5.0 out of 5 stars Classic singer/songwriter fare
Published on 25 Jun 2001 by Dave Leeke

2.0 out of 5 stars ...NOT NEW - NOT IMPROVED...AVOID...
Published on 23 Jun 2009 by Mark Barry

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic singer/songwriter fare, 25 Jun 2001
Dave Leeke (Orwell River Delta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tea for the Tillerman (Audio CD)
This album is a high watermark for early 1970s singer/songwriters. Always a popular one with the cheesecloth wearing fraternity - and not just the ladies - Cat Stevens seemed to hold many of us in his spell for a few years. This is technically better than "Mona Bone Jakon" but the songs on that previous album, for me, are superior. It must have been the (first) near-death experience. However, having bought this recently on CD has allowed me to drive along singing along happily. There are not that many albums from 1970 that I can more-or-less remember all the words to! Maybe that shows how strong the songs are. I don't actually think that the songs are too airy-fairy or hippy. Some of the songs such as the opener "Where Do The children Play?" stand up well today with its anti-pollution lyrics. I was also struck by the amount of mentions of the "Good Book" (sic) and the lyrics to "Miles From Nowhere" mention, "Lord my body has been a good friend, but I won't need it when I reach the end", I guess he wasn't quite so convinced as the seventh wave approached.
It's great to have an absolute classic on CD all sparky bright and sounding great (lending vinyl out in the early 70s was a dangerous hobby)and songs like "Father and Son" and "Wild World" are worth a lot in these days of trite Beatles rehashes. However, I think that if you enjoy this you should explore "Moan Bone Jakon" too.

5.0 out of 5 stars tea for the tillerman, 3 Jan 2005
This review is from: Tea for the Tillerman (Audio CD)
I was introduced to cat stevens in the 70's by my Father. As a young child i jollied away to them while he listened. Later I became embroiled in the new romantic scene in the eighties while i was a teenager, Cat stevens seemed so uncool. About ten years ago i rediscovered him and introduced him to my young family. They have all fallen in love with him including my wife who had never heard of him. This album in particular is a masterpiece to anyone who hasn'nt listened to Cat try this first. It is a sublime collection of beautiful songs that will stay in your heart for your entire life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another masterpiece, 24 Jan 2011
This review is from: Tea for the Tillerman (Audio CD)
Cat Stevens made a fresh start in 1970, reinventing himself as a folksy singer songwriter after an uncomfortable early career as a pop singer. Tea for the Tillerman was part of an artistic outpouring in 1970 and 71. It is definately up there with some of his best albums, and I'd say runs a close second after his next album Teaser and the Firecat. The music shows how simple acoustic music can be beautiful and enchanting. Opening with a succession of Cat Steven greats, there are many gems, but my favourite has got to be the penultimate song Father and Son. A must have in every collection. Cat Stevens was a great singer songwriter, his songs are so moving and beautiful, he cannot be trumped. If you've never heard of Cat Stevens you're missing out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Tillerman, 1 Oct 2010
This review is from: Tea for the Tillerman (Audio CD)
I was drawn back to Cat Stevens in September 2010 when I watched his concert "Majikat" on More4,and was amazed at rediscovering this musical genius.So I immediately bought Tea For The Tillerman on CD and played it.What a treat....memories of better times came back to me as I listened to this fine musician and singer....

The standout track for me has to be Sad Lisa....such depth of emotion and desperation in the song,at not being able to reach poor devastated Lisa,who "hangs her head and cries on my shirt/she must be hurt very badly".

I also loved Where Do The Children Play?", "Into White",and "Wild World",the latter song a timeless classic.

Cat Stevens should be given a Lifetime Achievement Award for his services to music.Fortunately he has made a bit of a comeback,
with his recent US tour and new album "Roadsinger",but in the 21st Century is perhaps in danger of being relegated to the "oldies"
section of popular music.

