A difficult one to honestly recommend. Half of this record is brilliant, and half very dubious. Buffy was moving away from her folky days, and "Illuminations" was supposed to be her "electronic" album at the time (1968). Which it isn't, except for a few tweets and warbles here and there. The good half contains some stunning music, including her spinetingling setting of a piece of prose (you'd never know it) by Leonard Cohen called "God is Alive, Magic is Afoot"; then there's "The Vampire" and "The Angel" and "The Dream Tree", all lovely creepy folky songs, and not forgetting "Poppies", the weirdest thing she ever did, a real horror soundtrack ("his hands two hooks of steel"). Great. But alas, you also get some very lame Buffy-goes-rock things, and the one of the world's twee-est movie songs ever, "Guess Who I Saw in Paris". But hey, it's all sung by Buffy Sainte-Marie, who has The Voice. 5 stars for the good half, 2 stars for the bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Darn Womanly, 13 Jun 2005
This review is from: Illuminations (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars A mesmerizing tour of women's hardships through time, 15 Sep 2007
Frank B. Jacobsen "frankbj" (Sønderborg, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Illuminations (Audio CD)
I have this album on an old cassette tape, and it's getting worn out. I must have it now that I see it's available on CD.

The album changes its mood all the time in unpredictable ways, chained together by pleasant electronic effects, changing between acoustic and electric.

At the heart of most of the songs lies the conditions of life for women through the times - as witches, as sailors' wives, as lovers, etc.

It's like Buffy is playing a new role on each number - somethings she is really good at.

A tribute to one half of humanity, which never rejects the other half. I, as a man, certainly don't feel rejected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant if you're a fan., 16 July 2012
M. Lee "Keys" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Illuminations (Audio CD)
I had a copy of this album on vinyl when it first came out (that's showing my age). It was stolen in a burglary many years ago and I was unable to find a replacement.
I think it is a brilliant album though unlike most of Buffy's work. It wont be to everyone's taste but with the track "God is alive, magic is afoot" it is worth having just for that if you're into old hippy psychodelia as I am.

Illuminations
Illuminations by Buffy Sainte-Marie (Audio CD - 2000)