5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 8 May 2012
Adam Whitworth (uk) - See all my reviews
One of my favourite CD's; some of the most wonderful music on earth and the performance is exquisite. I fancy Bach's trio sonatas were originally written as organ solos and having heard them that way I can only say how thankful I am for these transcriptions. I also have the sonatas played on guitar and harpsichord, that is pleasant but this album by London Baroque is so stunning. I know I'll never tire of it and I play it often.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful stuff, 27 April 2012
I have listened to this cd a lot, the playing is fantastic the music beautiful. I also think the sound quality is superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic disc, 2 Sep 2010
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bach: Trio Sonatas BWV525-530 (Audio CD)
Please note: This is a review of the recording by The Purcell Quartet Bach: Trio Sonatas BWV525-530. Amazon have mistakenly added it to the page for London Baroque's recording, too, where it doesn't apply.

This is an absolute cracker of a CD, I think. The Purcell Quartet have been making wonderful, highly acclaimed recordings for well over a quarter of a century now. This one is exceptionally good even by their own enormously high standard.

The works are transcriptions of six of Bach's Organ Sonatas (BWV525-530 to be precise) by Richard Boothby, the ensemble's excellent viola da gamba player. He has made a really good job of bringing these wonderful pieces to a wider audience (including me, as I'm not much of a fan of organ music). This is, of course, very much in Bach's own idiom - he was an inveterate arranger and recycler and a couple of the movements from these sonatas appear in his cantatas and concertos. Boothby's transcriptions are ingenious and varied, which maintains one's interest throughout while keeping the music unmistakably Bach. It is exemplary work and I think Bach would thoroughly have approved.

The Purcell Quartet play together with a delightful empathy both with the music and each other, and the music absolutely glows. The performances are simply terrific. It has been sheer pleasure to me to find unfamiliar and wonderful works by Bach played so well.

I really don't know what more to say other than that this has become one of my very favourite Bach discs in a pretty extensive collection. The recorded sound is excellent and the notes extremely interesting. It's an outstanding disc all round and very warmly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars unusual but beautiful, 6 July 2012
Amazon Customer (Cranleigh, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bach: Trio Sonatas BWV525-530 (Audio CD)
I have heard the Trio Sonatas for organ many times, but this quartet version is very beautiful and of the highest quality.

ARRAY(0xa7623780)

Bach: Trio Sonatas BWV525-530
Bach: Trio Sonatas BWV525-530 by Purcell Qt (Audio CD - 2000)