This album is a must-have in everyone's record collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars THOUGHT PROVOKING MASTERPIECE, 22 Mar 2001
Michael Bermingham "mjbermingham" (Birr,County Offaly,Ireland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tea for the Tillerman (Audio CD)
This is another outstanding album from Cat Stevens which to my judgement is just only surpassed by the 'Teaser' album.From the opening song 'Where do the children play' to the final short 'Tea for the Tillerman' this album has class written all over it.The original version of 'Father and Son' has never been surpassed and the rest of the album after 'Wildworld' and 'Hard headed Woman' is filled with largely unknown gem's.Buy and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Father and Son, 29 Jun 2003
Mr. Robert Cooper "umgowa" (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tea for the Tillerman (Audio CD)
I bought the album in vinyl when it was first released and I thought it was wonderful. That was around 30 years ago. Now I have bought it on REMASTERED CD and it sounds fresher now than when he first baked it.
This song (Father and Son) is so evocative for anyone who loved their father and realises now that he knew you better than you imagined back then. It also comes home when you are a father yourself and realise that generation gaps exist, but mean very little if the real foundations of the relationship are solid.
Yes, this is very deep. But Cat Stevens was a deep thinker and he wrote some of the best lyrics ever.
He was good enough to have cover versions of his songs (from this album) to be sung by todays artists this century! And the originals are still better.
This song moves me as surely as it ever did.

2.0 out of 5 stars ...NOT NEW - NOT IMPROVED...AVOID..., 23 Jun 2009
Mark Barry "Mark Barry" - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
When you put a CD-Album or CD-R into a Mac or PC linked to the Net, it automatically seeks out the Gracenote Media Database to get the track list and classification details. If you have already altered it before and are looking at it again - your computer recognizes the disc and any alterations you've made - it remembers it - and shows you those details next time you put it in. Common practice all over the world for millions of music lovers using iTunes as a database...

So imagine my astonishment when I put in the 2008 supposedly new remaster of Cat Stevens' "Tea For A Tillerman" into my computer after I've unwrapped the shrink-wrap and up comes my OLD DISC with its altered details! Why? Because this is NOT an improved version as indicated on its packaging and in adverts, but the 2000 version all of us already have. The tracks timings are exactly the same (36:46 minutes) and there is NO NEW REMASTER.

And if that's not bad news enough - when I opened the other Cat Stevens DELUXE EDITION "Teaser And The Firecat" which I also bought this morning - it's NOT CHANGED EITHER. They are exactly the same as the old versions - NEITHER is any improvement to discs you can purchase on line for peanuts.

When I then turn to the packaging and booklet to find an explanation, there are three references to 'remaster' - first is on the sticker, second is Page 7 of the booklet which tells you it was 'recently' remastered by Ted Jensen (no date) and last on Page 27 which again mentions his name (but again no date). It slyly and deliberately doesn't mention "when" it was done...in short, this is an old disc masquerading as a new one and is deliberately deceptive about it.

But there's worse - I bought this DELUXE EDITION of Tillerman on the strength of a track on the recent 3CD Island Folk-Rock Box set "Meet On The Ledge". Track 2 on Disc 2 is Tillerman's "On The Road To Find Out" which has been given a 2009 remaster by DENIS BLACKHAM - and the sound is ASTONISHING - a huge improvement over the 2000 version. When you hear how good this 'whole' album could have sounded, it makes this deceptive lazy rip-off even more difficult to stomach.

Disc 2 doesn't make up for much either (36:49 minutes). While the bonus tracks on "Teaser" (see separate review) are excellent, these aren't. Admittedly there is two indispensable gems on here for fans - the demo versions of "Wild World" and "Miles from Nowhere" - they're beautiful. But the rest of the live tracks are poor man's filler. Any why weren't these demos put on the initial release in 2000 in the first place...

I don't know to what level Yusef was involved in this, but it is surely not in keeping with his beliefs or commitment to his fans to have this rip-off in the marketplace. The DELUXE EDITIONS of "Tillerman" and its companion "Teaser" should be withdrawn by UNIVERSAL and replaced with proper 2009 remasters.

