4.0 out of 5 stars Why is everyone so defensive about Welsh lyrics?, 26 Jun 2003
S. P. Maxwell (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Mwng (Audio CD)
Looking through these reviews, it seems that many people feel the need to mitigate the fact that this album is in Welsh. I understand this - they are trying to win over people whom they are afraid will be put off by this feature, but I have to ask: how often do lyrics enhance pop songs? In my view, except with a very few bands, most lyrics are either indifferent or, at their worst, actually harmful to songs. It seems musical talent is more widespread than poetic talent. I don't know how it is, but lyrics often seem better when you can't understand them. Perhaps it's like a magician on stage - he mustn't reveal too much, or the illusion is spoiled. That's how I feel about this album. The mystery and wonder generated by Gruff's singing in a language I don't know, yet somehow still communicating, is far more valuable to me than knowing exactly what words he is using. I don't need to know the lyrics - his voice, the music itself, tells me, and you, what they are saying far more eloquently than words could. Well, that's what I think, anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 Burning Questions, 30 Jan 2002
This review is from: Mwng (Audio CD)
In attempting to write a review for Mwng I've basically answered the three questions that I wanted to know before buying it. Firstly, what's it like? Well its SFA on a shoestring budget. That is, you still get the top-notch quality songs/production but they come with a more limited instrumental/vocal scope (still its SFA so you still get more than your average band). Secondly, will the fact that its a welsh language album bother me? I don't know. One earlier reviewer seemed to suggest that you could listen to Mwng as a chill out album, and thus overlook the melodies. However, I have found this not to be the case. Gruff's melodies are just as poignant as ever, if not more so, to the point that on many occasions I have found myself singing along to the songs not knowing what the hell he, or I, are on about. Stupid heh? And finally, is it their best album? No, that honor goes to the superb Rings Around The World (especially the DVD version). Nevertheless, Mwng is my favorite SFA album as it has been crafted in such a beautifully manner, with an abundance of breathtaking brass sections that, coupled with the reduced instruments/vocals, give it an unmistakable warm feeling. My only word of caution is that Mwng is a slow starter/burner (albeit this does seem to be the case for most SFA albums).

5.0 out of 5 stars British Hansard Parliamentary Record, 7 June 2000, 8 Jun 2000
abegoa (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mwng (Audio CD)
"This House congratulates Super Furry Animals on their chart topping new album 'Mwng'; notes that this is the best selling Welsh-language album of all time; notes that the Welsh language is re-establishing itself as a central part of popular youth culture; and that that this album is a celebration of Welsh culture embracing the new wave of confidence in the Welsh nation."
It's true. Plaid Cymru members of parliament congratulated the Furries.

4.0 out of 5 stars cool as ever, 26 Jan 2001
This review is from: Mwng (Audio CD)
The music's classic indie, but it's SFA so it's never going to be boring. The album's extremely varied in style, although not as experimental (or just plain mental) as previous album Guerrilla. As for the language, if you don't speak Welsh there's no problem because the music speaks for itself. Besides, in all honesty you never understand a word Gruff Rhys is saying when he sings in English, do you?

5.0 out of 5 stars quality albwm, 7 Mar 2004
This review is from: Mwng (Audio CD)
beth alla i dweud? it's all in the title of his piece. da iawn i chi, bois, a phob lwc yn y dyfodol.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best Welsh language album ever?, 11 Mar 2005
Mr. M. L. Hawes "Mitchmusic" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Mwng (Audio CD)
OK, bear with me, I'm not Welsh, nor a Welsh speaker, so I cannot give you an in depth study of the lyrical prowess and deep meanings the SFA's achieve with Mwng, but that needn't necessarily keep music fans away.
What we have here is a collection of fine pop tunes, all sung in Welsh (as the song titles may suggest). There's the usual degree of SFA's weirdness and curions noodlilng, but on the whole, it's a briliant pop album.
Now, perhaps the next reviewer could give us some idea of what these excellent songs are all about!

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't speak Welsh!!!, 2 Nov 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Mwng (Audio CD)
I can't even say Cymru properly, but still thought this an excellent and typical Super Furries album! Charlotte Church eat your heart out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 18 Jun 2012
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Mwng (Audio CD)
When I first listened to this album I wasn't enamoured. I felt that the vocals weren't great. Having listened to it numerous times, the vocal style seems to add to the brilliant tunes on this album. The later SFA albums are more "produced"', this one is direct and accessible, even if you don't understand the lyrics. I know a little bit of Welsh, so I can appreciate it even more. Give this album a few plays and I reckon it would be hard not to love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best welsh language album I have ever listened to!, 29 Sep 2000
This review is from: Mwng (Audio CD)
I love this album. In fact I'm going to buy the 2CD US import today for the extra tracks.
The music is rich and diverse, sounding like the Beach Boys in one moment and then Neil Young the next. The fact that all the songs are in Welsh adds an extra dimension to it.
It's just a fantastic album - way ahead of Guerilla. Buy it now

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music, do we need to know what they are saying ?, 2 Sep 2000
This review is from: Mwng (Audio CD)
As usual the Super Furries do not disappoint. This album, which is ludicrously ambitious, delivers the same quality that SFA's fans have become accustomed to.

ARRAY(0x9822aed0)

Mwng
Mwng by Super Furry Animals (Audio CD - 2004)