What a disappointment and what a bad taste left in the mouth... AVOID.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'for you will still be here tomorrow but your dreams may not', 23 Nov 2009
Deven Gadula (san francisco, ca, united states) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tea for the Tillerman (Audio CD)
This was Cat Steven's masterpiece and a lot of us had this album recorded on tape with his Teaser And The Firecat on side B. That is how we used to listen to music many years ago so we would not damage our albums (just some extra info you can shock your parents with). Cat Stevens had a huge following because the music of his songs was as powerful as the meaning of his lyrics. Both were simple and beautiful. It all seemed to flow straight out of Cat's heart and the inspiration had started after a serious illness tied him down to a London hospital for a period of many months. Success followed Cat Stevens and showered him and many around him with riches. However, Cat Stevens seemed not strong enough to be able to live the life of stardom and not let the emptiness which comes with it to affect his balanced core (as is often the case).The balance had broken, like the morning has broken and one day, while drowning in the Pacific Ocean he asked God for help, and promised to work towards God's glory if saved. Apparently a huge wave came out of nowhere and carried our singer to shore. That was the beginning of the end, because Cat Stevens meant his promise quite literally, unfortunately for the millions of fans who could have used the perfect way of transmission of his simple golden words. On the other hand, quite frankly, rare are these humans (and it very well may have a lot to do with how unaffected by their so called success they become) whose power of creation doesn't fade away. Personally I find a lot of his later albums without the spirit of Tea For The Tillerman. Perhaps it was time for him to focus on other things in life. I have purchased his music under the Yusuf Islam name and did not find much in it, either. Perhaps I was not able to come up to its level. However, I respect him as a human being tremendously, and I think that when we pull his songs we used to cover out of new editions of our albums and when we start pretending that he did not exist simply because he switched out of our way of life, that is purely a sign of our insecurity and hypocrisy. Remember - we are supposed to be the guardians of freedom. My favorite songs of Cat Stevens are the following: Sad Lisa, The Wind, Where Do The Children Play, Father And Son, If I Laugh, Monshadow, Where Are You, O Caritas, Hard Headed Woman, Oh Very Young, Morning Has Broken, Wild World, Lillywhite, But I Might Die Tonight, Rubbylove, Sitting, Miles From Nowhere, Peace Train, On The Road To Find Out, Northern Wind, Trouble, Longer Boats, Lady D'Arbanville.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every track's a winner, 30 Jun 2007
This review is from: Tea for the Tillerman (Audio CD)
I grew up with this and "Teaser and the Firecat" as a teenager, as my mum was a huge Cat Stevens fan and played them over and over again.

Thirty years on I own my own copies and play them over and over again! If you have headphones, use them - it really brings out another layer altogether, it's the songs as you know them - but sweeter, fuller and so much more involving with him singing directly into your ears!

These 2 albums belong together, you can't have one without the other.

If you've never owned a Cat cd before, I promise you this is a great place to start - buy this and "Teaser and the Firecat". For me, this was when Cat Stevens was at his absolute best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great songs, great memories!, 28 May 2011
Ms. Pam J. Cole "Pam" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tea for the Tillerman (Audio CD)
When I was at college in the 1970's, I bought the 'LP' of this album, and loved it. I listened to it over and over again, but then about 15 years ago my old record player went to the dump, and I didn't have anything to play my records on. Many years went by, and eventually I remembered this album and ordered the CD. Well the rest is history - again I can't stop listening to it! The songs are vivid, imaginative and thought-provoking. If you like great music and lyrics, where you can easily hear every word, and the songs are played on 'proper' instruments including accoustic guitar, then this album is for you! I hope (and am confident) that you will enjoy it as much I do.

Tea for the Tillerman
Tea for the Tillerman by Yusuf/Cat Stevens (Audio CD - 2000)